LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Ni no Kuni 2 [PS4/PC] - 2018

Now the question is do I play my copy of the first game finally, or wait for the inevitable PS4-remaster-in-advance-of-the-sequel...

Hm. I'm psyched, but there's clearly no Ghibli involvement this time. I LOVED the actual animation cuts in the first one. Their character design and animation will be missed.

If Ghibli as a whole is not involved, there is still a connection as Yoshiyuki Momose is from Ghibli and he's credited at the very end there.

I did see that, and I hope you're right! Would really love some actual hand-drawn animation in this one again.

Really looks great.

I still wish we could get a PS4 port of the last one though (purely for selfish reasons of wanting to put my PS3 into storage). In fairness it is on PS Now, but in 4k it would be spectacular on a PS4 Pro.

PS4 exclusive no more. Ni No Kuni 2 will also be coming to PC:

Ni No Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom will be released for PC along with PlayStation 4 when it launches later this year.

Publisher Namco Bandai has yet to say exactly when it'll arrive, but our USGamer friends report the game will get a simultaneous worldwide release (the original took over a year to reach these shores).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-26-ni-no-kuni-2-revenant-kingdom-headed-to-pc-as-well-as-ps4

That leaves me wanting a re-issue of the first game even more.

This is receiving very positive reviews. Music sounds like a step back sadly, but from a gameplay standpoint there seems to be a lot of improvement to the combat system...etc. It's said to clock in at around 30hrs too, so not too obscene. It'd be a shame if a remake of the first game never surfaces someday with some of the sequel's improvements (though I'd still take a straight PC port of the first one too).

And bought, on the strength of PC reviews. I need some JRPG joy in my life! :)

My son currently playing, he loved the first one, game looks fantastic with HDR implemented, but it is Kirby levels of easy so far. It's not stopping him from enjoying it though.

Yeah, battles are ridiculously easy so far, but it's utterly charming to go with. Overworld map! Tons of random systems to learn/unlock! Town building! Weird RTS rock-paper-scissors battles with armies! It's very PS1 era RPG so far, and did I say charming? 

Voice acting is weirdly inconsistent, like they could only afford a third of the lines. 

Almost at the end. So utterly a classic "mixed bag" of a game. 

Difficulty is non-existant in the main game mode. A few spikes, but if you've been slogging through the battles, it should be straightforward. Battles are generally very quick & lack challenge. I've never used a potion to heal a status condition like poison/stun etc... 

The "Skirmish" battles are badly paced, and very spikey in difficulty, as well as poorly explained. I'm at the end of the game & just discovered I can recruit mid-battle to refill ranks. Sigh. 

The world building is fine, generally. The story is fine, generally. There's one chapter that's just bizarrely plotted, making no sense whatsoever once the "twist" is revealed - like no sense whatsoever. Characters are fine. The one you start with isn't the 'Main' character, it's a kid called Evan. 

All in all, it's a hodge podge of poorly explained systems, a hodge podge of world building, and near zero difficulty to the game. 

The kingdom building's generally what kept me involved. Researching topics, building up special buildings, recruiting characters around the world to fill up space in my kingdom. It's the system that's kept me going. 

Oh, and the voice acting... There's nowhere near enough dialogue that's voiced, and it's an oddball set that is - half a scene here & there, one line in a conversation etc. But whoever did the voice direction for the English dub is a genius. Lots of British accents, including a Glaswegian wood-elf. 

• Like 1