LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Jordan_E

My Atmos Experience

Nice.  I was wondering if Hacksaw Ridge was getting Atmos on Blu Ray.  Came that close to getting it digitally, but wanted to see if the Blu had Atmos first.  I can wait.

Might be moving my Atmos speakers to the directly overhead position.  Thinking the side position loses some of the overhead sounds, unless the mix is very pronounced.  Now to find something sturdy so I won't keep thinking the speakers might drop on my head.

So I'm finally getting to the wiring for the media room.... 

I already have 7 speakers which I used to use in 7.1 configuration in my old house. I think I want to go for 7.1.4 this time (so 4 height channels like here: https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/7-1-4-setups.html)

What are you guys running? 5.1.4? 7.1.2? 5.1.2?

I'm running 7.2.4. 7 surrounds, 2 SVS subs, and B&W for all speakers, including 4 in-ceiling for the Atmos overheads.

I bought dipoles for the middle and rear surround speakers but I find that Atmos movies sound better with them in monopole mode. Luckily it's easy to switch them back and forth with a switch on the speaker.

Carlos.

I'm running 7.2.2  

As far as rearranging the overheads, I put on San Andreas and remembered what a good Atmos mix sounded like!  No need to move the speakers with that movie.  Still, itching to try directly overhead, but will probably wait.  Still toying with the idea of trying the 7.2.6 set up I saw over at AVS, as I have the extra receivers laying around, but not enough speakers at the moment, plenty of floor-standing speakers, but none small enough to put above.

Nice! What receiver are you using?

I have the Yamaha RX-A3050, which can process sound for all 11 channels but can only amplify 9 of them.

So I had to add the Marantz MM7055 5-channel amp which I use for my 3 front speakers. This also works out great for listening to 2.2 channel music.

The Yamaha also got a firmware upgrade that enabled DTS-X surround, but there are precious few movies released in that format and I'm yet to find one better than Atmos.

Carlos.

A question please:

As I stated in the receiver thread I will add two atmos speakers at some point in the near future.  I would like to keep the option open to add two more, for all 11 total, at a further point in the future.  The Dolby page shows two overheads in front of the viewer and two more behind the viewer.  Is there any agreement over which is preferred in a 7.1.2 setup?

Thanks

On 6/16/2017 at 2:14 PM, Eldorado said:

A question please:

As I stated in the receiver thread I will add two atmos speakers at some point in the near future.  I would like to keep the option open to add two more, for all 11 total, at a further point in the future.  The Dolby page shows two overheads in front of the viewer and two more behind the viewer.  Is there any agreement over which is preferred in a 7.1.2 setup?

Thanks

The two in front (also called presence speakers in Yamaha land). I say this as someone who hangs out with the Atmos team.

51 minutes ago, Josh said:

The two in front (also called presence speakers in Yamaha land). I say this as someone who hangs out with the Atmos team.

Thanks.  I'd done a little reading over at AVS and that seemed to be the consensus.  

On 12/26/2016 at 3:18 PM, Carlucci said:

I've been playing around with watching my old 5.1 and 7.1 movies with the Dolby Surround upmix option on my Yamaha, and it is impressive. I feel like I'm in a sphere of sound when I should be, while not losing one bit of the discreet channel encoding. Every time I do an A/B comparison, I like the DSU more.

Ive never been a fan of the DSP modes, but this seems to be a step above those, and I have to go with what my ears like. It really helps Atmos-ify movies.

Carlos.

I've been reading about the Dolby Surround upmixing. It's not Yamaha specific but actually provided by Dolby. They scrapped PLII upmixing tech and create a new one from scratch for Atmos systems. It seems it does a much much better job than PLII ever did.

Even though I don't have height speakers yet,  Atmos makes my side and back surrounds way more enveloping it seems.

Have you guys tried these demos?

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2280658-how-get-dolby-atmos-demo-disk-files-downloads-september-2015-a.html

I tried the Dolby atmos disc (still downloading the other ones). Great demo material there. I had to use my laptop into my receiver to play these as I don't have a bluray burner, but Windows 10 bitstreamed those out through HDMI without an issue.

Some good DTS:X material too in Vol #20. What's neat is that some of them have both DTS:X and DTSHD tracks so I can switch and compare. 

You can definitely tell the difference in how much smoother something pans in the surrounds with DTS:X. 

Found DTS Demo Vol #21. More DTS:X demos.  I think a better showcase of DTS:X can Vol #20.

Jason Bourne demo sounded fantastic - surprisingly The Big Short did too, very enveloping as was Whiskey Tango Foxtrott.

Saw IT over the weekend at an Atmos theater.  Could hear quite a few overhead sounds, but their center array was too screechy for my tastes.  Can't wait to buy this one for my home Atmos.

Finally moved my UHD player into the HT, just to check out the Atmos on various discs.  Wow!  Blade Runner.  *drool*  Even IT sounded superior to the Blu Ray Atmos.  

• Like 2

On 3/2/2017 at 6:48 PM, AlbertA said:

So I'm finally getting to the wiring for the media room.... 

I already have 7 speakers which I used to use in 7.1 configuration in my old house. I think I want to go for 7.1.4 this time (so 4 height channels like here: https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/7-1-4-setups.html)

Bah -  a year later and I still don't have a proper atmos system. I did finally did the in-wall wiring for my 7.1 setup though - it was painful to reach the header on that backwall as it meets a slanted ceiling - doing -45 degree incline pushups with one hand and another holding a drill is not something I've ever trained for :)

The main thing holding me back is finding a reasonably priced receiver with preamp outputs for Atmos height channels. In the denon line, the lower model that has 11 channel support is the X4400H, which refurbished is still $1K - too much for my taste, especially when receivers depreciate so quickly.

On 3/2/2017 at 7:48 PM, AlbertA said:

When putting the HT in our new house together, I wired for 7.2.6 but am only using 5.1.4 at the moment.  I'll need a new AVR (and, of course, additional speakers) to go all that further than where I am now.  (I could do 7.1.4 with an external amp.)  ...and since I spent more than I wanted to last year on a new AVR, it'll be a long while before that happens.  :)