LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Dimness

Whiskey And Other Fine Spirits

^^^Technically Japanese whisky; not bourbon.

I've been sticking with Four Roses small batch (and occasionally single barrel) for a while. I like it, but I'd like to find some new bourbons.

Gentlemen: If you see it / have access, pick up some Noah's Mill bourbon. It's wonderful. Just a good, balanced whiskey that you'll find easy but interesting.

This was not a bad choice at all.  I got a bottle (had to find it in Louisville for some reason), and it's served me well.

• Like 1

Old Scout Single Barrel, 10 Year

This is a good below $60 bourbon that was recommended to me.  The barrel taste isn't as strong as the ten years would leave you to believe.  It's sweet without being over powering.  A good one to try out.

Currently meandering through a bottle of Widow Jane unfiltered Rye. It's a cloudy, aggressive whisky and I'm actually really enjoying it.

Just started a bottle of TinCup American whiskey and I like it. It's smooth and tastes really good, once it gets a little water from a couple of my large ice cubes.

Carlos.

Rye is my jam. Turned my girlfriend on to it, a neighbor, and an employee; all now fans.

I just recently had a Rye bourbon.  Shit's good.

Rise from your grave.

Woodford Reserve: Double Oaked

I can't honestly figure out why I have inconsistent taste buds.  On one hand, I get the whole, "this is pretty good".  It's stronger than normal Woodford Reserve, and I kind of like it.  But then there are days where I feel like I'm drinking sugar covered saw dust.  The barrel notes are that strong sometimes when I pick up the "sweetness" of bourbon.  Anybody else get that?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dimness said:

Rise from your grave.

Woodford Reserve: Double Oaked

I can't honestly figure out why I have inconsistent taste buds.  On one hand, I get the whole, "this is pretty good".  It's stronger than normal Woodford Reserve, and I kind of like it.  But then there are days where I feel like I'm drinking sugar covered saw dust.  The barrel notes are that strong sometimes when I pick up the "sweetness" of bourbon.  Anybody else get that?

Yes, absolutely. Taste is a complex thing - your olfactory process has a lot to do with your sinus conditions, what you ate earlier, if your histamines are active, etc. and whiskey triggers tons of taste buds from the bitters to the sweets, so it'll change.

This is why one keeps multiple bottles around for various moods. :)

• Like 2

This past Christmas, I finally can remove something off my bucket list: I had moonshine for the first time.  The company kind and the distilled in the mountains in the backyard kind.

• Like 4

After decades of being convinced it wasn’t for me, a trip to the Harris Distillery for their tour last year made me realise that Whisky is like Jazz - I just don’t like the “easy” blends they try to start people with. Currently have a deliciously peaty 12yo Highland Park on the go.