LCVG
Angry the Clown

Anyone running mkv rips of their movie collections via Plex? (aka A Media Server Conundrum)

Thanks, Cam.

That’s what I did for my previous rips with The Simpsons, I ported over the commentaries as they’re wonderful. 

I noticed Simpsons on iTunes is now the upscaled cropped 16:9 versions and without commentaries. Right there is my issue with a download only future. The content you buy can be changed on a whim, often for the worst (originally Simpsons on iTunes was 4:3). Boo-urns.

What deinterlacing settings did you use? I don’t think I did that right a few years ago. What are your latest handbrake settings for transcoding in general?

18 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Right there is my issue with a download only future. The content you buy can be changed on a whim, often for the worst (originally Simpsons on iTunes was 4:3). Boo-urns.

I so agree. One of the most disappointing things I ran into when I was using iTunes store more was when I bought Drive and found out it was un-matted! It totally ruined the composition of many shots in that movie. IIRC, every other online version was matted properly, and the Blu-ray was fine of course, but iTunes had this weird version.

18 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

What deinterlacing settings did you use? I don’t think I did that right a few years ago. What are your latest handbrake settings for transcoding in general?

For deinterlacing, I use Decomb/Default/Default. The "LessSensitive" setting was the old default from a few years ago you could maybe try. 

With the Simpsons, keep in mind there is some artifacting that looks like interlacing that is somewhat "baked in" to the source. It's rare but it will show up on occasion. I dont think any deinterlace technique can filter it out. I was watching "Lisa Gets an F" the other day and it shows up there a couple of times, usually in the characters' mouth movements. 

For settings, I use CRF for everything now, which doesn't limit bitrate in anyway and pushes for that level of quality. Usually CRF 16 is great for SD material. On some older, grainy or noisy material, I will usually raise CRF or use one of the old bitrate limiting setting I used to use. Also set the preset to the highest level you can tolerate. I usually use Slower for everything.

Handbrakes "Super HQ 480p 30 Surround" is a good starting point as well.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

I so agree. One of the most disappointing things I ran into when I was using iTunes store more was when I bought Drive and found out it was un-matted! It totally ruined the composition of many shots in that movie. IIRC, every other online version was matted properly, and the Blu-ray was fine of course, but iTunes had this weird version.

Another good example is Disney’s Sword in the Stone. The Blu-ray has always been a DNR’d mess but for a while the iTunes version was a more detailed and authentic HD master.... until they “upgraded” it to match the Blu.

I know what issues you mean re: Simpsons. I think the dics had incorrect flags in some episodes. From the preview clips I sampled the iTunes upscales look rather nice save for the ludicrous cropping.

I have a 500gb ssd spare since dismantling my PC so could put it to use on TV rips if I buy an Apple TV. I’m starting to get a little pissed at certain films getting 4k/HDR on iTunes with no disc equivalent in sight (Heat being a biggie, but just last week iTunes getting a new 4k restoration of It’s a Wonderful Life may be the breaking point for me. The Blu releases have always come from tired old masters and no studio has had the balls to do classic b&w on UHD disc yet).

All this playing around with make mkv and handbrake again... it does tempt me back into the ripping realm, particularly now Apple TVs support 24fps. Just a shame I’d need about 50 terabyes of storage for 1:1 rips of my collection. 😆

I dropped a transcode of a simpsons ep into itunes but it doesn’t share with the AppleTV app on my iPad. Don’t know if that’s normal and an actual Apple TV treats custom content differently or what.

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

All this playing around with make mkv and handbrake again... it does tempt me back into the ripping realm, particularly now Apple TVs support 24fps. Just a shame I’d need about 50 terabyes of storage for 1:1 rips of my collection. 😆

Ha, understood! How many movies is that? I've encoded over 600 movies since this thread, and I kept track of everything on a spreadsheet along the way 🤓 , including original file sizes. It totals up to only 15 TB adding up all the main features at original file sizes.

So you're tracking the actual size of the full disc? Of the 600 movies I've tracked, the average file size of the main feature is 25GB. So you should be able to rip everything 1:1 with 'only' 25TB. Still a decent amount of space, but much more doable. 

From when I was doing 1:1 rips a few years ago I was actually finding the average in my collection to be about 30-35GB per movie file. If memory serves I got about 160-180 on a 6TB drive before I realised the whole plan was going to be way too expensive.  I was also archiving transcoded extras alongside a lot of that stuff, but those would not have amounted to more than 20GB I wouldn't have thought. It's an expensive project regardless of whether I did that all over again, or just ripped mkvs of the movie files and commentaries leaving the discs I want extras access too (chiefly Criterions) on the shelves. Even more expensive if I wanted redundancy to save me doing the whole damn lot again if there's ever a drive error.

Where are my 1000TB SSDs for £150? :) 

• Haha 1

Interesting that we'd see such a difference in totals. I will say, I am also transcoding extras, and even though I'm using different settings for them (Around 5,000kpbs for 1080p and most are 480p and much lower bitrate), they still take up a lot of space. Im not tracking it, but I could back into the number and figure it out.

But guaranteed, just checked the original filesize totals, for 609 movies, the average size is 25.1 GB.

8 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Even more expensive if I wanted redundancy to save me doing the whole damn lot again if there's ever a drive error.

You helped me with this by recommending SnapRaid. I've been using that ever since. I have 1 extra drive for parity and 4 data drives.

• Like 1

An update to my excel spreadsheet actually brings me to 738 Blu-rays and UHDs (I haven't catalogued the DVDs). That's titles mind you, where I have split box sets like Criterion's Bergman set down individually but box sets like the complete Battlestar Galactia series are one entry, so taking into account multi-disc sets for TV shows and a few films we can probably add another 40-50 more discs or so to that figure.  Certainly not slowing down buying more either.

• Like 1

Actually I made a mistake in excel. I currently have 804 titles across Blu-ray and UHD.

TV stuff doesn’t amount to much of that figure which is why I am open to the thought of transcoding or losslessly housing that kind of content on an HDD. Again I think I’d sooner transcode and add to iTunes so that my rips would live with iTunes content I might buy rather than have some content in iTunes, some in Plex, rest on disc...etc (still not finding a way for my iPad to recognise rips in iTunes though. Am I missing something or do Apple not let you stream personally added content on your network?) 

From what I am reading on ATV you have to use the computers app to access custom rips, so I guess since even Apple won’t house my purchases and rips in the one place I’d be better off with Plex or Infuse leaving no alternative but to have content spread between multiple apps. 😫 They just don’t make this practical.

I was about to post that, as far as I knew, on the Apple TV, all of your own media shows up under a different heading of "Computer" or something like that. This was with the older small black hockey puck Apple TV though, and I know the new ones are much more feature rich. I have no idea if you can stream to an iPad like that though.

iOS is supposed to work via the TV app but damned if I can get it to do find my test file. Irrelevant now anyway as if I have to use two apps and run Plex or Infuse on an ATV I might as well run those on my iPad as well. Hmpphhh. Damn shame Apple won’t allow those into the global search on ATV. I may use Plex as the server and Infuse as the player as Infuse seems to take whatever you throw at it natively.

Just out of interest I did some reading last night on where things stand with UHD rips. MakeMKV is compatible and you don’t actually need a UHD specific drive, just one of a dozen or so specififc BD drives that have BD XL compatibility and have appropriate firmwares. Very interesting. You do need individual hex codes to crack any specific disc however, but nerds seem to have that sorted too with a regulalry updated spreadsheet (in fact if no code is public for the title you want then MakeMKV will make you the code if you extract certain data from the disc and email itnto them).

Big downside to UHD ripping is Dolby Vision, not that the layer cannot be ripped, it can, it’s just that devices like the Apple TV will never be able to read that layer because Dolby Vision on disc follows a different encoding practice to Dolby Vision on downloads and streaming services (this fact has been confirmed by Infuse creators having previously approached Dolby about it). Since you’re not supposed to do the things we like doing with these boxes there’s nobreason why Apple...etc would ever support it. 

For what it’s worth I haven’t had any issues with UHD rips over the past year so, this isn’t a problem anymore - for new releases or older ones. I still have both Plex and Infuse but, I pretty much stick to Plex now since UHD MKV’s play fine on the current version. I haven’t had issues with HDR in general on my UHD rips but you’re right and Dolby Vision won’t work through Plex as far as I know. 

Yeah, I went down this road a bit and just accepted that HDR-10 would be the best you could get for now if I wanted UHD material on the server. 

I think the only issue with Plex and UHD right now is if the file is streamed to a non-HDR device and where transcoding is also required for some reason, it will not be tone mapped. But, if you direct stream it, it's fine. 

Yeah HDR to SDR conversion is quite the mess in its own way on many devices. Best avoided in my opinon. I’d sooner store a Blu-ray rip alongside the UHD for playback on non HDR devices.

Dolby Vision has been great for me with an OLED and I’m not sure if give it up, at least not with the age of TV I have that pre-dates more sophisticated HDR-10 based dynamic tone mapping that we’re seeing on recent models of TV. My Oppo’s HDR-10 to DV conversion is pretty great too on my E6. If I had a projector though I’d seriously consider this whole project again.

Still of two minds about getting an ATV again, even just for general use if I didn’t rip anything. I’ll continue to give it some thought. Stupidly I missed them for £40 off retail price over Black Friday.

Sounds like they’re playing catch up with Infuse, no? Infuse v6 is due early next year too so I’m curious to see what else they’d add on top of what 5 can already do.

Using Plex server as the archive with its superior metadata editing, but using Infuse as the player, does seem like a good marriage from lots of things I’ve seen, although you can’t house .iso or bdmv files in PMS (Infuse can actually play those).

Looks like I can still get an ATV4k for £149 at some places so I may grab one. Be nice to have Youtube HDR...etc which my LG doesn’t support (*edit* actually I forgot the ATV doesn’t either. 😫). Chance Netflix and Amazon quality could be better via the box too, though it is already pretty good on the LG.

What software is out there for upscaling SD mkv or mp4 content to 1080 or 4K output files? Anyone know what the options are? As far as I’m aware it is not something Handbrake has ever offered.

Generally upscaling is superior if done at a mastering level rather than letting playback hardware do it, but I’m not sure of any software for home computers that might do the job, and most importantly do it well. It was just something I’d like to experiment with as those iTunes Simpsons upscales are quite well done by the look of it, but the cropping is abhorrent. 😀