LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Planet Coaster announced for PC

From the guys behind Elite Dangerous. It looks lovely and a wonderful addition for fans of theme park creator games and Rollercoaster Tycoon fans.

Yes! Been waiting for a reveal of this one since I first heard about it a few months ago. Eager to see some in game shots/footage. It is theme park sim fans only hope after the continual RCT4 disaster. Really cute trailer. I knew there was another reason I built my PC recently. :)

Purchase via Frontier for "early bird" BETA Access. This comes at a premium of £49, with the game alone up for order for £19.99. For an additional £25 over the regular price you can have a 'Coaster Head Club' membership giving you access to private forums and early previews into development. Bit cheeky to charge for that, BUT you do get a t-shirt and festival wrist band so you're effectively paying for the swag. For £40 you can create a group of 2-6 people, who you will be able to design, that will live within the final build of the game worldwide. For £100 you can have  a 'VIP Staff Pass' with your own customer character existing as a staff member in the finished game. Finally, for £400(!) you can have your name permanently etched in virtual stone on one of 100 virtual 'foundation' stones that will be outside of every singe park.

https://www.frontierstore.net

If they add Steam Workshop support for this, then....  :banderas:

It's a bit cheeky, but loads of people threw money at them for this stuff with Elite Dangerous, so I can see why they'd open it up like that. 

I doubt it will be Steam Workshop; they've got their own authentication and network infrastructure already built for Elite (did you see that was £10 off in the Steam sale, by the way?)

So long as there is some custom support that'd be fine. I'm wondering they will use a variant of their XB1 Zoo Tycoon engine for this (although personally I'd love a theme park sim that was set out like Cities: Skylines).

Didn't catch Elite in the sale. So strapped for cash at the moment that even bargains are having to pass me by.

This appears to be a brief in game snippet (found running in the background on the official website):

The guest animation is really charming the way the riders on the coaster are waving at you, but also look at the kids playing with the Dinosaur in the background too (and the one with the balloon who gets spooked and runs).

Now that we have this clip, the trailer itself would appear to be in engine in places, albeit somewhat polished.

Also, curved paths!

http://planetcoaster.com

Developer Diary #2 (buildings and terraforming) 

I tended to spend most time in RCT games theming my park, so these sophisticated tools are very exciting to me. This looks like an absolutely GLORIOUS system.  

Live stream was great. Some lovely new pre-alpha footage plus a lot of new concept art showing just how modular all the theming is. Frontier are clearly putting a whole lot of thought and love into this.

Lovely custom building work from a GAF member on the Alpha:

planetcoaster2016-03-qwpze.png

The Alpha is public so Frontier are actively encouraging people to share images, videos, twitch feeds...etc.

A coaster video from the planet Coaster forum:

https://youtu.be/naMU1Hl8lqo

I love watching the people in line going into the building, just the little animations of them looking around...etc. So great.

Excellent multi-part "lets play" video:

The current minimum specs are:
Windows 7 64bit or newer
Intel Core i5 -2300, AMD FX-4300 or better
8GB Ram
Nvidia GTX 560 / ATI Radeon 7850 Graphics card with 2GB of Graphics Memory or better

Further scenic design from that GAF member:

planetcoaster2016-03-sws7m.png

He did a tutorial:

https://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=199058768&postcount=174

Just wonderful. Pity water is not ready yet. We've seen nothing of water even in Frontier's own videos but they have said they are still working away on the water simulation and, consequently, water rides. It looks like those paying for early bird access will continue to get more tools and additions to play with and test right up to the final game's release which is great as it will mean the community has a huge impact on the finished product.

There are more and more lets play videos emerging on Youtube. Well worth seeking some out.

Here's a link to almost 4hrs of play from a GAF member. No narration, but he know's what's up. Theming, theming, theming. My kind of player. :) Some great work here. Worth skipping through (better to observe what he is doing during the daytime cycles as it is quite hard to appreciate his work during the night cycle, though you do get an idea of how custom light placement works).

https://youtu.be/LU9QxDqrSp8

Some observations... I just love how you can blend building segments and objects to make unique custom designs, and how objects are even allowed to slightly overlap pathways. In previous similar games very strict collision detection always prevented you from doing this kind of thing, but not so here. It just adds to the feeling of being able to make every themed section so dense. Being able to place objects at any hight, even buried into the ground, or merging single rocks to create unique larger formations is just wonderful and opens up so many possibilities. What would be useful, looking at a lot of people play the Alpha though, is being able to scale the size of some objects. I wonder if that will ever be possible as presumably it will require scalable texture rendering/resolution. There are things like a ship's anchor prop for example, very big, that would be great if you could scale to other sizes. Ditto for certain signs. Maybe Frontier will do this in future, who knows. I'm sure some will be requesting it on their forums.

I didn't like the coaster track design for every ride entrance at first, but in the 4hr video above you can see the player customise it with theming, which perhaps is what Frontier would sooner encourage rather than providing a gallery of pre-themed ride entrances. At around 1hr 23mins you see the player add a skull and crossbones decal to the ride entrance for example, and even add large bones to cover the metal pillars of the entrance as well as a flag. It does not seem possible at this stage of the Alpha, but I am assuming players will be able to create custom signs and have whatever text they want displayed on them. 

I'm also wondering if there will ever be an option for custom music, to lock MP3s to shops and rides. This was possible in RCT2, and I think RCT3 if memory serves. 

It's amazing how you can so easily duplicate your own buildings too. It's very clever how the game recognises what you've cobbled together from many pieces as a singular structure allowing you to clone it if so desired. The ability to rotate anything from entire buildings, to single pieces, props, even trees, is fantastic as well. It's like all those little things hardcore designers used to lament in RCT3, that sense of "argh, if only I could just..." is addressed 99% in this game. The limitations of design now sit solely with the player alone.  

I'm sad the game will not be ready, as a final release, until the autumn/winter. It's such a summer game in my mind. I've very tempted to pay up with a pre-order and Alpha access, but I've further work I'd like to do to my PC first (add more ram and finally pick out a GPU. Financially I can't make that investment just yet however. Another part of me also just wants to leave it until the final game and having everything in place so I can just let my imagination run wild).

I know it feels like you're just talking to yourself, Daniel, but I'm reading.  Can't wait to play this, myself...

Nice to know I am not just typing at myself. I did indeed wonder after that lengthy post. :)

This is the best video I have seen yet. STUNNING scenery design work, especially when you consider he is creating an alpine theme from the various limited pieces available in the alpha at this time (and there's no plan for an alpine theme in the game itself).

Part2 from the fellow trying to do an Alpine design... Absolutely stunning.

https://youtu.be/3dEOSBockZw

Quite what he will create when the game is finished and the entire toolset becomes available boggles the mind. Truly inspirational design work and a great reminder to use some imagination and mix up scenery pieces from various themes to make something unique.

Apparently, after launch, Frontier DO plan to allow for full on user generated content in the game, allowing clever folk to design and render their own objects...etc. The lifespan of the game should be immense. It still amazes me what I see people do in RCT2 twelve years on.

This is also stunning work. Here a player creates a dense Pirate town with shops either side of an alleyway. Multiple buildings...etc. It is extraordinary.

There's some scenery clipping and lack of peep collision detection on some scenery that spills out onto pathways, but it is early days and I expect that to be improved. The clipping is really minimal it must be said, and night and day compared to RCT3 where walls and floors in custom buildings would clip all the time.