LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Planet Coaster announced for PC

I have no idea what parts the player built the queen out of. It's just staggering to me how people are so creative with the pieces the game gives you.

• Like 1

Opened up the Scenario Editor for the first time this week. It's odd that they don't let you move/create peep spawn points in sandbox mode, but do in the scenario editor. You can import your sandbox parks into the scenario editor and make such a change at least. I never liked the default tunnel entrance for peeps.

I'm still struggling to conceive a park that won't destroy my PC's performance. :) 

That's a SUPERB re-creation. The player has used the water coaster, which vehicle wise is the closest the game still has to a Pirates style boat. 

It's not on the workshop yet. I'd love to see how big it is.

New DLC on 27th of March - the Studio Pack which is very  Universal Studios inspired by the looks of things (complete with tram tour and animatronic shark):

E5oeBWU.jpg

On March 27, 2018 we are releasing the action-packed Studios Pack for you to get creative with. The newest paid content pack is specifically catered for those who want to bring that glitzy Hollywood glamour to their park. With new props, stunts, animatronics and special effects to boot, you'll be able to breath new life into those park center pieces. The content pack contains three new rides; the Big Screen Tour bringing guests face-to-face with your cinematic spectacles. Re-Motion ride has an adjustable robotic arm holding the seats which allow the seats to be moved freely in all directions! And finally Horror Heights; scream in terror in this classic multi-drop tower!

Set the stage and thrill your guests with new static and animated building attachments, props, vehicles, character animatronics, placeable special effects and more! Don't forget about what goes on behind the stage: new wall set, construction props and metropolis wall tiles together with Planet Coaster’s existing themes will allow you to build those far-from-glamourous... but essential backlots. 

The Planet Coaster Studios Pack is completely optional for you to purchase – you can get it from Steam or the Frontier Store for £7.99 ($10.99, €10.99). Please note that you need to have the Planet Coaster base game in order to download and play this extra content.

Horror Heights sounds like it could be Tower of Terror inspired?  Car objects seen in the teaser trailer (or rather the splash screen thumbnail for the trailer) will make a lot of people happy as some hardcore players who have built parking lots have also had to build cars out of hundreds of objects, so these should help bring the poly count down. Hard to picture what the Re-Motion ride will be like. Soarin' or more Harry Potter like maybe?

In the still image from the Youtube video I can spot window displays which is very interesting. It'd be nice if there are some Universal/Disney Hollywood Studios inspired Sunset/Hollywood Blvd building pieces with this pack.

I'm never going to get my damn Pirates of the Caribbean/Jurassic Park boat ride. 

There's also a free patch coming at the same time:

In addition to the paid content, we are releasing a small free update to all players which includes: hotels; get your guests to stick around for longer; eagerly awaited path tunnelling, allowing you to place a path-shaped holes in terrain; as well as triggerable flexi-colour on objects; and triggerable time of day in the ride camera - night becomes day in a flash!

Hoping for some more screenshots later this evening. Keen to see how hotels are implemented and whether users can build their own.

• Like 1

gvh1ETz.jpg

All these vehicles, inc buses, are great. Fans have been making cars and busses out of hundreds of individual pieces which naturally takes its toll on the CPU if you want to design parking lots for your park, so to now have individual car and bus designs will be of huge relief to players and computer performance.

Also, totally want to make a Die Hard ride (I wonder how customisable the look of the studio dlc's indoor tower drop ride will be). 

There's going to be a Youtube stream tomorrow showing all the available items in the new DLC (and hopefully we'll see how the free updated with the hotels is implemented too).

Great livestream this afternoon.

Some of the things shown:

Free 1.6 Update

Hotels are intelligently implemented. You basically have three modular elements, the entrance, premium rooms and economy rooms, and the rooms are just cubes that you link up so are free to design the exterior of the hotel building completely which is what most people were hoping for. You also get control over cleaning, and whether the hotel has a spa, gym, arcade...etc (you won't visibly see these areas inside, however). Peeps stay overnight, so your max park capacity limit can actually be expanded because people will be staying in the hotel.

There's a new sequencer called Ride Cam Time Machine to simulate different times of day for indoors when viewing on ride cam. This is basically a workaround to having dark rides actually be dark during the day time. So now if you build underground or indoors you can change the time of day on the ride, but not affect the actual time of day in the park so you will no longer have ambient daytime light bleeding through into dark rides if you ride them in the day.

Path tunnelling works as one would expect. 

You can stop track rides for up to a minute while in motion now which is useful if you have a focal point in a ride (think the cars stopping in Mr Toad's Wild Ride).

You can finally test transport rides again (never knew why this was removed in the first place. Crazy).

Glass pieces are part of the free update not the paid dlc. The addition of Glass is huge. You get several panels of different sizes. They're not grid pieces and you can colour them for tintend glass too. Frontier stress placing a lot of glass can be very CPU taxing (which is why we never originally going to get it).

You can now duplicate multi-selected items!

Studios DLC

The Horror Heights multi-drop elevator ride IS Tower of Terror, right down to a horizontal movement section and stopping at multiple floors to reveal dramatic scenes ahead of the drops. It is un-themed so you can let your imagination go nuts, and there are several drop sequence options to pick from.

Re-motion ride is indeed like the Harry Potter ride at Universal. You can place parabolic screen elements and add your own videos which is incredibly impressive when you see it in ride-cam pov mode. 

The Studio Tour tram can be a tracked ride or a transport, so could in theory ferry peeps from hotel/parking lots to park entrances ala Disneyland. 

New character animatronics including Zombies and Police, plus additions to previous character pirate, sci-fi and cowboy sets and 127 new animation sequences. You can colour the new ones, inc their skin colour (you can't yet do that to the existing character animatronics). At long last there are also female animatronic characters. There are also vehicle animatronics. 

The stationary vehicles are surprisingly customisable. You get a base design, but can change wheels, bumpers, decals...etc.

There is so much in the studios DLC. I'm sure some of the power users will have youtube videos up tomorrow going through everything piece by piece.

That’d require me having enough time to even come close to half finishing a park. :lol: It’s a game I love but in many ways is a decade too late. 

I’m obsessed with detail and realism, and when you come at the game from that angle you soon realise why the majority of equally obsessive players turn to Patreon, Youtube and Twitch to monetise the time they’re giving up to work on their builds. I also have zero understanding of how to record gameplay and do timelapses, and with the game asking everything of my cpu as it is I don’t know if I can try recording on top of that. I’ve spent more time in empty maps designing buildings than I have making parks and rides. It’s a challenge since there is no consistency with object scale in the game. I could have perhaps had a park  finished had I used some designs from the Steam workshop but I’d sooner make everything bespoke because I seem to revel in making life hard fot myself.

Since the scenario editor update last year allowed players to expand the map size and place spawn points where you like, I’d ideally like to build a two park resort on one map now that we have hotels, and also have a Citywalk style shopping and dining area. We’ll see how far I get. The parking lots, roads, hotel and shopping area would be built first, so it’ll be 2027 by the time I get to move on to the first of the two parks. I think, joking aside, this approach might solve a hang up I have had about just what kind of park to build, where now I could feasibly build both (though the game would not recognise it as two parks, but that’s not a big deal). I honestly don’t know what my PC can handle.

What’s good is with every new DLC pack and some free updates the devs seem to respond to some user related inspiration by making dedicated objects for things players previously had to build out of hundreds of individual pieces. The biggest example is cars and busses, which we now have in the Studios dlc. That all helps take some strain off the cpu.

• Like 1

Heheh sounds like your park is perpetually under construction :) that’s ok though. I love watching the clips for this game so I can wait till 20:27 p.m. That’s what you meant right?

• Haha 1

I’ll figure it out. Three months of marathon training has not left me wanting to play games during downtime which is surprising as you’d think them ideal after long weekend runs.

I’d definitely say it took a while for updates to bring the game up to where I hoped it would be at launch. I am angry it is still lacking a Pirates of the Caribbean style boat ride, and that the implementation of water rides in general (my favourites in real life) is rather half arsed. Since they allowed users to turn off collision detection last year, a literal game changer fron a design perspective, it has allowed the look of water rides to be a touch more realistic at least. 

Until the spooky pack and adventure pack we didn’t have much to call on for dark rides either, my other favourite ride type, unless lots of pieces were used to create custom objects (my PC just wouldn’t be able to cope with a lot of the work you see Silvarett do with his custom pieces). 

I’m honestly not a big fan of coasters outside of heavily themed Disney-esque ones, and the flat rides are over-themed and more carnival like than being suited to Disney style parks I aim to create. So the more inspiration Frontier get from Disney and Universal (as the three dlc packs seem to show) the better the game gets for my tastes.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, secretvampire said:

BUT, BUT...THE GAME IS CALLED...

I know, I know... :)  Even the Rollercoaster Tycoon series had enough beyond coasters to keep all park fans happy though. It took Frontier to see what people were doing with the tools for them to realise there are theming nuts out there in the wild, and they ended up calling on several of those nuts to help them promote the game over time. To their credit they have added a lot in response to player feedback and it has evolved considerably enough to always have my interest even though I might not have enough time to play it as much as I’d like. 

Since I often build elements for eventual parks and keep them in my custom blueprints, I have this evening commenced construction on my Die Hard tower of terror-esque elevator ride so I should at the very least be able to share that sooner rather than later. No doubt others will beat me to it with the same concept, but what the hell. It's begging to be done, though frustratingly there is no animatronic of a man with a beard to use as Hans. There are also no contemporary styled goons, which is odd seeing as they added a load of police officers to the latest dlc, but I suppose they want to keep it family friendly hence adding zombies as enemies in the latest pack.

10 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I know, I know... :)  Even the Rollercoaster Tycoon series had enough beyond coasters to keep all park fans happy though. It took Frontier to see what people were doing with the tools for them to realise there are theming nuts out there in the wild, and they ended up calling on several of those nuts to help them promote the game over time. To their credit they have added a lot in response to player feedback and it has evolved considerably enough to always have my interest even though I might not have enough time to play it as much as I’d like. 

Hahah, you don't have to defend yourself, it was just too easy to pass up.  It reminded me of that Conan O'Brien clip where they were playing the Tomb Raider reboot:

Lara Croft:  "Ohhhhh...I just hate tombs..."

Conan:  "BUT YOU'RE A TOMB RAIDER!!!!"

• Like 2