LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Starhawk

Friday the 13th: The Game - Kickstarter with Cunningham, Hodder, Savini involved

*high pitch man-scream warning* , but scenarios like this make me look forward to the game.

When the video skips, it's indication that Jason used his teleport ability.

Only had a chance to play a couple games tonight, but ran into my first bug. I was in the car by myself and literally as soon as I got across the "finish" line, I got kicked for being idle. I was driving for awhile, and it's almost like the game didn't register input while driving.

Otherwise, so far it was really fun from what I played.

Had a blast playing it this morning. In one game, I was the sorority girl and found all the parts for the boat, but my character was too dumb to be able to fix it. I had to find a boy to help me :lol: He fixed it we got the hell out of there.

Even when you die, the scenarios the other players and Jason get in are entertaining as hell.

Had a blast playing it this morning. In one game, I was the sorority girl and found all the parts for the boat, but my character was too dumb to be able to fix it. I had to find a boy to help me :lol: He fixed it we got the hell out of there.

Somebody's already writing an article condemning the game for this. I can feel it in my bones Annie.

Somebody's already writing an article condemning the game for this. I can feel it in my bones Annie.

Heh, not all girls lack repair skills, but it's certainly based on 80's movies archetypes.

And I can't connect online. Yay.

Looks like they are rebooting the servers as per twitter. Should be back up soon.

Servers came up and back down. "Too many users"

Waste of $40 so far. I shouldn't be mad but this is just silly. Maybe a beta test on consoles might have helped, guys? Regardless, I know this is a small group of guys, etc. it is what it is.

So have the servers been improved yet?

They improved them with regards to people seeing the "Database login" error, but before that, as long as you got into a game, it was fine. Now we're seeing performance drop while actually in-game. Romier and I had it disconnect us 3 times if I remember correctly.

The game is really fun otherwise.

So have the servers been improved yet?

Yes and no.

They took them down yesterday for three hours or so to correct the database login issues and also to correct issues where folks weren't getting XP, perks weren't working and saving a counselor or Jason profile would lead to an endless save loop. I logged in after the reboot and didn't get a single database error, I started getting XP and the save profile worked (yay!). However, matchmaking is hopelessly broken. Finding a match can take in excess of 10+ minutes and the matches I did manage to get into later in the evening all invariably disconnected or timed out.

There is a patch supposedly being released today to correct more problems. Hopefully it does as right now this is a glorified early access title that costs $40. Which is ashame as the underlying game here is a metric ton of fun when it works and your in a game with good people that use a mic. The amount of fun you have is directly proportional to how much communication is happening in the room. Thankfully, a vast majority of the people I've met have been super nice, willing to engage and are just as eager to work together and have fun. I've added a number of new folks to my friends list.

When this ends up working 100%, I would highly recommend it. Getting a full room of 8 LCVGers in a private match would be amazing.

Yeah, this game sounds so promising.  If they spend the next year working on it, I bet this will be an awesome game.

The game itself is awesome now outside of server issues.

Yeah, this game sounds so promising. If they spend the next year working on it, I bet this will be an awesome game.

I think you could watch a gameplay video (such as the one linked in this thread) and get a good idea if the game meets the "promise." I watched the entire video, to get a good sense, and although it's certainly cool in some respects I think it has a boring factor that potentially negates the fun. Unless it's been addressed with an update of some sort, the notion of waiting around after you've been killed looks like there's potential for a deal breaker, depending on how much free time you want to put into the game. (Some people might rather get their xp immediately and move on, rather than being forced to wait until everyone finishes to get their experience) And depending on how much enjoyment you get from waiting and watching the other players play after your own death.

Now I may come across as particularly negative, so let me also say that I do also see the potential for great laughs and fun with this game. Both in gameplay panic, and via headset chat with other players.

Unless it's been addressed with an update of some sort, the notion of waiting around after you've been killed looks like there's potential for a deal breaker, depending on how much free time you want to put into the game. (Some people might rather get their xp immediately and move on, rather than being forced to wait until everyone finishes to get their experience) And depending on how much enjoyment you get from waiting and watching the other players play after your own death.

For me, unless you get killed really early in the match, it never felt too long, and if so it was a good time for a break. Even then, you may respawn as Tommy Jarvis. I've also enjoyed spectating the other players cameras quite a bit. There never really feels like there is downtime to me. Also, I don't think you can receive XP until the match is over. 

Unless it's been addressed with an update of some sort, the notion of waiting around after you've been killed looks like there's potential for a deal breaker, depending on how much free time you want to put into the game.

Adding to what Cameron said, it goes back to my original point - if you're in a room where no one is talking, yeah. It's boring as fuck waiting around. If you're in a good room? It's almost as fun watching other players try to escape/fight Jason. A good bit of the laughs I've had in the game have been after I've died. :)

(Some people might rather get their xp immediately and move on, rather than being forced to wait until everyone finishes to get their experience)

You've got to understand the structure of the game. The point of the experience is to build communication/teamwork between counselors. The better you work together, the higher the chance you'll escape (and earn more XP). If you die within two minutes, get your XP and jet to move to the next room - what did you accomplish outside of being impatient? Keep in mind that once a round is over, the game doesn't just dump you back into the main menu. You're back in the lobby with the same group of players to try again. 

It's a GOOD thing that you only gain XP after a match is over. If not, you'd have people dropping the minute they die left and right and the experience would absolutely be worse overall.