LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Podcasts thread. A thread about podcasts.

I've fallen down the hole of Edith Bowman's Soundtracking series. Lots of great chats with the likes of Clint Mansell, Danny Boyle, Justin Kurzel and so on.

On 22/09/2017 at 3:46 PM, Angry the Clown said:

I never knew such a podcast existed!

I only got pointed to it earlier in the week myself, and it’s rather wonderful. 

On 5/30/2018 at 7:52 AM, Angel P said:

Anyone listened to Business Wars?  It’s a documentary style podcast dealing with company rivalries. Each rivalry is a season and each season runs between 5-8 episodes, each running between 23-48 minutes.  I started with s5.  I’m liking it thus far though I could do without the conversational recreations.

Seasons so far:

1. Netflix vs Blockbuster
  2. Nike vs Adidas
  3. Marvel vs DC
  4. The First Computer War
  5. Nintendo vs Sony

I'm only through chapter one of Nintendo vs Sony, but I think I'm hooked...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Whooter said:

I'm only through chapter one of Nintendo vs Sony, but I think I'm hooked...

Finished season 5 - Nintendo vs Sony. Very entertaining indeed.  

Moving on to Netflix vs Blockbuster before starting Marvel vs DC. 

• Like 1

Yeah, it is awesome.  It dragged a little for me because i was interested in the Sony part, and then it shifted to Nintendo.  But eventually I realized I was also interested in the Nintendo part.  So yeah, really enjoying it.

• Like 1

Yeah. Definitely worth reading up on that story if you’re a Nerdist podcast, or whatever they renamed it to, listener. His public statement on the matter in which he belittles his ex does him no favours either. 

8 hours ago, AlbertA said:

So apparently Hardwick was an abusive asshole and is out of nerdist

He’s been out of nerdiest since he sold it off 2 years ago. What Nerdist did was remove his name as founder from the site. 

But, yeah, asshole. I had already unsubscribed from his id1ot podcast a few weeks ago. 

• Like 1

I was never a fan of the guy, something always seemed off with him. What a dick. I do have to say though , that as a women, who just started seeing a guy, how do you not leave the moment he sets rules like she said he did. It’s a giant warning sign.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JoeyN said:

I do have to say though , that as a women, who just started seeing a guy, how do you not leave the moment he sets rules like she said he did. It’s a giant warning sign.

Don't want to derail the thread but it's just not that simple. It's never that simple. Sometimes you have to be completely out of an abusive situation to realise you were ever in it in the first place (and even that statement is oversimplifying things).

• Like 2

Well shit-I've been listening to the Nerdist for a LONG time now.  Started on the original podcast around episode 10, and they were up in the 800s I think.  Not every episode after they started coming out too quickly, but I enjoyed a lot of Chris Hardwick's interviews, and thought they had some interesting and funny conversations on the show.  I'd fallen off in the past year or so, and I don't think I've listened to anything since the rebrand.  Never caught any indication from that show that the guy was a piece of shit. 

Anyway, back on topic, I just discovered today that the Ongoing History of New Music is still running as a podcast.  This is a fantastic radio show that Alan Cross has been doing for decades now on the history and development of alternative rock.  It seems like the podcast doesn't have all the original music in it (stupid rights issues), but still sounds like it's got some good content.  Going to check it out soon. 

As an aside.  I know that Bill Cosby is a monster.  I know that Louis CK is a perv.  Sounds like Chris H is an ass.  But damn, these people have meant so much to me.   Would reality stop kicking me in the balls please?

Started listening to Business Wars yesterday, and it's great!  Made it most of the way through Netflix/Blockbuster already, and I already have the rest of the back catalog downloaded and ready to go. 

• Like 1

I've started listening to American History Tellers, from the same folks that produce Business Wars, and it's been pretty good, too.  

On 5/30/2018 at 7:52 AM, Angel P said:

Anyone listened to Business Wars?  It’s a documentary style podcast dealing with company rivalries. Each rivalry is a season and each season runs between 5-8 episodes, each running between 23-48 minutes.  I started with s5.  I’m liking it thus far though I could do without the conversational recreations.

Yeah me too... it cheapens the presentation IMHO. I dismiss them as "yeah probably never took place".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlbertA said:

Yeah me too... it cheapens the presentation IMHO. I dismiss them as "yeah probably never took place".

Exactly. 😕

Pimping for my buddies podcast.  You guys will like this.  He and his gal have started a podcast called "Beers and Fears", wherein they discuss brewskies, dream interpretation, gruesome history, and phobias.   Check them out at https://beersandfears.com/ .   The both have very pleasant voices and already sound like seasoned veterans.  

Send him comments with your favorite topics, and tell him Carlucci sent you.

Carlos.