LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
foogledricks

sitescoutadserver

Is it a chrome extension Keith? There have been stories lately about popular extensions being bought by shady people, and then they are injecting ads via the extension. It can be difficult to diagnose as malware protection doesn't currently identify them.

I can't say I've ever had a popup the entire time I've been coming to the site.  Not once.  Ever.

Per Joel's suggestion I will turn off all of my Chrome Extensions.  The weird thing is that the pop-ups only happen when I got to LCVG.  But that might just be a coincidence related to how frequently I go to this site : )

If you begun visiting less frequently, I'm pretty sure no one would notice.....or care. It's up to you. Pop ups are annoying, so I am pretty sure you coming here less would work well for your computer, and the entire LCVG membership for that matter. Just a suggestion.

I'm not getting pop-ups, but on my IE browser, the "back" button is not returning to the list of threads with new posts, like it used to do until about a week ago.  Most times, it stays right were it is, and if I look at the history, there are a bunch of "continue" pages in that list.   Something is amiss.

Carlos.

I'm not getting pop-ups, but on my IE browser, the "back" button is not returning to the list of threads with new posts, like it used to do until about a week ago.  Most times, it stays right were it is, and if I look at the history, there are a bunch of "continue" pages in that list.   Something is amiss.

Carlos.

As far as I know, nothing has changed with the forum software in the last few weeks.

As far as I know, nothing has changed with the forum software in the last few weeks.

If I had to guess, I'd say it has something to do with loading the gamercards that some members have in their signature.  sometimes it looks like they flash quickly when the page should go "back", then nothing.

Carlos.

Now I'm thinking it is related to an extension that go installed in Chrome.  I don't know how it got there.  But perhaps it was installed nefariously when my daughter visited a "free movies" website.  I only saw pop-ups on LCVG though, which is why I thought there was a connection.  But perhaps it was a coincidence.

Gawd...it's disturbing to think that these places' IT departments haven't woken up to the horror show that is IE, probably because of some archaic CTO who is sucking on the MS teat.  It's like a gateway for sadness into your internal network.

It's about licensing if you believe the official Story. IE is free, but CHROME requires a corporate wide license or per seat license model that the powers that be don't want to pay. We have a global standard image and no one except certain IT wonks like me have admin rights to install non-standard apps. Last year, we all got ordered to uninstall CHROME due to licensing. We can choose Firefox, but frankly, I prefer IE to it.

Carlos.

It's about licensing if you believe the official Story. IE is free, but CHROME requires a corporate wide license or per seat license model that the powers that be don't want to pay. We have a global standard image and no one except certain IT wonks like me have admin rights to install non-standard apps. Last year, we all got ordered to uninstall CHROME due to licensing. We can choose Firefox, but frankly, I prefer IE to it.

Hah.  I got curious and went to poke around the "Google Chrome for Business" portion of their site.  There is zero mention of any kind of licensing fee, and the special MSI package for IT managers is available right off of the front page of that section.  The entire Google Apps for Enterprise suite would be a different story, but that is a whole 'nuther ball of wax.  Anyway, I find all of this fascinating, sounds like Microsoft is still working their magic... they didn't get to be so big without greasing a few palms in the upper management of these very large companies.  Sucks for everybody else, especially the folks like you Carlos that have to deal with the mess.   Sorry, I guess I'm still bitter from the days when I was still writing web applications and IE was always the ABSOLUTE WORST to develop for. :)

Gawd...it's disturbing to think that these places' IT departments haven't woken up to the horror show that is IE, probably because of some archaic CTO who is sucking on the MS teat.  It's like a gateway for sadness into your internal network.

For us our problem is deeper, we have a ton of web apps from 2006-2008 time frame that only run in IE 8.  Our Oracle HR software was last updated in 2006, I finally got an update approved for this year.  Our Training software is from 2008 and everything works fine in other browsers except the part where it grades the quiz and updates the employee's profile that it was passed.  We have approval to replace it in 2015.  Our former IT management very much took a if it isn't broke do not fix it approach.  We still are only 50% done with our Windows 7 migration, hell I still have Windows 2000 Server running on production systems.  They went almost 12 years before they finally upgraded their finance application, and if it wasn't for the fact the client didn't run in Windows 7 and we were being forced to upgrade to Windows 7 they wouldn't have upgraded it.

Our clients still use IE7 and IE8.  My nightmare is dealing with shit that doesn't work in IE10, IE11, Firefox, and Safari.  IE9 and Chrome are two browsers that give me the least trouble.  This week I had to deal with a stupid Firefox bug where table cells with relative positioning don't act as a parent to absolute positioned children.  Every other browser behaves correctly, except Firefox.  And mozilla refuses to fix the bug.  Pain in my ass.

The real problem though is IE.  SInce Chrome and Firefox auto update, we only need to support the latest versions.  But with IE, we need to support 8,9,10, and 11.

Browser hell.