LCVG
Romier S

Horizon Zero Dawn - PS4 Exclusive from Guerilla games - Delayed to February 28th, 2017

This may have been game of show for me. Not sure as I missed parts of the conferences. 

And thinking about how much Guerilla supported Killzone Shadow Fall after launch... I'm excited.

Definitely potential with this one. I didn't notice the 2016 tag when they ran it live, but I suppose late next year makes sense. It certainly looked very polished even at this stage.

We’re thrilled to introduce our brand-new third-person action RPG, Horizon Zero Dawn! Watch the trailer above to catch your first glimpse of the game!

Horizon Zero Dawn is set in a lush, beautiful open world where nature has reclaimed the ruins of a forgotten civilization. It is a world where mankind is not the dominant species, and highly advanced machines sit at the top of the food chain. You play as Aloy, a young outcast from a tribal society, who has learned to hunt the machines. Intent on unraveling the many mysteries that surround her, Aloy embarks on a quest that will lead her to discover her own destiny.

Along the way, Aloy will face off against an entire menagerie of machines – some traveling in herds, others roaming in solitude, all of them presenting a formidable danger. You will need to learn their behaviors, attack patterns and weak points in order to survive. You must use the beautiful environments to your advantage, and employ stealth, agility, and cunning to approach your prey unseen.

Of course, you won’t be hunting unarmed in Horizon Zero Dawn. Aloy is capable of combining natural materials with machine parts to turn them into ingenious weapons, ammunition, traps, and tools. By cleverly using the right items at the right moment, you can exploit weak points and bring down even the largest machines. Unfortunately, the most dangerous machines aren’t necessarily the biggest…

Vz4B1JHt.jpg

bStmZsBa.jpg

PggLZtu6.jpg

F9SCLA5S.jpg

More pics here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskeg4Rg1

Amazing how they've managed to hit the very limit of "stupendously pretty, yet believable as a PS4 game".

So Monster Hunter with robots?

Damn!!! Seriously impressive! Who's voice is that?? She sounds very familiar.

Sounded like Lena Headey.

I turned on the Sony presser while they were playing this, and thought, "Woah, what's this?" It looks seriously cool.

Speaking to VideoGamer.com earlier today, art director Jan-Bart van Beek revealed that there is "a lot of interplay between the different weapons and ammo types, and there is a sort of creative aspect there where you need to find the right way to use weapons for particular robos. And that counts for a lot of the game. We don't tutorialise the game, we don't go and tell you how to hunt these robos or how they interact. You really have to go out there and explore these things by trial and error.

"And it's the same case for learning about how the robos interact between themselves; who's protecting who and how they are all interconnected. You're always a little bit like David Attenborough where he's sitting in the bushes and studying these creatures trying to learn their behaviour, seeing how you can exploit that behaviour from them."

"There is a skill tree," he continued. "There are two basic character development systems. First of all you're getting XP and you can use that XP to gain new perks. So that's the big one. One of the perks that you saw being used [in the demo] is the Precision Shot where you slow down time and that allows you to [aim] the arrows a little more precisely. Without that it's actually really hard to hit certain weak spots. [The character in the demo] is already an advanced character about level 12, I think.

"But there's also basically a secondary way of upgrading your character, and that is through the harvesting and crafting system. By going into nature and defeating bigger and stronger robos you'll get better armour-plating, better weaponry and slowly but surely you'll develop your character in a more naturalistic way."

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/horizon_zero_dawn/news/horizon_zero_dawn_wont_be_tutorialised_rpg_systems_detailed.html

As a lefty liberal veggie type, I'm not comfortable playing hunting games, and made it about three colossi into SotC before I decided I didn't enjoy killing them. So Monster Hunter with robots is ideal for me.

Not as impressed with this one so far. Why is all the wildlife robotic?

It's almost like you have to play the game to find out...*Sherlock Holmes*

Seriously though, it was the first showing of the game. I'm more than open to finding out the answer to that question in the next year or so before release.

There better be a good explanation for it. It shouldn't bug me, but it really, really does. It seems like such a stupid concept. Pre-production idea pitch: 'Hey, wouldn't it be badass for a badass warrior chick to be taking down badass animals with badass weapons? But, the animals are ROBOTS...robot DINOSAURS, man...totally badass.' 

There better be a good explanation for it. It shouldn't bug me, but it really, really does. It seems like such a stupid concept. Pre-production idea pitch: 'Hey, wouldn't it be badass for a badass warrior chick to be taking down badass animals with badass weapons? But, the animals are ROBOTS...robot DINOSAURS, man...totally badass.'

I totally have the same reaction. However, what we've seen all seems so early in terms of development. Aside from looking stunning, there is little substance or context to form any accurate early opinions. There certainly are plenty of questions to be answered, and plenty of time yet to get those answers.