LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Koji Igarashi kickstarter for a new Igavania

I find myself really balking at the $28 asking price for basic download. I think $15-20 is the sweet spot for these and it might have done better with that range.

That said, it's over half funded, so clearly I don't know shit ;)

The main game is coming along but in the interim, they’ve announced an 8-bit prequel hitting on May 24th.

Heh, that Castlevania 3 homage. I must own it. Likely get it on the PS4 and the Switch.

• Like 1

That’s really cool looking. I love the vibe and some of those boss fights look particularly sweet.

The Curse of the Moon 8-bit game hits tomorrow.:) 

ill be buying it on both the Switch and PS4.

So I actually bought Curse of the Moon on the Switch but got sidetracked playing it. I hadn't realized that it was also now part of the Games with Gold list for the Xbox this month I downloaded it and proceeded to finish it off. 

It's lovely, really. It's a spiritual successor to Castlevania III; Dracula's Curse in every way. You get allies as you progress through the level that you can choose to take with your or you can kill them for skills that will come in handy for Zangetsu, the main character. The three allies include Alfred the alchemist, Miriam who uses a whip much like the Belmonts (and the protagonist of the main Bloodstained game) and Gebel who's basically Alucard who can turn into a bat. Character switching is near instantaneous (an improvement over Castlevania III) and part of the strategy is knowing when to use and when to switch back, etc. You can also try to beat the game as Zangetsu all skilled up but that's a tougher hill to climb!

Unlike Castlevania III, there is no path selection between levels but that doesn't mean you don't have the option to explore. The levels are designed to have areas you can only access by certain characters and those alternate paths provide upgrades like more health, more weapon points to use sub-weapons and even armor upgrades. Each character has their own sub-weapons as well which adds to the strategy. It's really well designed overall in just about every way. Arguments can be made that the game isn't as challenging as the original Castlevania games by default but I don't think many will find that to be a negative and if you want a challenge, more difficulty options are unlocked once you complete the game.

Visually the game is the perfect representation of 8-bit Castlevania. Which is an achievement because there are plenty of effects and sprite-work here that is well beyond the capabilities of an original NES. It feels authentic though and will certainly tickle the nostalgia bone of NES Castlevania fans. The music here is good but nowhere near as memorable as the tunes in the Castlevania games of yore. That's a tough hill for any game to climb, frankly considering the series has some of the greatest music ever present on the medium. Still, there's some good stuff to work with here in the future:

All in all, if you are even remotely a fan of the Castlevania games on the NES, this is required playing. If you're worried about the difficulty, there is a casual mode that gives you infinite lives and will remove the knock back that happens from taking damage. It's currently free on the Xbox if your a Gold Member but even at the current $10 price, it's well worth it!