LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Podcasts thread. A thread about podcasts.

New podcast I've been listening to is the Cracked podcast. Interesting and surprisingly erudite at time.

Best intro might the recent "weirdly specific things certain actors do in all their movies" or something similar. It gets into auteur theory and a few other things.

My favorite recent podcast find (and probably most surprising as well).

The Cracked podcast is good, but some times heavily flawed.  I feel like while they heavily research some topics, they just miss or skip seemingly vital pieces of information.  It's very noticeable when it comes to sports, but it shows up in topics like pop culture as well.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History:  I like it, but it rarely ever updates.  I love his podcasts about World War I and Genghis Khan.

Serial, the new podcast from the team behind This American Life, is absolutely amazing.

The premise is to follow a single story over the course of several episodes and present an in-depth look at it.

The inaugural story is about a guy who may or may not be behind bars for murder and they are looking at everything. It's engaging and some of the best true crime stuff I've enjoyed in a while.

Hands down my favourite podcast of the moment and easily an overall top 5 just on these first episodes.

I'm a real latecomer to the Nerdist podcast. I've been listening to a chunk of episodes over the past several weeks now and they're really terrific. One of the latest episodes with Lea Thompson is delightful. 

I must give that a go. My late discovery was the QI Elves' podcast "No Such Thing As A Fish". Over a year's episodes up there, and I devoured them all. It's like QI turned into a competitive sport, rather than just something to pin some comedians' improv on.

The wonderful Adam Buxton has launched The Adam Buxton Podcast. My Saturday mornings have long felt incomplete since the end of Adam and Joe on BBC 6 Music (which itself spawned a podcast. and Joe for those interested is Joe Cornish who wrote and directed Attack the Block and originally wrote Ant Man with Edgar Wright). With Joe in Hollywodland now it leaves Adam all alone, but it's nice to hear him again. It's early days and I think it will take a while for it to find its feet and for Adam to decide what he wants it to be. Nevertheless, it's light and funny in a uniquely Adam Buxton way. 

Wired interviewed him about his return to the airwaves: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-09/18/adam-buxton-show-podcast-interview

The Richard Herring Leicester Square Theatre podcasts have been running for a long time now. They're regular lengthy conversations with people in the world of (mostly UK) comedy. His latest episode with Limmy is very funny, in fact the video version on Youtube is perhaps better than the audio version.

https://youtu.be/LcYvcCabfEE

My podcast list has changed a lot lately and shortened to one per hobby

/Filmcast for movies and tv which makes me laugh all the time

DLC for Video Games

Secret Cabal gaming podcast for board games (I skip some of the sections like RPGs )

Steve Austin Podcast (when he interviews people) for wrestling

11oclock Comics I still listen to but not on a strict schedule as I used to.

Now I have to say I have become a big viewer of gaming videos on YouTube and twitch for VG and Bg, so they has cut into listening time.

The Adam Buxton Podcast has been updated with episodes 11 and 12, two Christmas Specials with Adams ling time friend, former radio co-host and writer/director of Attack the Block (co-writer of Tintin and original co-writer on Ant Man). It's been four years since their radio show ended and it's wonderful to hear them together again. 

Yeah that was a good one. I really do enjoy the Nerdist.

Duncan Jones tweeted a pic of himself in the Nerdist studio. I hope that means he is a forthcoming guest. Speaking of Jones, Adam Buxton's podcast returned recently with a fantastic two-part Bowie special. 

I'm looking into getting Pocket Cast, but I have no idea how it really works since I've been using iTunes as my main program to get podcasts.  How big of a learning curve does it have?

No experience with Pocket Casts, I have always used Beyondpod, which has been great. Until recently. For some reason it messes with my phone coming out of 'doze.' I have a Moto X, which is known for it's custom pulsating in and out of doze, so I think this is likely a unique issue I'm experiencing. All of that said, I also use Google Play Music, and they recently add podcasts support so I've been testing it out. It's fine so far, nice to consolidate, although thus far not all podcasts are available. (Thus seems odd to me, i thought podcasts were one of those universal things, I'm surprised that all aren't supported out of the gate. Weird. Mybe I'll get interested enough some day to read a wiki on podcasts or something. Maybe.)