LCVG
JFo

Mentions: A Pie in the Sky Feature Wish

I was thinking about this today, and decided to post it here not because I’m asking this feature to be added (I’m not even sure it can be to be honest), but because I can’t think of another good place to bring it up.

You know how you get a notification on Facebook or Twitter whenever someone mentions you or responds to one of your comments?  Wouldn’t it be nice if something like that worked on these forums?

So let’s say I ask a question in the PS4 thread and someone responds to it.  It would be nice to get some sort of prompt when I come back that says someone responded to my post.  Or if someone quoted me in a thread.  Or maybe someone just mentioned my username in a post and I’d like to see why.

After thinking about it, I’m amazed that this isn’t something I’ve seen on any Internet forum software.  It seems like such a no-brainer feature.

I was thinking about this today, and decided to post it here not because I’m asking this feature to be added (I’m not even sure it can be to be honest), but because I can’t think of another good place to bring it up.

You know how you get a notification on Facebook or Twitter whenever someone mentions you or responds to one of your comments?  Wouldn’t it be nice if something like that worked on these forums?

So let’s say I ask a question in the PS4 thread and someone responds to it.  It would be nice to get some sort of prompt when I come back that says someone responded to my post.  Or if someone quoted me in a thread.  Or maybe someone just mentioned my username in a post and I’d like to see why.

After thinking about it, I’m amazed that this isn’t something I’ve seen on any Internet forum software.  It seems like such a no-brainer feature.

Lots of forums do subscriptions to threads that give you the notifications that you're looking for, I think, at least to chosen threads. GAF's software will show you who quoted you.

If you look at the right corner on LCVG, you should be able to "follow" a thread & get notifications of new posts etc.

The thread subscriptions are a step in the right direction, but not exactly what I was thinking of, Brian.  They're more like a blanket notification system that alerts me whenever anyone posts anything in a thread.  What I'd like to see is more specific.  I only want to know when someone quotes me, responds to me, or mentions my username in a post without having to do anything extra.

Like I said, it's pie in the sky feature wish that I imagine isn't easy to implement, which is probably why I haven't seen it anywhere.

Some of this is already built into the forum.

User%20CP%20-%20LCVG.png

So, you can receive a Notification or Email (or both) for any threads you follow, you can do the same for anytime you are quoted, and you can set it to auto-follow any thread you post in, just in case you forget to follow it.

Would that take care of most of it?

• Like 1

And if we switch back to the "Like" system rather than the up-votes, you can get a notification for that too. The points would still work, so that might be a good idea for us to think about.

I don't use any of the notification stuff, but after posting this, I think I might start.

Thanks.  I turned on notifications for when someone quotes me.  That should do a lot of what I wanted.