LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Podcasts thread. A thread about podcasts.

Finished eBay vs Paypal. Damn interesting. On episode 5 of Coke vs Pepsi and I find it equally fascinating. 

2 hours ago, Angel P said:

Finished eBay vs Paypal. Damn interesting. On episode 5 of Coke vs Pepsi and I find it equally fascinating. 

I need to start listening to this show. Episode 1 of Sony vs. Microsoft just released.

Business Wars is currently doing a short 3-episode story about Xbox vs Playstation.  First two parts are out now.  Edit: and I see Cameron has already mentioned that.  Oops.

Other things from Wondery I've found and like are American HIstory Tellers and American Scandal.  Scandal is new and I'm currently listening to the BALCO steroids story and it's pretty good.

2 hours ago, Whooter said:

Business Wars is currently doing a short 3-episode story about Xbox vs Playstation.  First two parts are out now.  Edit: and I see Cameron has already mentioned that.  Oops.

I've been catching up on that again-just finished ebay/paypal.  I tend to wait until a whole set is finished, and go through them in one shot.  Would rather these got released as single long episodes Hardcore History style, but there's no harm in waiting for a bunch to build up I suppose.

12 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

I've been catching up on that again-just finished ebay/paypal.  I tend to wait until a whole set is finished, and go through them in one shot.  Would rather these got released as single long episodes Hardcore History style, but there's no harm in waiting for a bunch to build up I suppose.

Yeah, I usually do that, too, but I'm all caught up on other stuff.  Part 3 came out yesterday, but haven't had a chance to listen yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whooter said:

Yeah, I usually do that, too, but I'm all caught up on other stuff.  Part 3 came out yesterday, but haven't had a chance to listen yet.

Just finished it. Wish there were more than 3 as it seemed like they rushed through it. Southwest vs American was interesting as well. 

1 hour ago, Angel P said:

Just finished it. Wish there were more than 3 as it seemed like they rushed through it. Southwest vs American was interesting as well. 

Yeah, I felt the same way.  Was surprised when it was only 3 episodes.

I sure don't like those reconstructed conversations. I can think of a few reasons why they decided to do it; but I just don't like it.

There was one conversation during the Southwest episodes between two guys who both had Texas accents. Maybe the narrator nailed the accent, I don't know. What I do know is that neither person was from Texas. The podcast even pointed that out minutes before. I guess any conversation that takes place in Texas comes with a Texas accent?

Totally nitpicking one thing in a frequently informative and interesting podcast. And maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

27 minutes ago, Robot Monkey said:

I sure don't like those reconstructed conversations. I can think of a few reasons why they decided to do it; but I just don't like it.

There was one conversation during the Southwest episodes between two guys who both had Texas accents. Maybe the narrator nailed the accent, I don't know. What I do know is that neither person was from Texas. The podcast even pointed that out minutes before. I guess any conversation that takes place in Texas comes with a Texas accent?

Totally nitpicking one thing in a frequently informative and interesting podcast. And maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

Maybe it wasn't a Texas accent :)

15 minutes ago, AlbertA said:

Maybe it wasn't a Texas accent :)

That's totally a possibility. Except I think one of the guys was from New Jersey. Who knows? Like I said, it's nitpicking and I could be wrong anyway.

On 5/30/2018 at 8:52 AM, Angel P said:

Anyone listened to Business Wars?  It’s a documentary style podcast dealing with company rivalries. Each rivalry is a season and each season runs between 5-8 episodes, each running between 23-48 minutes.  I started with s5.  I’m liking it thus far though I could do without the conversational recreations.

1 hour ago, Robot Monkey said:

Exactly. For me, it’s not the accents. It just cheapens the production quality. 

• Like 2

I don't mind the reconstructed conversations, myself.  

For authentic Texas accents, I always defer to Brian.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Robot Monkey said:

For me, it felt weird because, on the Console Wars episodes, I know what many of the people in those conversations actually sound like. Hearing Phil Spencer portrayed in part three as a guy with a deep barotone voice was especially jarring.

Jay, if you like his Texas accent, you will love his Indian accent for Satya Nadella.

• Like 2

I tend to agree on the reconstructed conversations but see them as an example of how the podcast waters down its topics. It's a motif used as a method to advance the story but, like the bulk of the Business Wars podcast, it results in a simplified and muted cliff's notes version of events.

I enjoy the podcast but wish it would ask more of its listeners.

2 hours ago, Camp said:

I tend to agree on the reconstructed conversations but see them as an example of how the podcast waters down its topics. It's a motif used as a method to advance the story but, like the bulk of the Business Wars podcast, it results in a simplified and muted cliff's notes version of events.

I enjoy the podcast but wish it would ask more of its listeners.

Could you elaborate? I think I know where you're going (I think it echoes a conversation I had with somebody recently about something similar), but I'd like an example.

On 10/11/2018 at 12:38 PM, JFo said:

For me, it felt weird because, on the Console Wars episodes, I know what many of the people in those conversations actually sound like. Hearing Phil Spencer portrayed in part three as a guy with a deep barotone voice was especially jarring.

Jay, if you like his Texas accent, you will love his Indian accent for Satya Nadella.

Or the Russian accent for the PayPal hacker, or the Japanese accents on Sony vs Nintendo.

Oh God. That Podcast isn't done by the same people behind the Console Wars book is it? I really took a dislike to that on account of the fabricated conversations (unless someone could miraculously remember every single word said in a discussion 30yrs ago), and the audiobook version is seriously grating with irritating impersonations and accents. I'm sure my marathon training was made a lot harder than it needed to be on account of listening to that book earlier in the year. 

5 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Oh God. That Podcast isn't done by the same people behind the Console Wars book is it? I really took a dislike to that on account of the fabricated conversations (unless someone could miraculously remember every single word said in a discussion 30yrs ago), and the audiobook version is seriously grating with irritating impersonations and accents. I'm sure my marathon training was made a lot harder than it needed to be on account of listening to that book earlier in the year. 

It's not, but if you didn't like the conversation recreations, you very likely won't like these.