LCVG
Camp

Beer: The kind someone else brews

Well Firestone Walker is officially on board to make Resilience IPA, I think they are the biggest name on the list other than Sierra. Not sure how they will distribute however. 

Resilience IPAs are starting to come out. It seems most breweries are only selling it from their taprooms, not distributing it...which makes sense, but means I likely won't be able to try as many as I'd have liked. My local favorite brewery Fieldwork, is releasing theirs tomorrow...so I'll likely grab some this weekend.

Welp, I'm going to Belgium (and Netherlands) this spring. Just secured lodging in Brussels and Bruges. I'll be in Brussels the weekend of the Toer de Gueze, where are group of Gueze Lambic breweries open their doors to the public and release special blends. The days before that, I plan to hit up a bunch of other breweries and pubs in Brussels, including Cantillon, of course, but also several that don't get exported to the US.

Then for the Bruges leg, I may rent a car to get to some of the Flanders breweries like Westvleteren and Verhaeghe.

While beer is a big draw, I'm also excited to visit these historic cities, including Amsterdam.

If anyone has tips for any of these cities, please share. I've not been to any of them.

• Like 3

I’ll offer a few tips for Bruges:

If you can, block out some time to sit along the canal at the Beer Wall with a pint. This is very touristy (the most photographed corner in Bruges) and it’s a busy pub but, it’s a hell of a view and the atmosphere there is just great. For me, having a drink there and just kicking up my feet for an hour at an outdoor table and just doing nothing was damn near perfect. As a bonus, there is a Frites shop across the canal from the Beer Wall that are the best I’ve had (original-style frites made with beef tallow).  

The Market, Belfry and Historium are all in the central square and its beautiful but, in my opinion they are not worth buying admission. Just have a wander through the square and take in the sights but, I wouldn’t buy admission to the Historium. The Belfry has a great view It may be worth doing once but, it’s a tight staircase going up and its tight up at the top, you’ll be there with lots of other tourists and you don’t get a lot of time to admire the view. There is a museum at the base of the Belfry but I wouldn’t recommend that either. On a positive note, there are often free exhibits at the base of the Belfry too behind the museum and those were good IMO. 

If you smoke or enjoy the occasional cigar or anything, grab them while in Belgium. The tobacco tax is lower there - I got a full box of Romeo & Julieta #3’s for €110 there for my son-in-law and his groomsmen back at my daughters wedding. 

Have fun man 😊

Thanks for those tips! I'm all about the views and the brews. I will be bringing my camera of course. Not a smoker. But I am considering shipping beer back, oof.

I'm not sure which city I'm more excited about. Brussels ostensibly is the least interesting city, but the beer scene there is amazing. And the Toer only happens every other year.

I stupidly skipped a night in Amsterdam, our last night there, when reserving the AirBNB. And the place wasn't available for the night I missed, so I looked around and found a boat, so the last night will be spent on the canal 🙂