LCVG
MastaRedSnappa

Cutting the Cable Cord

As my discounted 12 month contract with AT&T U-verse is coming to an end in August, I'm thinking of just dropping cable altogether.  I've noticed that my family hardly watches any live TV anymore (they mostly watch Netflix or Blu-rays/DVDs).  I probably watch the most but I can watch the shows I like over the internet.  The only thing I'm really worried about is being able to watch Lakers games (no jokes about their games being unwatchable last season!) as the NBA League Pass has blackouts for local broadcasts (I live in LA).  I can probably get around that by using some kind of proxy/VPN to make League Pass think I'm in Texas or something.

Anyway, I just wanted to find out how many of you have already cut the cable/satellite cord and what your experiences have been so far.  Thanks!

Until people start cutting all the cords including internet , the movement is nonsense :P

I went with Netflix/Hulu/antenna for four years and was perfectly content until I moved to a house with no OTA reception.  Had to get ultra-basic Comcast so I could watch the Seahawks.  One relatively nice option they have now (and it's the only non-terrible thing I can say about Comcast) is Internet Plus.  It's internet and ultra-basic with an HD box and HBO for $82 total (about five bucks more than ultra-basic with no box or HBO).

Until people start cutting all the cords including internet , the movement is nonsense :P

Really?  Because turning off the TV portion of my cable reduced my cable bill by more than half.  I've only missed it during cable-only sporting events, which I managed to find a stream of elsewhere.

I just find the term "cutting the cord funny" . A lot of Folks use it like they are conquering heros.

I've never had cable so there's no cord to cut. And I've never been happier because I can wait for shows to get popular, find out about which ones are worth the time to get into, and not bother with the rest. It's like I'm taking advantage of time-delayed aggregate reviews. For example, I've owned Game of Thrones S1 on BluRay for 5 months and haven't watched it, but I know I'll like it. I'm in no particular rush, it's not going anywhere, when I do decide to start watching, it will be my first time through and at my own pace. Also, spoilers are almost impossible because I know nothing of the world, so nothing I hear connects to a story...it's like reading chinese :-)

I canceled my cable over a year ago, relying on Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon. Other then Yankee games, I can't say I missed it at all, it cut my bill in half and I was perfectly content.

But, a couple of months ago, I decided to upgrade my internet connection. They had a 12 month deal with the upgrade and basic cable that worked out to be the same price as just the upgrade, so I did agree to that. Once that is done though, I have every intention of doing away with cable again.

I find it hysterical that companies are still offering bundle deals packaging internet, cable and land line voice phone service.  Who is that for?

I find it hysterical that companies are still offering bundle deals packaging internet, cable and land line voice phone service.  Who is that for?

I's say old people, but I suspect the main reason is to give regulatory pals enough of a gloss to say "see, telecom aggregation allows companies to offer great deals like this."

I cut the cord probably over 2 years ago now.

-The only thing I really miss is live basketball, but I get most of what I want to see using the Apple TV ESPN app and my mother's Time Warner log-in. I miss TNT the most for NBA games.

-I torrent Game of Thrones. I could probably use HBO Go and someone's login for that as well.

-I catch an online stream for WWE Raw whenever I want to get a glimpse of what's going on there.

-Netflix and iTunes are used a lot. Amazon for a few things.

I can probably get around that by using some kind of proxy/VPN to make League Pass think I'm in Texas or something.

I've been thinking about trying this.

Glad to read the legendary tales of so many "conquering heros"! haha

For me, it would be strictly a financial consideration to cut my internet/cable bill in half.  I'm not becoming a luddite or anything.

I find it hysterical that companies are still offering bundle deals packaging internet, cable and land line voice phone service. Who is that for?

Well look who has a cell phone signal that doesn't suck at his house. Look who is fine with conducting important calls where lag and distortion doesn't cause frustration and miscommunication. Look who hates old people. Look whose so superior.

Where the hell am I going to plug in my god damn rotary phone damn it.

I was wondering the same thing too until my sister got married.  Her husband has an artificial pace maker or some such, and it needs to be monitored constantly.  So he has a device that hooks up via land line that sends information back to whatever medical service monitors this stuff.  So yep, I had an eleven year streak living without a landline.

So I finally cut the cable TV cord after my second 1-year deal with AT&T ended and my bill went up almost $70/month. The best deal they could offer me was still an increase of "only" $30/month.  I now just have internet through AT&T and went with Hulu Plus ($12/month with no ads) to watch most current TV shows. I'll probably end up buying a season pass to watch The Walking Dead. I was already subscribed to Netflix/Amazon so no change there. I bought a lifetime VPN for $29 for NBA League Pass.

I didn't realize how much anime was on Hulu so that was a nice surprise for me and my family. So far, it's been a good and money-saving experience overall.

We finally got rid of DirecTV for good.  They tried to double-talk my wife into a new contract, which I know they would quickly raise the rates as soon as were locked in, but she stood firm.  Between Sling and antenna, we're spending $20 a month instead of nearly $90 a month, and I get the same channels I usually watched anyway!  

I saw the old land line post, and wanted to say we still have a land line. Years ago when the North East had that big power outtage, the landline and our old phone still worked perfectly fine. When you have people in your house with health issues . Its better safe then sorry.

48 minutes ago, Jordan_E said:

We finally got rid of DirecTV for good.  They tried to double-talk my wife into a new contract, which I know they would quickly raise the rates as soon as were locked in, but she stood firm.  Between Sling and antenna, we're spending $20 a month instead of nearly $90 a month, and I get the same channels I usually watched anyway!  

Which Sling package did you go with?

49 minutes ago, kelley said:

Which Sling package did you go with?

Just the $20 version for now.  Might add to it down the road, but it pretty much covers the things that I watch on a regular basis.  ESPN, Travel Channel, AMC.  

We're contemplating cutting the cord too, still investigating options + pricing. Our suddenlink cable bill just keeps creeping up now our initial promo year is up. And my wife's finally on board with cutting the cost. It'll require some adjustment in lifestyle for sure.

Fundamentally depends on whether I can get internet service without a usage limit. 

We haven't had cable in four years and I don't miss it. Mind, we don't care too much about missing stuff until it hits Netflix or shelling out the occasional $20 to grab a season on iTunes.

My gf and I have greatly reduced our TV in general beyond a couple core shows and the only sport we care about is curling, so we are, to be fair, a non-traditional household.

Our modestly priced Internet gives us somewhere in the vicinity of 70+gb a month and the only time I've EVER even gotten a warning was when I put the external hard drive on the PS4 and redownloaded all my games...

I got rid of cable a couple of years ago, and it's been great.  Ported my landline to voip.ms, so what I was paying 40-50/month for now comes in at around 2-3 bucks a month (mostly for DID registration and 911 access).  Internet is 60/10 unlimited cable for 60 bucks a month through start.ca, which has been amazing.  Just checked, and I was at around 700 GB last month, but part of that was having replaced a HDD in my PC, and subsequently re-downloading most of my Steam library (just because). 

No cable here. We have a discreet antenna connected to an HD Homerun that streams broadcast TV all over the house. And it integrates directly with my HTPC's Kodi set up, so it's the same interface for whatever lives on my NAS.