LCVG
JTello

PlayStation 4: The Thread - Part 2 - Slim Releases on September 15th, 2016 for $299.99

Same here. Of course, 19 years of owning playstations and I still don't know which is R1 and R2 (and then same with left too).

Truth that! lol

The problem isn't the buttons. It's that the labels on the buttons are so small, it's next to impossible to tell which is which.

Anyway, the top one is Power and the lower one is Eject. I just figure Power is the more important one so its on top.

Any chance we can get a new thread for the PS4 discussion?  When I try to open this from my tablet's browser, I get a "too many redirects" message and it won't load.  Happens on this thread only.

Carlos.

I've never had the capacitive buttons fail to work, but I, too, frequently can't remember which is which. This seems common, and may explain the switch to labeled mechanical buttons.

I just hit them all

Eurogamer article on the revised PS4 (not first hand, but a Digital Foundry evaluation of the Pocket News teardown):

Let's talk about the physical make-up of the machine first. The changes extend way beyond the removal of the glossy plastics and a re-arrangement of the existing rear ports on the unit's exterior. On the inside, there's a new, smaller motherboard with a series of changes. Taking centre-stage is a reconfiguration of the GDDR5 memory set-up. Earlier incarnations of the PS4 used a considerable 16 memory modules to provide the 8GB complement - the new CUH-1200 makes use of double-density Samsung modules to halve that to just eight, which should reduce energy consumption significantly.

Within CUH-1200, there's still see the usual 5400rpm HGST Z5K500 hard drive, but other areas see change. There's the introduction of a simpler Blu-ray drive design, minor changes to component arrangement and the replacement of a few chips, including the Panasonic HDMI controller. There are also small changes to the cooling assemblies through the unit, but the main fan is the same. A new power supply is introduced: it's 80g lighter and has a lower output, which may also contribute to the overall improvement in power efficiency.

And that's where the new CUH-1200 model really comes into its own. According to Pocket News's metrics, standby power is anything from 30 to 50 per cent lower (depending on mode) compared to the launch unit, while the main menu is around 11 per cent more efficient. Perhaps not surprisingly, the biggest gain comes during gameplay, where the launch unit draws 148.6W, while CUH-1200 brings that down to 122W - that's an 18 per cent drop, and actually brings PS4 power consumption down to the same approximate level as Xbox One.

But for many, it'll be any reduction in fan noise that is most important, and without a proper hands-on, it's difficult to translate Pocket News's metrics into an appreciation of the actual experience. However, the launch PS4 was measured at a peak 60dB, dropping down to a minimum of 43dB and 57dB on average. In contrast, CUH-1200 handed in a peak 56dB, 42dB minimum and 52dB on average. It may not sound like a lot, but decibels aren't measured on a linear scale, and the Pocket News blogger notes that the new unit is noticeably quieter. As the new unit uses the same fan as the older hardware, the reduction in noise must simply come down to a lower rpm overall.

PlayStation 4's fan noise is one of the only issues we have with what is fundamentally a very well-designed piece of hardware. Sony chose to retain a console-like form-factor over the set-top box style found on Xbox One, resulting in a more stylish unit but one that by necessity requires a smaller fan spinning at a faster rate, inevitably producing more noise. But the bottom line is that an 18 per cent drop in power consumption leads to less heat generation overall, and thus less of a need to cool the internals quite so aggressively.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-new-ps4-hardware-is-quieter-cooler-and-more-power-efficient-blog

I noticed at the top of that page there is a $30 credit available toward a Magma controller if you trade in a first party PS4 or Xbox One controller, which isn't bad if your controller is getting wonky, and you happen to like the Magma. 

Anyone heard anything more about the 20th Anniversary controller that is supposed to be out in September?

I figure it's about time I followed up on this post from last month in which I discussed my plans to replace the thermal paste in my launch day PS4 console. Long story short, I was really bothered by how loud the fan was on my system and thought that replacing the stock thermal paste with a fresh batch of Arctic Silver 5 would do the trick.

First things first, I was able to successfully disassemble and reassemble the system relatively easy. The guide over at iFixit.com was a great help. The only issue I ran into was one odd hex screw that had a little dimple in the middle where the wrench goes in. This was preventing me from being able to fit the hex wrench into the screw and turn it. I had to get a pliers to loosen it and get it out. Frustrating, but it worked. Best of all after reassembly, the PS4 worked perfectly fine. I didn't break it after all!

So, what did I find inside? Here is what the thermal paste looked like on the main CPU after I opened it up.

h368Ko.jpg

VJUe9b.jpg

I'm no expert on these things, but that seemed like a pitiful amount of paste to me, and it was not in great shape. Luckily, it cleaned up easily enough.

GKfUCu.jpg

Sorry, I don't have a picture of the thermal paste after I reapplied it. I will say that I did my best to restrain the urge to put gobs on. I did a pretty good job, I think. In fact I may have been a little too conservative at first. After an initial application, I went ahead and added the tiniest bit more to it, at which point it seemed like enough to cover the chip adequately.

Now the big question is, did this make a difference? Does my PS4 run quieter and cooler than it did before? Has this in turn prevented the fan from going into overdrive whenever I play a graphically intense game?

I think so. At the time I did this, I was playing through Tomb Raider: Definitive Editionand it was not uncommon for me to hear the fans blowing like crazy to cool the system. This is in spite of the fact that my PS4 is sitting in an open cabinet with plenty of space to breathe. Now to be honest, I still think the PS4 is louder than I'd like it to be. It's slightly louder than my PS3 slim and Xbox 360 slim, and definitely louder my Xbox One, which I consider to be the new gold standard in terms of fan noise output. (Honestly, I don't think I've ever heard the fans at all on that thing since I purchased it.) However, the fan noise on my PS4 has been greatly reduced, and it has not gone into overdrive in the time since.

So, if someone were to ask me if this were a procedure worth undertaking if their PS4 seemed to be running hot and the fans are working hard all the time, I would say yes. If you're comfortable taking it apart and handling the electronics, which I imagine is the case given how many people here have custom built their own PC gaming rigs, then by all means do it. 

Anyway, if anyone has questions about the teardown or the aftermath, let me know. I'll try to answer them as best I can.

EDIT: Here's a link to Cameron's post on the subject in case you want to compare his pics with mine.

Jeff, I didn't post an update, but about a month ago I changed mine once more using MX-4 and I notice a difference now. It almost seems like this is the way it's "meant to work". For the AS5, I'd definitely give it some time to cure to see if it improves.

Everyone seems to put AS5 at the top of the list, but I preferred the MX-4 not only because of the performance, but it's easier to work with, no cure time, and it's supposedly non-conductive just in case you go any in the wrong place.

Jeff, I didn't post an update, but about a month ago I changed mine once more using MX-4 and I notice a difference now. It almost seems like this is the way it's "meant to work". For the AS5, I'd definitely give it some time to cure to see if it improves.

I was wondering if you had gone through with that. Glad to hear the system is working better for you. I suppose I could try some of the MX-4 at some point, but (A) I'm happy enough with the improvements I'm getting with regard to fan noise to not be motivated enough to take apart my PS4 again and try and (B ) I suspect that the PS4 is working the way it's supposed to now.

I'll continue to pay attention to it as I use the console more and the AS5 cures over time. Maybe at some point it will improve beyond what I'm already experiencing.

I've never had any problems with the amount of noise coming from my PS4.  It's something that I've never really noticed and that includes the last year when I was sitting just feet away from the thing.  That being said, I bought the extended warranty before the first year was up so even if the APU burns to a crisp I still have over a year of that covered.  Maybe once my extended warranty expires I'll think about doing that.  

• Like 1

I've never had any problems with the amount of noise coming from my PS4.  

Same. I'm 6ft away and I can't hear it.

• Like 1