LCVG
Romier S

Horizon Zero Dawn - PS4 Exclusive from Guerilla games - Delayed to February 28th, 2017

Patch 1.32 adds a Story mode difficulty for those that just want to take in the sights and enjoy the narrative. (i.e. easy mode)

On 8/23/2017 at 10:16 AM, kelley said:

So i can finally play this one! Thanks Sony.

I mean, its not exactly a hard game on the standard difficulty.;)

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

I mean, its not exactly a hard game on the standard difficulty.;)

Yes, but you also play every game on super mega ultra crushing difficulty anyway, so your perspective is probably a bit skewed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JFo said:

Yes, but you also play every game on super mega ultra crushing difficulty anyway, so your perspective is probably a bit skewed.

True! However, I've played enough of them in my lifetime to know which ones are the real ball busters and which ones aren't. I can appreciate some folks struggling with some of the later battles in this one against the bigger dinobots but for the most part, standard is a relatively breezy experience. It's good that the new option exists but I wouldn't think difficulty would be a big factor swaying folks away from the game is all.

Though your statement does open up another conversation pertaining to most games "standard" or "normal" difficulty these days might as well be called  easy. Which is why I play on super mega ultra crushing.;)

22 hours ago, Romier S said:

I can appreciate some folks struggling with some of the later battles in this one against the bigger dinobots but for the most part, standard is a relatively breezy experience.

Not for me. I've been playing on Normal difficulty and have died quite often. If it were "breezy" I would probably be sailing through this game with only a handful of deaths for the +30 hours I've put into it. The enemies are tough and aggressive, and if you get spotted by multiple machines and they swarm you, it can be very difficult for a new player to get out of the situation alive. More than once, I've survived some of the tougher battles by the skin of my teeth, and that's only after they handed me my lunch a few times before that.

22 hours ago, Romier S said:

Though your statement does open up another conversation pertaining to most games "standard" or "normal" difficulty these days might as well be called  easy. Which is why I play on super mega ultra crushing.;)

That's the thing about difficulty settings though—it's all relative to the player. What might be challenging to one person, will be a be a cinch to another. If you prefer playing all your games on Super Hard, then of course most games' Normal settings will feel easy in comparison. Same goes for me if I drop the difficulty setting in the games I play down to Easy. The only difference for me is that I'd be dropping it down to what it's actually called.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angel P said:

I also died a few times on normal. 

Well, I mean sure but that's sort of my point. You should die a bit more regularly than "a few times" on the standard dofficulty of any game out there, IMO. I'm willing to bet a bulk of those deaths were on side content like some of the harder and optional hunting grounds missions or cauldrons, too. 

Im not saying a game has to be back breaking on normal of course but it should present some level of challenge to the player. I'm always a fan of choice and I applaud the easy mode being added here but I'm sticking to my guns and my orIginal point that the standard difficulty in Horizon is hardly a barrier or frustrating enough affair to skip out on the experience. I don't buy the argument that it is regardless of how skewed my perception may appear in going for higher difficulties in games, etc.

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

I'm sticking to my guns and my orIginal point that the standard difficulty in Horizon is hardly a barrier or frustrating enough affair to skip out on the experience. 

I definitely agree with this point. I generally hate stealthy games because I suck at them but I never wouldn't played TLoU if I were concerned with the difficulty. 

But i do think your opinion is skewed. 😜

14 minutes ago, Angel P said:

I definitely agree with this point. I generally hate stealthy games because I suck at them but I never wouldn't played TLoU if I were concerned with the difficulty. 

But i do think your opinion is skewed. 😜

Perfect example. For me it's not so much how difficult or "hard" a game is, it's more about how much of its bullshit I'm willing to put up with.

Take The Last of Us as you bring up. I was playing that game on normal, having a good time getting into the story and all that. Then there was some subway scene that was stupidly annoying on the stealth side of things. After several days of trying in between other stuff I had to do, I simply said, "fuck this game" and I moved on. Still haven't finished it. Could I get past that part if I spent some time strategising and maybe even watching a couple videos? Absolutely. But my relationship with the game changed and I haven't felt the pangs of longing to get back into that drippy, annoying subway with NPC companions who won't STFU.

Interesting considering TLOU has an easy mode (there since launch, too) that makes that section completely doable without using an ounce of stealth. Or a combination of shanks and guns, etc. He'll, you could probably do the same on normal since the games AI doesn't really ramp up in terms of actually needing stealth until your on Hard or above when supplies are limited.

That games "bullshit" is actually what I enjoyed about it's toughest difficulty. Almost no supplies and a need to really understand the AI's travel routes and it's reactions to sound, etc. One man's garbage....

The first thought that crossed my mind was the video (may be Uncharted 4?) about difficulty and how it relates to people with physical handicaps.  Sometimes it's not about skill level.  If more people get to enjoy the the whole experience of this game, I'm all for it.  Otherwise, I played on Very Hard for this game, and it's not that bad at all.  Just keep in mind I am the kind of gamer that misses at point blank range with a double-barrelled shotgun.

On 8/26/2017 at 3:20 PM, Romier S said:

Interesting considering TLOU has an easy mode (there since launch, too) that makes that section completely doable without using an ounce of stealth. Or a combination of shanks and guns, etc. He'll, you could probably do the same on normal since the games AI doesn't really ramp up in terms of actually needing stealth until your on Hard or above when supplies are limited.

That games "bullshit" is actually what I enjoyed about it's toughest difficulty. Almost no supplies and a need to really understand the AI's travel routes and it's reactions to sound, etc. One man's garbage....

Yeah, to be fair my reaction was probably overcharged, but that's just how I left it. I've never played a game in easy mode - there's a pride element to that and I refuse to do it. That's my own issue, though, and I should get over it. I kind of like the idea of playing through games for the stories without having to deal with the "you earned it" boss fights that at this point have become a bit redundant. And, yes, I could certainly finish that level if I chose to lay into it, but for some reason I made the decision to leave it behind like a bad relationship.

I did like the game, though, don't get me wrong.

Sorry for skewing this in other directions - I just found the above comments interesting. This game was a perception-changer for me in that regard.

It also makes me wonder if what we often laud as "great writing" in games is still mediocre. Was the story in TLoU really that memorable? I'm not asking to be antagonistic.

7 minutes ago, Josh said:

It also makes me wonder if what we often laud as "great writing" in games is still mediocre. Was the story in TLoU really that memorable? I'm not asking to be antagonistic.

It's not great writing, but I wouldn't call it mediocre.  If anything, it made choices and steps in a better direction.  Video games are still in its infancy as a medium, but I only see it getting better.  The thing about Horizon and TLoU is not that they do any one thing better than other games.  Rather, they do many elements so well together.

38 minutes ago, Josh said:

Yeah, to be fair my reaction was probably overcharged, but that's just how I left it. I've never played a game in easy mode - there's a pride element to that and I refuse to do it. That's my own issue, though, and I should get over it. I kind of like the idea of playing through games for the stories without having to deal with the "you earned it" boss fights that at this point have become a bit redundant. And, yes, I could certainly finish that level if I chose to lay into it, but for some reason I made the decision to leave it behind like a bad relationship.

I did like the game, though, don't get me wrong.

Sorry for skewing this in other directions - I just found the above comments interesting. This game was a perception-changer for me in that regard.

I've beaten the game 9 times at varying difficulty levels. It's not the game play that keeps me coming back so while I can't answer for the gaming populatin as a whole - yes. For me, it's one of the most memorable in the medium and it's uniquely memorable because of the medium it's presented in. We need to stop addressing games as though they need to measure up to the narrative standard bearer of film. TLOU presented characters I cared about and directly controlled for 20 hours and it did it honestly and with naked emotion that never tries to manipulate. To this day, I still struggle with Henry and his fate. It's still a gut shot in the middle of the game and it's because of the writing and character interactions directly under the players control that that works. *I* spent time fighting through hell with him and keeping him alive, etc. It's great writing and it's successful characterization because you could look to sum up TLOU as another zombie game with characters searching for a cure. You could sum it up as another stealth game. You could sum it up as another post-apocalyptic world. I see it as the story of a man who loses everything including his humanity who learns how to live again. In that process he will do everything possible to hold onto that last shred. Even unprovoked murder and the betrayal of the very person he loves and sees that future in. It's greater than the sum of its parts and it's the fact that you are actively driving the narrative forward that.

Its not great writing "for a game". It's great writing period in my opinion and it's one of the few games I've played in the last 10 years that I can remember every last moment of. It's special to me much like Silent Hill 2 which as an example lacks truly great fundamental writing ( in terms of dialogue and lack of quality voice work which hurts it even more) but by its finale, you know you experienced something on a different level because you actively participated in the experience and are allowed to unlock a very tragic story by the time the credits appear.

I agree on TLOU story - it really stuck with me and for me personally, I thought it was better story-wise than Walkind Dead or others films, games or TV shows set in similar "universes". I've replayed it a couple times now (not Romier levels) and it still feels perfect IMO; the story being the driving force for the gameplay.

5 hours ago, Josh said:

From a general narrative and character stand point I'd say so. What's interesting is where as, when TLoU first came out, it made me think that degree of effort into the narrative should be a rule of gaming, I've come to realise I was of course utterly stupid and wrong, and that it really should be the exception (TLoU is partly so special to me because it is something of an exception). 

I have some follow up on our conversation concerning the game's difficulty. I've decided to jump back into the main story after spending well over a week dinking around with all the other stuff there is to do in the game. This includes the following :

• Completeing many (but not all) side quests
  • Completing the four couldrons
  • Overriding every tallneck
  • Clearing every bandit camp
  • Clearing all the corrupted zones
  • Doing all the weapons tutorials
  • Finding most of the collectables (metal flowers, Banuk figures, etc.)
  • Buying and upgrading all of the best weapons and outfits (sans the hunting lodge ones)
  • Killing all machines big and small whenever I come across them

The end result is that I've leveled up Aloy to level 47. Last night I completed the story mission "The Grave Hoard" which suggests you tackle it at level 18. As you can imagine, this wasn't exactly too difficult with a character that powerful. I came across a room full of cultists, and after taking a few of them out stealthily, they spotted me and started attacking. I few shots from my Shadow Blast Sling made short work of them. Even the Deathbringer I fought at the end of the mission didn't 

So yes, if you are have a super leveled up character and you tackle quests that are nearly 20 levels below where you're at, the game can be pretty easy. But I would probably expect the same out of any game to be honest. It will be interesting to see how hard the last few missions are, given the recommended level for those appears to be only 34.

I finished this one off a couple nights ago. What a great game! I put well over 60 hours into it, which was a lot more than I expected to. I don't normally get caught up in side quests on these types of games, but I found myself happily doing most of them here. As a result, I had a pretty powered up Ally for the game's finale: level 50 character, all the best weapons, and the Shield Weave Armor from the ancient armory. Were it not for the countdown that started during the final boss battle, I don’t think the end would have been to stressful.

Im looking forward to playing the DLC that comes out in a couple months. Is it a totally separate game like Left Behind was to The Last of Us or is it built into the main quest where I can use the character I’ve built up in the main game?

Somehow I never finished this and dove back in this weekend. Forgot how much I love this game.

Quick question: Do I grab the DLC now or wait until I finish the main storyline or does it matter? For reference I only recently got to Meridian and am working through some of the sidequests there.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Josh said:

Somehow I never finished this and dove back in this weekend. Forgot how much I love this game.

Quick question: Do I grab the DLC now or wait until I finish the main storyline or does it matter? For reference I only recently got to Meridian and am working through some of the sidequests there.

Grab it now. It’s integrated into the story and will be worthwhile as you play through.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Josh said:

It really doesn’t matter. One thing to keep in mind is that “The Frozen Wilds” is a lot more difficult than the main game. The new machines they added in the expansion are really tough, and you want to level up Aloy as much as possible. I would definitely save it until near the end of the main storyline.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JFo said:

It really doesn’t matter. One thing to keep in mind is that “The Frozen Wilds” is a lot more difficult than the main game. The new machines they added in the expansion are really tough, and you want to level up Aloy as much as possible. I would definitely save it until near the end of the main storyline.

Very true words!! I thought I was pretty badass after beating the main game on the hardest difficulty. That very first machine you face in the DLC, handed me my ass on a platter.