LCVG
Camp

Beer: The kind someone else brews

Ooo! I need to find that one too. I'll visit their brewery sometime too. It's only about 4 hours from me.

For my money, Prairie is consistently making some of the best beers available. I've tried about 5 so far and they have all been excellent. Funky Gold Mosaic was a highlight of last year and now this is new favorite.

Prairie Artisan Ales has done it again, their sequel to last year's Fantastic dry-hopped sour, Funky Gold Mosaic, somehow tops the original. The new version is called Funky Gold Amarillo. This time they are using Amarillo hops instead of Mosaic hops. I don't really know the difference between these hop varieties, but the result is an incredibly well balanced blend of piny resinous hop essence  and astringent, citrus tang very reminiscent of grapefruit.

Grapefruit is a common description of Amarillo. Mosaic is a mix of grapefruit/citrus & the heavy pine from something like Chinook. HopUnion, one of the big commercial hop providers in the US, have a really good hop guide on their website - it breaks down regions of origin, common flavour characteristics, common beer profiles they're used in, and their typical physical stats like AA, oils, etc. It's really good.

The best way to learn the profiles of individual hops are SMaSH beers - Single Malt and Single Hop. Something a lot of homebrewers do to dial in their taste preferences, and something I've seen some commercial brewers do too as a place to focus on key ingredients & show the impact that just a different hop or grain type can have on a beer.

• Like 1

Ah very cool! I'll have to peruse that site.

Last year, while at a bar in Oakland called Trappist, they had a series of beers on tap that were differentiated only by the hop used. Otherwise they were the same. I had two of them. But, by the time I went back, they were gone. :-( it would have been a perfect education in how the hops flavor the beer, alas.

Speaking of gone, I just stopped back at my local store and all of the Funky Gold Amarillo is gone already (sob). I have one lone bottle left. May have to go hunting to see if I can find it elsewhere.

But I bought one of Prairie's Apple Brandy Noir beers, a sour from Almanac brewed with apricots and aged in wine barrels, and a "black sour" from Anchorage Brewing aged in Pinot barrels and then again in whiskey barrels!

Prairie Artisan Ales has done it again, their sequel to last year's Fantastic dry-hopped sour, Funky Gold Mosaic, somehow tops the original. The new version is called Funky Gold Amarillo. This time they are using Amarillo hops instead of Mosaic hops. I don't really know the difference between these hop varieties, but the result is an incredibly well balanced blend of piny resinous hop essence  and astringent, citrus tang very reminiscent of grapefruit.

beer_prairie-funky-amarillo.jpg

Check out the label too, an arcade setting with a person getting absorbed by a video game called "Cabbie" lol

This is seriously an amazing beer. 5 stars. For my palette, this is the future of hops. The combination of the bitter hop bite is perfectly matched by the puckering tang of brett.

Picked up 2 of the 4 bottles they had at Specs on Friday.  

This is delicious.  Thanks for the recommendation.  I may have to go get the other 2.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

I tried to find it at 3 places yesterday...no luck.

Also trying to find the new Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter.  Had to settle with more of their "Hoppy Lager" Beer Camp release.  Love the name.

beer_prairie-funky-amarillo.jpg

Check out the label too, an arcade setting with a person getting absorbed by a video game called "Cabbie" lol

This is seriously an amazing beer. 5 stars. For my palette, this is the future of hops. The combination of the bitter hop bite is perfectly matched by the puckering tang of brett.

Thanks for this, Ed.

I found it today at a place with only 2 bottles left...and I wish I would have purchased them both.  Instead a new double IPA caught my eye.  But I did get 1 bottle and agree, it's an amazing beer.  Now I need to find it on tap.

I'm glad you guys are finding and enjoying it! I've still got that one bottle in my fridge, teasing me! I went back to the store where I found it and it was still gone. The beer guy there said they get deliveries on Tues so I should check on wed.

I'd love to find it on tap. The bar I first had Funky Gold Mosaic at might have it, I should try there...

• Like 1

Nice!

I have one in the fridge.  That will be happening tonight.  I also found it on tap at a new bar...looks like I found my happy hour spot.

That's a good list. I've had about half of them. The only one I don't think belongs is the Anderson Valley Blood Orange Gose (have some at home right now). It is tangy, but it tastes more like orange soda than beer. I enjoy it, but it's more of a fruit beer than anything.

The comment on the Duchesses de Bourogne is funny as I've used that beer several times to introduce people to sours.

Almanac is the brewery my friend owns. They are on fire with the sours, but they all taste quite similar (I told my friend that, he's heard it from others). I'm going to be seeing them tonight at the SF Craft Beer fest. Likely with something new.

I'll have to look for some of those others. I'm very curious about Dogfish Head's version.

So some brief history. I went back to school at UK to get a degree in accounting. Still want to open a restaurant, but I don't feel like earning subpar wages being somebody's low wage bitch for the next five years. This past semester I got all A's (amazing considering I could not do this on my first college degree).

Anyway I am rewarding myself with this

1431461581926303208203.jpg

feel free to comment. That is from left to right Odin's Triple Ale, Prairie Artisan Ale Elisabeth, Reyka Vodka, New Belgium Ranger IPA, and 10 Year Laphroig.

• Like 1

That Prairie Eliza5beth has been slowly popping up in places around here.  I need to try it.

That Prairie Eliza5beth has been slowly popping up in places around here.  I need to try it.

I tried it last weekend, it's a very good saison style farmhouse ale. Light, crisp, hint of spice - overall, well defined flavors. That said, it doesn't stand out from the pack as much as many of their other beers.

• Like 1

My wife surprised me with a growler fill of Grapefruit Sculpin last night. Needless to say we have an empty growler this morning.

Awww. Sweet. I haven't tried that yet.

After work I made a beeline for WholeFoods because they were having a sale on beer. 20% all beer, or 30% if you bought 6 individual bottles. Here was my score:

beer_6sale.jpg

R to L: Alamanac Heirloom pumpkin sour (One of my faves. Glad to see it around still), Bruery Terreux Sour Rye ale, New Belgium La Folie (still the best American example of a Flanders Red I've had yet), Green Flash Silva Stout (bourbon-barrel aged for 18 months!), and lastly a special edition of Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot Ale, this one aged in whiskey barrels, 12% abv

• Like 1

Yep, never heard of it.  I tried it on tap at our local liquor stores while on the hunt for cask strength Maker's Mark (which is miles and miles above their flagship drivel).  I am not a expert at sours, but it was a clean, sour taste.  The other sours I've tried have been on the "drier" side (can't describe it any other way).

I find most American sours are indeed dry, and often exceedingly tart, following in the tradition of Lambics. Flanders Red sours from Belgium are sweeter, more like balsamic or red wine, and rich. Rodenbach Grand Cru is probably the easiest to find of the latter variety (BevMo has it). But Duchesse De Bourgonge is (to me) the best tasting of that variety (New Belgium's La Folie is kind of a hybrid of the two styles, and very good).

Have you tried the Wild Sour series from Destihl?  I've heard very good things and keep meaning to pick these up. Counter Clockwise and Here GOSE Nothin' are quite common right now.

I think I found my perfect summer beer:  Founder's Rubaeus

It's a raspberry beer that is sessionable (5.7% ABV) and goes down incredibly easy.  Unlike most fruit-infused beers this one doesn't taste like "beer ruined by fruit".  It's not a lambic or a sour at all either. Actually, its taste reminds me a bit of Gatorade or some other berry flavored sports punch.  It's amazingly good and would be a great beer by the pool this summer.

What other summer beers are you guys drinking?