LCVG
JTello

PlayStation 4: The Thread - Part 2 - Slim Releases on September 15th, 2016 for $299.99

For comparison, the only consoles that have sold more units are Wii with 101.5 million, the original PlayStation with 102.5 million, and PlayStation 2 at 155 million+   

• Like 2

Jim Ryan now taking over as CEO and President:

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/02/12/sony-reveals-new-ceo-and-president-jim-ryan/

"Current SIE President and CEO John (Tsuyoshi) Kodera will dedicate his focus on creating innovative user experiences and further enhancing the network area as Deputy President of SIE. At the same time, Jim Ryan will also assume the role of Representative Director and President of SIE's Japan-based legal entity, Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc., and John Kodera will be its Representative Director and Deputy President. Jim Ryan will report directly to Kenichiro Yoshida, President and CEO of Sony Corporation."

Little more background on it:

https://www.marketwatch.com/press-release/new-management-structure-of-sony-interactive-entertainment-2019-02-11

PS4 Remote Play App now available on iOS, allowing you to stream games directly to your iPhone or iPad.

EDIT: It looks like you can only use on-screen controls to play games? If so, BOO! This app is worthless unless I can plug in a genuine Dual Shock 4.

• Like 2

It’s nice to have a free app for remote play instead of the old paid apps so I’m ok with that. Also, you can use a dual shock apparently but, it still needs to be paired to the PS4 and in range rather than connected to the iPhone/iPad. This means I can play Spider-Man while the wife watches TV but, it’s still more limited than just using remote play on a laptop or something else. MFI controller support would be a nice middle ground but, just give us DualShock BT pairing on the iPad and it would be perfect. 

5 hours ago, JFo said:

PS4 Remote Play App now available on iOS, allowing you to stream games directly to your iPhone or iPad.

EDIT: It looks like you can only use on-screen controls to play games? If so, BOO! This app is worthless unless I can plug in a genuine Dual Shock 4.

Neat. Gonna check this out. Thanks for the heads up!

8 hours ago, Magness said:

It’s nice to have a free app for remote play instead of the old paid apps so I’m ok with that. Also, you can use a dual shock apparently but, it still needs to be paired to the PS4 and in range rather than connected to the iPhone/iPad. This means I can play Spider-Man while the wife watches TV but, it’s still more limited than just using remote play on a laptop or something else. MFI controller support would be a nice middle ground but, just give us DualShock BT pairing on the iPad and it would be perfect. 

I tested out the iOS app this evening. I was able to connect to my PS4 Pro with my 2017 iPad Pro and it seemed to work fine. I did try using a Dual Shock 4 to control the system, but every time I turned it on, I was logged out of the Remote Play app. I think the PS4 recognizes the iPad as the controller, so connecting in a Dual Shock 4 to the system wirelessly doesn’t work. For shits and giggles, I did try to play Spider-man with the touch screen controls, and it went about as well as I expected, which is to say, not well at all.

MFi (Made For iPhone) controllers do work with the app, apparently, and this is probably the best thing that ever happened to those peripherals (along with Fortnite support). My only reservation is that these controllers—in my humble opinon—suck in comparison to any of the ones made by the big three console manufacturers. The SteelSerius Nimbus is widely considered the best of the bunch, but even that one feels terrible in the hand when compared to the DS4. I suppose if I’m really in a pinch and want to play my PS4 games on the go, it’s the best option. However, if I just want to play a game on my iPad using a Dual Shock 4 while the kids watch Paw Patrol on the big TV, I can’t do that.

That said, I did give the Remote Play app on the Mac another go this evening. I hadn’t used it since I moved into my new house and got the PS4 Pro. I set it up so that I would get 1080p visuals and a “high” framerate. I have to admit, I was pretty impressed by how well it worked. I’m guessing that the iMac connected to the PS4 through my LAN, since everything is hooked up with wires, which helped the visual quality and controller response. I played Spider-man for about 20-30 minutes, and it felt like I was playing it on my my TV. 

• Like 1

I hadn’t seen that MFI controllers worked so that’s good news, sucks about the DS4 though... I agree, it’s of limited usefulness on iPad when it *could be great. However, as you pointed out remote play on a MacBook (or any laptop) with the DS4 connected via USB is a great way to play without the TV. I’ve played that way a fair amount of the time and its rock solid for me too. Just wish I could do all of this wirelessly on my iPad with the DS4 via Bluetooth and I’d be set.