LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Rainmaykr

The Video Game Room...

Re: the Gamecube component cable, I've a feeling it shares one with the Wii, doesn't it? Which would make finding one easier.

It does not. At least not in the USA. If I remember correctly, the connector to the Gamecube is not standard and completely different from any thing I've seen on any system.

Update:

6M3A3885-Edit_zps256c8ef5.jpg

All of the white consoles and consoles with light colored areas (like the GameCube) have been Retr0brite'd, but I'm not sure the Dreamcast was ever THAT white.  They all look brand new.  All have been restored where needed, like soldering a rechargeable battery into the Dreamcast, or replacing the mounting/insulation plate between the Genesis and the SegaCD.

6M3A3892-Edit_zps69c686f9.jpg

I went with custom cases for all carts or anything for which I didn't keep the box.  For the NES stuff I have many of the boxes, but decided to put the actual carts into custom cases for easy access - That's why it looks like there are many doubles - it's orignal boxes and UGC's.  Except for the Dragon Warrior, that dude is still sealed.

I managed to hang onto quite a few vintage mags (TurboPlay, MegaPlay, Turbo Force, important EGMs, etc.) and they are in bags and boards at the bottom.  Looking back over those old issues, man, we've come so far, but despite that I can still feel a hint of the wonder I had thumbing through those pages back when I was a kid.  I even have a Sears Wish Book from 1991 in the collection and it's especially good fun to page through.

6M3A3886-Edit_zps46dea4eb.jpg

6M3A3887-Edit_zpscdf35387.jpg

6M3A3890-Edit_zps2181594c.jpg

One of my pride and joys - The Gamecube collection (and my lone Wii game, which cured me from getting any more):

6M3A3889-Edit_zps890fbae9.jpg

I can't find the box that has my Genesis/GameGear stuff.  This might be the only Genesis stuff that has survived the many moves.  That possibility saddens me.  RIP Phantasy Star II and all your copious amounts (6) of "Mega Memory."   :(  But I managed to find my Buster Douglas Boxing...  yay.

I still need to standardize the Dreamcast collection.

6M3A3891-Edit_zps37b43023.jpg

Power cords for the controllers shelves are all routed through the wall: 

6M3A3893-Edit-Edit_zpsce65416a.jpg

The kids have pretty much taken over this room.  But, the middle one has discovered Blazing Lazers and plays it all the time.  So I'm kinda parenting my ass off, imo.

• Like 2

Very nice-where did you get the custom cases/inserts for the NES games?  I've got a bunch of loose carts that'd be nice to box up. 

It'll be nice to be able to have all this kind of stuff "out" like that again.  My 6 year old is pretty good now, but the 2 year old?  Forget it...  He already likes taking things out of the boxes and stashing them somewhere, or turning whatever console someone is using off mid-game. 

All of the white consoles and consoles with light colored areas (like the GameCube) have been Retr0brite'd

Thank you! I didn't even know this existed. My Super Nintendo is discolored in the usual spots.

Wow, somehow this is my first time seeing this thread. Fantastic James!!! I love how clean your setup is as well! #doingitright

Thanks all!

Very nice-where did you get the custom cases/inserts for the NES games? I've got a bunch of loose carts that'd be nice to box up.

I bought Universal Game Cases, the kind they used to use at Blockbuster, a collected all the covers from www.thecoverproject.com. For any games that The Cover Project didn't have covers for (or didn't have covers in the style I needed) I busted out Photoshop and made one using the templates available on that site. But if Cover Project doesn't already have a cover then the game probably isn't well represented on the Googles (like Turn N Burn for the SNES), so you might have to get creative with what few assets are available.

The TurboGrafx-16 are actually in a case that isn't directly supported at The Cover Project. Those were made by my loving hand.

Awesome as always, though the custom Dreamcast boxes pain the collector part of my brain :)

I kept all the inserts, manuals, and clear OEM CD cases and, minus the CD cases, are all in the DVD cases for each game. I wanted to standardize the size on most things on the shelves for aesthetic purposes.

Thank you! I didn't even know this existed. My Super Nintendo is discolored in the usual spots.

Sure man. I used Salon Care Professional 40 Volume Creme, available at Sally Beauty Supply in small 4 oz. bottles, which was more than enough for this project. It's 40% hydrogen peroxide and ready to go, you don't need to add a thickening agent, and it's a crazy high amount of active ingredient that's not available at regular stores. I lined a plastic storage bin with aluminum foil, keeping the most reflective side facing inwards, and topped it off with a DJ UV light I found on Amazon for about $25. Remove the console's shell and coat it with a layer of hydrogen peroxide, not too much or it will "bleach" your plastic quicker than you're ready, but not too little or it will take several days to whiten the plastic, and you might have to do it again if the paste dries before it's done. A uniform amount is key. After about 24 hours or so in there it should be ready. My SNES took a little longer, but it worked great. Enjoy!  (The process isn't bleaching at all, it's a proper discoloring reversal)

In 1959, Richard Nixon met Nikita Khrushchev at the American National Exhibition in Moscow where a display was set up meant to inform Russians of some of the virtues of Western living. In the exhibit was a Cadillac sedan. Khrushchev pointed to the back of the car and asked what those were. Nixon told him they were tailfins. Then Khrushchev asked the most perfect question a Cold-War-era Russian could ask, "What do they do?"

Those extra speakers are just tailfins, Mr. Monkey. :)

• Like 2

In 1959, Richard Nixon met Nikita Khrushchev at the American National Exhibition in Moscow where a display was set up meant to inform Russians of some of the virtues of Western living. In the exhibit was a Cadillac sedan. Khrushchev pointed to the back of the car and asked what those were. Nixon told him they were tailfins. Then Khrushchev asked the most perfect question a Cold-War-era Russian could ask, "What do they do?"

Those extra speakers are just tailfins, Mr. Monkey. :)

Lol, well said