LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Cappa

No Man's Sky - (PS4, PC) August 9th 2016 US - Time for one more E3 demo!

I'm very, very interested in the potential here.

Made by only four people, No Man's Sky looks insanely ambitious. The planets will have their own ecology and ecosystem, according to Hello Games' Sean Murray, who noted "We're all playing in the same universe." So the stars you see in the sky are actually other planets that other players are playing on. Madness!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-08-hello-games-debuts-first-person-action-adventure-no-mans-sky

Graeme    51

Looks pretty interesting. Will be interesting to see how the procedurally generated worlds actually end up. Some of the scenes gave me a real Homeworld feel. Wonder what the actual game is though.

Cappa    180

Dropping out of the sky like a meteorite during the VGX, No Man's Sky is the game that's seemingly captured the imagination of every video game enthusiast on the planet. But, aside from the amazing trailer, there's not a whole lot known about Hello Games' cosmically ambitious game. Here's the info we've found scattered about the galaxy.P

In interviews with various websites, the devs at Hello have mentioned that players will be starting at the edge of space heading to the center of the galaxy. It'll be the same universe for all the game's connected players but individuals will be able to blaze their own trails with consequences that will ripple outward.P

• "Every planet and every star-system in the game is created procedurally, but they all make sense and have ecology. Once they are discovered by one player, they exist for everyone else, and so the act of discovery is also an act of creation. Having said that, according to Murray, players can make significant changes to the places that they visit that endure for everyone else. [Polygon]12P
  • Grant [Duncan, the art director] said it the other day. 'Is this the first game that doesn't have a skybox?' It's such a weird thing, it's such a techie thing, but that should be our opener: the first game with no skybox." 34P
  • Everyone who plays No Man's Sky will begin the adventure on their own planet at the edge of a shared galaxy. [Eurogamer]5P
  • Any planet you discover on your journey is marked on your galactic map, along with its name, its atmosphere and what resources you found there. If you choose to, you can then share that information with every other player, uploading it so that it's shared across everyone's galactic map.P
  • You'll get credit for discovering it. You'll also, if the materials there are valuable, attract players to come visit.P
  • "How it is at the moment, is that you can't die, but you can lose everything…There is no saved game. Your game will be saved, your progress is saved all the time as you go along, but if your ship is destroyed then you go back to a lifepod and you've lost that ship, and that is your everything." P
  • "You are not going to boot up the game and find a 15 minute tutorial. You are not going to find a classic RPG structure. P
  • "Don't take this the wrong way, but our background is as console developers, and I think everything about the game bears hallmarks of that. In terms of your controls, in terms of the fluidity of the game, this is not a quirky, hard-to-decipher experience." [Rock Paper Shotgun]6P

Read through the write-ups and you'll see mentions of how other players will be able to barter or grief each other No Man's Sky's huge unpredictable science-fiction creation. It sounds like each player will have the chance to leave their mark in the shared galaxy, which might be just the most enticing thing about No Man's Sky

Romier S    648

60fps on consoles:

We want to replicate that] feeling of responsiveness, of bounciness, of what I would call ‘console gameplay that Joe Danger had. That’s how we want No Man’s Sky to feel: responsive, immediate, running at 60fps.

Read more at http://www.worldsfactory.net/2014/01/14/no-mans-sky-to-have-responsive-60fps-console-gameplay#W8oAC3KxoHr1GdUU.99

iainl    118

Oh my. It's that "watch lots of dinosaurs game" I've always wanted, too? Hype level up, massively. And I didn't think that possible.

Cappa    180

this and Rainbow Six Siege is like someone read my mind and created exactly the two types of games I wanted.

Romier S    648

Survival sandbox, yeah. It's a genre that has been well represented lately. Especially with heavily emergent gameplay ala Rust or the DayZ mod, etc.

The Forest which recently went early access in much in this vein, too. Survive as long as you can given the tools that are abound in the world.

Not to say this game is /exactly/ that but I like the direction these games are taking by giving the experience over to the player. I'm all for story driven narratives in games but its nice to have these types of experiences, too.

I'm still in awe of that Sony presentation trailer. 

I'd buy a Morpehus for this alone if it gets VR support. 

I love the concept of survival to be honest, and that it can be taken beyond that of horror. To think you could also rob someone completely of everything they have achieved in the game I think might also play on one's conscience as to whether you might choose to engage in a fight or not in this too. 

Starhawk    235

Even more:

I lol'd in amazement around 7:15 when he describes how large the universe is and the likelihood of running into another player.

I find Sean Murray's accent fascinating. He's Irish via way of Australia before moving to England. 

I'm in awe of the idea that the likelihood of encountering another player will in fact be so slim due to the vast infinite space and planets being planet sized. I wonder if you can draw messages in sand for people to read and things like that. Suddenly encountering another player would be incredibly exciting since it's so rare.