LCVG
JTello

PlayStation 4: The Thread - Part 2 - Slim Releases on September 15th, 2016 for $299.99

8 hours ago, Starhawk said:

Here's a good walkthrough if anyone wanted to try it on Pro: https://imgur.com/a/420nWq8 (I didn't use liquid metal like this guy did)

From the walkthrough:

THIS IS VERY RISKY IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING! IF YOU SPILL ANY OR HAVE ANY SPILL OVER FROM APU ONTO THE DIODES AND IF THEY ARE NOT PROTECTED BY TAPE OR POLISH, YOUR PS4 IS GRADE A FUCKED AND FRIED THE SECOND THE POWER TURNS ON!!!!

Well, he certainly convinced me to not go down this route. I think I still have some of that thermal paste from when I tried to improve the acoustics of my first PS4 lying around somewhere. That would do the trick, right?

2 hours ago, JFo said:

From the walkthrough:

Well, he certainly convinced me to not go down this route. I think I still have some of that thermal paste from when I tried to improve the acoustics of my first PS4 lying around somewhere. That would do the trick, right?

Yeah, that's the exact reason I didn't bother with the liquid metal. The one you used for the other PS4 would would work.

19 hours ago, Romier S said:

I’ve said it before but I’ve had a launch Pro that has never been obscenely loud or even worthy of attention in just about every game I’ve played on it. So I consider myself lucky in that regard.

Just curious, did the fans ever get loud for you playing God of War? That seems to be the worst offender for me on my console.

34 minutes ago, JFo said:

Just curious, did the fans ever get loud for you playing God of War? That seems to be the worst offender for me on my console.

Yeah, that and the Horizon map come to mind. 

Why the hell would anyone ever use a thermal paste that's electrically conductive? That's just lunacy. Even if you get away with it at the time, if the system ever gets so hot it goes soft and runny you've a dead box.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Starhawk said:

Yeah, that and the Horizon map come to mind. 

Doom was the first for me. Then Horizon and GoW. 

6 hours ago, JFo said:

The console got louder during God of War, Detroit and more recently Spider-Man but not to a point where it actively drew my attention away from the games in question. God of War did irk me initially because of the whirring sound from the disc drive when it would go into a state where it was reading but that was few and far between. When folks say the console sounds like a jet engine (and I've seen videos of such), I've never had that happen to me as of yet (crosses fingers). It may help that I have my Pro in my TV rack that's completely open air (as I do for all of my consoles)?

That said, the X is without question significantly quieter than the Pro when both consoles are being stressed.

52 minutes ago, Romier S said:

It may help that I have my Pro in my TV rack that's completely open air (as I do for all of my consoles)?

Yes, I imagine that helps tremendously. If I leave the doors on my entertainment center closed while playing a game on either the PS4 Pro or Xbox One X, it will eventually send the fans into overdrive.

Just read this, and applying liquid metal is a risk I'm not sure I would undertake on building a new computer let alone doing this on a PS4 Pro.  But the other part of me is very tempted to.

3 hours ago, Dimness said:

Just read this, and applying liquid metal is a risk I'm not sure I would undertake on building a new computer let alone doing this on a PS4 Pro.  But the other part of me is very tempted to.

2 hours ago, Romier S said:

Quality thermal paste is more than enough. Dude went overboard.

He does several unnecessary things and probably makes it more complicated than it needs to be. In retrospect, this is probably a better guide:

It’s interesting how the fans can get louder in menus and more idle momets in games. Left MGSV running while I’m in the helicopter and develop some weapons and the the fans really kick in. 

Sony is skipping E3 2019. I’m almost surprised how ok I am with this as I’m plenty busy and have enough to play. Makes the PS5 even more unpredictable. 

Also happy 5th birthday PS4. 

• Like 2

On 11/8/2018 at 2:33 PM, JFo said:

Now that I have God of War I can certainly join those saying it’s by the far noisiest game I’ve run on my Pro, to the extent that I’ve taken to playing it with a decent pair of headphones since I don’t have an av receiver/surround to amplify the audio and drown out the console.

I do also sit about five feet from the PS4 too, which can’t help. I’d love more thought to be given to cooling and heat dispersion in the next gen. How noisy does an X get?

4 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

How noisy does an X get?

In my experience, whisper quiet, even under load. Just be sure to give it plenty of ventilation and you’ll be fine. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Aren't they liquid cooled?  Everyone seems to say they are whisper quiet. 

It’s a vapour chamber type design I think, rather than strict liquid cooling. Could be wrong but that’s what I vaguely recall reading during teardowns.

Yeah my X1X is dead silent (mostly because I never turn it on - but when it's on I don't hear it).

• Haha 1

Yep pretty silent. It's really a nice piece of H/W. 

My Pro in contrast is a jet engine, though it looks like they fixed that on the latest iteration: