LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Jordan_E

My Atmos Experience

Since I didn't want to clog the Blu Ray section, I thought starting this would be a better idea.  Still tweaking the height placement, trying to find a less destructive way to have them angle upward from their current position, above the front mains.  But, right now, listening to just music in this speaker configuration is amazing.  Like movies, the front stage is enormous now.  Will update when things get nailed down.

I'll get pics when I get the heights done right; hate that the wires are just hanging down to the floor right now.

The front stage is enormous means the entire area, from the ceiling to the floor and side to side, is filled with whatever I'm playing.  In other words. I'm getting 5 speakers firing toward the seating positions from the front, rather than the usual 3.  Dolby's details on speaker placement is hard to understand, to say the least, so I've been taking cues from many sources, and doing old fashioned inching various speakers, trying to get that sweet spot.

Itching to play San Andreas again, but want to wait until things are settled in properly.  

Are you doing in-ceiling speakers for your heights, or are you using those modules that bounce sound off the ceiling?

What receiver/speakers are you using?

Thanks for sharing. I will likely get mine set up in the Spring. Planning on in-ceiling heights.

Carlos.

No in-ceiling speakers, but a pair of Bostons that I have angled toward the ceiling from their height positions.  I've seen diagrams where you should have them directly above your seated position or on the wall above the main front speakers, so I went with the second option, since I also have a sofa behind the two theater chairs.  Besides, I would alway be nervous that the speakers would drop down on my head eventually if I went the first way. 

My receiver is the Pioneer 1130K.  Not high end, but does the job.  My speakers are Vienna Acoustics for the front stage (center and front mains) and Klipsch for the surrounds.

Listening to music with the Dolby Surround option turned on (giving you the height speakers) and in the dark is such a relaxing experience.  I've also tried JAWS with that option and you get John Williams iconic score coming in from the height speakers, which only improves the movie for me.  Actually, I've listened to more music than watched movies so far.

Let me know how it sounds with the in-ceiling option; that's the only way I'd do it with the overhead configuration.  

Still itching for overhead speakers.  While the position I have mine in gives me a full screen soundstage, I still think I'm not getting the true Atmos overhead sound effect.  Will be looking for good, solid brackets, rather than go in-ceiling.  Do not want to cut a hole in my ceiling.  BTW, In the Heart of the Sea had some nice Atmos moments, such as hearing the wooden stomping of men on deck while the scene takes place below.  

Struggling with this as well. The bounce-of-the-ceiling thing seems chintzy to me. Is it?

I say it only works with Atmos effects half the time, as I keep reading all of these amazing sounds on various online reviews and only catch maybe part of them.  As I've posted before, it fills the front soundstage nicely, especially with non-Atmos titles, but there has to be more to be had.  Still looking for solid brackets, as I wouldn't want those speakers falling on my head!  They are not huge, but would do damage to the ol skull bone!

Yeah I'm going to have to have someone come in and mount some proper overheads in my place. Thanks for the confirmation.

Bought a pair of speaker mounts.  Nervous to put them up.  Need to find my old wall stud finder ASAP.  And am worried about the projector throw, although I might be able to get away with mounting them more off to the sides and aiming them toward the seats.

And played the Dolby Atmos promos off Vudu,  Daughter was impressed; wife said "I didn't hear anything."  We're starting to think she's deaf!

Bought a pair of speaker mounts.  Nervous to put them up.  Need to find my old wall stud finder ASAP.  And am worried about the projector throw, although I might be able to get away with mounting them more off to the sides and aiming them toward the seats.

And played the Dolby Atmos promos off Vudu,  Daughter was impressed; wife said "I didn't hear anything."  We're starting to think she's deaf!

I played the same demos for my wife. She said something like "why's it do that?"

I played the same demos for my wife. She said something like "why's it do that?"

:excuseme   

But if I took the speakers down, I know my wife would go:  "It doesn't sound as good now."

:excuseme   

But if I took the speakers down, I know my wife would go:  "It doesn't sound as good now."

Of course. Or, "can you play the thunder and lightning demo thing for my mom?"

Put the speakers in the Dolby-suggested spots.  Initial check?  Sounded pretty dang good.  Going to be watching Fury Road later today for a full check.

The Atmos blu ray of Roger Waters' The Wall is really great.

I've only watched one DTS-X movie, Crimson Peak, and it was good, but so far I've found Atmos to be better. For my Yamaha, you have to change the configuration from Overhead to Heights for DTS-X or you will get bleed through to the mains when it's just supposed to be the overheads.

The atmosphere mix for Deadpool and Fury Road are the standouts so far.

Carlos.

Didn't understand the plot, or the point, of Terminator Genysis, but oh that Atmos mix was outrageously good. It really gives the overheads a workout, and I thought my walls were going to cave in from the LFE.

Carlos.

Oh dang, I need to re-rent that one since putting up my heights in the right position.  Was thinking of re-renting Everest, too.  

Terminator not available to rent around here anymore, the main reason I hate the death of Blockbuster:  not being able to get older titles as easily anymore.  

13 Hours.  Very immersive, especially during the 2nd half of the movie.  A good Atmos disc.

Yes, I agree.  I will be watching this one again and again.  

I'm going to try to pick up Independence Day on UHD today.  Some are raving about the DTS-X mix on that one.  I need to hear it for myself.  

Carlos.

I'm going to try to pick up Independence Day on UHD today.  Some are raving about the DTS-X mix on that one.  I need to hear it for myself.  

Don't forget the UHD of The Martian (Extended) w/Atmos came out in the US today, plus Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters 2. :)