LCVG
Romier S

Horizon Zero Dawn - PS4 Exclusive from Guerilla games - Delayed to February 28th, 2017

How the PS4 Pro will enhance Horizon Zero Dawn:

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/11/01/how-ps4-pro-will-enhance-horizon-zero-dawn/?emcid=social_20161101_67431826&adbid=793452904854065152&adbpl=tw&adbpr=36969785

For 1080p set owners:

For starters, for players who still possess standard 1080p HDTVs, we’re able to offer far better image quality. We’ve got a number of techniques at our disposal. The most logical one is supersampling. This is a very high-quality anti-aliasing technique, which basically means we internally render at a higher resolution (close to 4K) before shrinking it down to the final 1080p resolution.

As our internal calculations are done at a resolution much higher than 1080p, more detail survives before we shrink it down to 1080p, resulting in smoother edges – virtually no jaggies – and a more stable image.

We’re also looking at enhancing the quality of our shadow maps and increasing the quality of our anisotropic filtering. This is a technique which increases the quality of texture sampling, resulting in more detailed environment textures. We still have to tweak these elements of the 1080p output quality for the final game, but we have quite a bit of power yet to play with.

The internal resolution being used here is 1800p if memory serves from Cerny's presentation. Then downsampled to a 1080p output. Honestly, the image quality for 1080p owners should be stunning!

For 4K owners:

In addition, Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4 Pro will fully support users with 4KTVs, outputting at a much higher resolution. We’re rendering 2160p checkerboard, which is a special technique that looks incredibly good on a 4K TV. You’re going to notice a ton of subtle details, from stitching on Aloy’s outfit, individual leafs and branches swaying in the wind, kilometers away in the distance and more detail in all machines and NPCs in the world.

...and obviously HDR:

We normally have to do a lot of work in the engine to take an internal high dynamic range image and then make it suitable to be displayed on a normal TV. A lot of colour fidelity gets lost in the process. If you own an HDR-enabled TV, we don’t have to lose that data and you’re looking at the image in its full glory, with brighter and deeper colours, more contrast and vibrancy, in its pristine state. The benefits are truly awesome.

Unboxing of the Collectors Edition:

The statue is actually really really damned nice. Solid face sculpt from Gentle Giant.

Some of those reviews:

Giant Bomb - http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/horizon-zero-dawn-review/1900-759/?clickid=TyATHbQms0skUJyXSrVmqzLgUkhz2KTPZVeaTQ0&ttag=27795&vndid=27795&sharedid=&ftag=ACQ-09-10aag0a&irgwc=1&clickid=w3BUInUYyS%3Aj0LAWWMQzzRHOUkhzwHUCk1COQM0&ttag=27795&vndid=27795&sharedid=&ftag=ACQ-09-10aag0a&irgwc=1

5 out 5

Horizon: Zero Dawn is familiar but also really refreshing. It's not a short game (I spent around 30 hours with it), but the storytelling still feels concise and efficient. The combat has some nice options that make encounters fun, even when you're just stacking up stealth kills from the relative safety of a bush. And the presentation end of the game holds up its end of things with a solid soundtrack, great voice acting, and a cohesive design that makes all its disparate parts fit together. All in all, it's a great game, it's Guerrilla's strongest release to date.

Polygon - http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/20/14576092/horizon-zero-dawn-review-ps4-playstation-4-sony-guerrilla-games

9.5/10

Horizon Zero Dawn thrums with the energy of a creative team finally allowed to explore something new. It builds on elements of open-world and loot-and-craft gameplay that we've seen before, but it does so within a context, a setting and a style that feel fresh. Horizon Zero Dawn discovers a stronger sense of its own personality in one game than Killzone ever managed across half a dozen. Guerrilla Games has long been developing some of the most buzzed-about games in the industry; with Horizon, it feels like it has finally found its own voice, one worthy of all that buzz.

Jimquisition - http://www.thejimquisition.com/horizon-zero-dawn-review/

9.5/10

Horizon: Zero Dawn is just brilliant. I speak as a critic who has played more "open sandbox" games than any one human should and has grown so very weary of them. I should have gotten sick of this thing in an hour, but I've been glued to it for days and days and I don't want it to end. I love existing in this world - a world of desperate survival but of growing culture and a sense of hope. A world of giant metal animals that promise some breathtaking fights.

Gamespot - http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/horizon-zero-dawn-review/1900-6416620/

9/10

Guerilla Games has delivered one of the best open-world games of this generation.

Do I dare buy the digital version?  Is PSN still craptastic on day one for game downloads?

Edit: I elected for physical from Amazon, since I got a discount plus I had a gift card balance, so it only cost $40 shipped.

It's too bad this is coming out so soon before Breath of the Wild. I don't think I can handle two giant open world games at the same time. I'll definitely pick this up at a later date once I'm done with Zelda.