LCVG
Romier S

Playstation VR (the artist formally known as Morpheus)

43 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Dirt Rally VR bundle is on sale for $14 until the 22nd. 

If you are into Rally games, this is amazing in VR.

• Like 1

Finally tried Skyrim VR over the weekend.

In short... do not like.

The teleport controls are awful - will have to try the free movement and see if that's any better, but this really put me off. Control in general feels clunky and menus are awful. Even searching a corpse is a chore.

I'll give it another try, but wow.

That’s too bad. This is one of the best VR experiences I’ve had - It’s obviously different on PC and using Oculus but, i would have figured the PSVR version would be just as great. For what it’s worth, I use free movement controls and dialed the focus effect back for turning/running and it worked great for me; much better than the teleport movement. I don’t think you can mod the PS4 version(?) so not much you can do on inventory that I know of... maybe a quick key for loot all on corpses though?

Yeah there are ways around it. I'll give it another shot next weekend, but my first impression wasn't terribly positive.

Are most games playable without the Move controllers? Ive already got the PS4 Camera so really would just need the headset unless the controllers are necessary for most games

Now that my back has healed more, I can get back into "driving position" with the wheel. Driving was the last gaming activity I could return to because of the body position, so I've altered my seating to be more ergonomic.

I only got to play Dirt Rally a few times before my back went bananas in April (almost certainly exacerbated by my attempts to drive), so I'm only now getting deep into the game and have raced two levels of career championships, both in the 1960s Lancia Fulvia. I'm now about to start a new level "professional", but I bought the Group B Lancia Delta S4 which is wildly more powerful, and crazy fun to drive.

I just can't express how impressive this game is in VR (I know i'm repeating myself, I can't help it!)...it's literally a whole new dimension in rally racing. Between the well-implemented FFB, and the wonderful physics of the cars and surfaces (with some quibbles in the last dept), VR lets you intuit aspects of each bump, turn and jump in a far more immediate way. Perhaps counterintuitively, it takes away some of the sheer anxiety of racing at the edge of control because you don't have to think as much. You let your natural stereo depth-perception read the roadway, whereas in 2D it's always a bit of a guess, interpreting parallax and shading, which I find more taxing (although I never realized just how much interpreting I had to do before). Not that this game is easy, even in VR, but it is fair and rock-solid consistent.

Also, the VR sound is excellent, the cars sound unique and there is a nice spatial reverb that puts you even more into the drivers seat (note I never played this game with headphones before, so I can't say whether the sound is different in VR). While the engine sounds dominate (and sound great), the mix is good so you can hear the co-driver, the car vibrate and creak around you, the wind buffeting at high speeds, and the tire sounds. This game does show it's age just a bit in the tire sounds, as they sound somewhat artificial and there isn't a ton of variety. Still, they do convey information about grip very effectively, which is their essential role.

And what a treat it is to have the interior of the car, so faithfully recreated, all around you to take in. I LOVE looking down at the actual tach and speedometer instead of on-screen graphics. I also love that the gear shift moves to reflect which gear you're in (although I use paddles to shift, it's a little thrill to look down and see the shifter moving), and the pedals depress when you push (not that I ever notice while driving). Not to mention the co-driver sitting next to you. He could perhaps be more animated, as it is he stares at the clipboard, but it's still cool to sense him sitting next to you.

One of the few downsides of playing in VR is needing to set your view in the car frequently, almost at the start of each stage...luckily it's easy enough to do with the options button (which I can reach without looking at the wheel, which is critical since I can't see it with the headset on). I usually just lean back a lot and set it, so that my view is near the roof of the car, with a decent view of the wheel itself. Another issue in VR is the virtual hands they render in-game. I had to turn them off because they do not match the movements you are making with the FFB wheel, so there is this very odd disconnection with the VR world...enough that it's very distracting. The fix for this is to turn off the hands altogether, at least this way the 'ghost wheel' in the car moves along with your movements, restoring that connection to the VR wheel, even if you have no hands.

Surprisingly the lower-res graphics don't really detract much from the experience. The only time I can point to the graphics as a problem is on some stages, particularly Sweden with harsh sunlight casting hard shadows of trees, it can be a little hard to read far-off road conditions...because they have been muddled by high-contrast aliasing. This issue is fleeting, but it's real. 

I now consider this game to be the definitive rally video game, which is strange because it's successor, Dirt 4, is improved in a number of ways and is evolved in a new direction with the procedural stages. It's somewhat improved graphically over Dirt Rally, and they really refined the dry tarmac physics in Dirt 4. But frustratingly, Codemasters has not released  a VR version of Dirt 4 on any platform. I understand this must be a financial decision, but it's really a shame.

• Like 3

I did buy the Dirt Rally while it was on sale, but just got to try it our this past weekend.  While I only had time to try out a couple of races, things were becoming natural the more that I played. I think with more time and a better idea of what the co-driver was saying I would have had an even easier time.  There was just a lot to focus on.

I also finally got my copy of RE7 back from my buddy so this was the first time I had to try it in VR.  It was a bit much and I did get some motion sickness.  That said I don't use the VR as much as I'd like to, so I know I am not as used to it as others.  I was also surprised at exactly how low-res it looked.  I'm playing on a Pro and it is so crisp and clean normally.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

I did buy the Dirt Rally while it was on sale, but just got to try it our this past weekend.  While I only had time to try out a couple of races, things were becoming natural the more that I played. I think with more time and a better idea of what the co-driver was saying I would have had an even easier time.  There was just a lot to focus on.

Yes, I should say that I played DR a lot on my PC in Early Access, so I have a history with the game already. It definitely takes some time to get to a comfortable place with the physics. It’s kinda brutal. Haha

So, To the Top is one of my favorite VR games so far. I feel like I play most of my VR games "on occasion" as opposed to a more regular intervals, if that makes sense. To the Top has me wanting to get back to it more like I would a standard game. I've lowered the comfort settings a bit and don't feel like I'm getting any motion sickness at all. Hopefully this is also helping me strengthen my VR legs. 

Each stage has 3 different times to beat, and each one gives you a medal. Then, there's a medal for getting all the collectible orbs on a stage which allows you to jump around and explore each stage without racing through it. Then there's one super hidden orb that's off the beaten path that's more challenging to get to. After that, you've 100%'d the stage. 

Each stage has different mechanics and features that really set them apart. Some have moving walls that thrust you forward when you grab them, some have slides, etc. There's also multiplayer and I haven't even tried that yet. If anyone here gets this game, please let me know!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, RudyN said:

Are most games playable without the Move controllers? Ive already got the PS4 Camera so really would just need the headset unless the controllers are necessary for most games

I was wondering how needed they are too. I might look at getting PSVR during the upcoming sale. Depending on prices I might have to get the Doom Bundle first and then Move Controllers later. 

I would assume most games don’t require them, but some are probably best with them. I also wonder if they might come out with new controllers soon, since they seems to be a bit of a weak point. 

23 hours ago, RudyN said:

I can't say definitively, but my impression is that most games (by that I mean more than 50%) don't use the Move controllers. For some games, they are optional. I think you can have plenty of fun without them (Rez, any racing game), but there are a few really fun games that require them (Until Dawn: Rush of Blood).

1 hour ago, rustyjaw said:

I can't say definitively, but my impression is that most games (by that I mean more than 50%) don't use the Move controllers. For some games, they are optional. I think you can have plenty of fun without them (Rez, any racing game), but there are a few really fun games that require them (Until Dawn: Rush of Blood).

You can play Until Dawn with the DS I believe.

I bought the Skyrim bundle this morning on the sale. Won’t be able to set it up until tonight. I guess I’ll go through this thread to see what games I might pick up. 

• Like 1

Got things set up last night and played a number of different things for a few hours. I really like the experience! The only other VR I’ve ever done was that Game of Thrones demo on the original Oculus beta headset. 

Hardware wise, it’s comfortable, and the tracking of the headset worked perfectly for me. I had some troubles with the tracking of the DS4, but once I made a concerted effort to keep it visible, and the light facing the camera, it was better. 

I could’t try out the Move controllers since the batteries were dead out of the box. 

The image is a bit more noticeably low res then I was expecting, but nothing I can’t live with. I do get a bit of double vision around the edges, and I can see the edges of the screen or lenses, but neither of those are nearly as noticeable in an actual game. 

As for games, I tried the demos for Statik, Moss, Eve Valkyrie, The Persistence, and Tiny Trax.

I liked everything I tried for the most part but I especially liked Moss. Something about being plopped into an environment and things happening around me, instead of too me that I really like. 

• Like 1

That looks quite cool. Looks like it could be quite the workout. It’s available on PC in early access.

• Like 1

I have Beat Saber for WMD and truly love it.  It's a great game and it's definitely quite involved physically.  I guess I'll be picking this up for PS VR also. :)

• Like 2