LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Jordan_E

My Atmos Experience

Niiiiiiice!

I need to slow down but the SVS Prime Elevation speakers have piqued my interest.

For those of you with atmos setups, how tall is your ceiling? Wondering what the minimum recommended height is.

3 hours ago, Angel P said:

Niiiiiiice!

I need to slow down but the SVS Prime Elevation speakers have piqued my interest.

I've been seeing YouTube videos on those and they do look nice, indeed!

40 minutes ago, NickC said:

For those of you with atmos setups, how tall is your ceiling? Wondering what the minimum recommended height is.

My HT is two bedrooms with a wall knocked out, so the ceiling is normal bedroom height, plenty of height room.  If I had a real short ceiling height, I would seriously think of trying bouncing the sound off the ceiling rather than mounting, but the positioning would have to be pretty precise. 

My basement unfinished is 9', hopefully will be around 8' when its finished, seems like that would be OK to use ceiling speakers.

2 hours ago, NickC said:

My basement unfinished is 9', hopefully will be around 8' when its finished, seems like that would be OK to use ceiling speakers.

Oh yeah, 8' should be high enough, for sure.  But tinker with the sound.  I run my heights about 1.5+ db's higher than what is set after the AVR runs the sound test.

Got the whole shebang  up and running now.  DTS:X.  Atmos.  Auro3D.  Running 10.1.  And the POWER!  Have my heights and surrounds run with the Marantz, while the center, mains, and VoG speaker is being run by my Pioneer SC-09.  Only got to watch a bit of IT, but it sounded so much better,  You seem to be in a sphere of sound, at least with that movie.  More testing today.

• Like 3

I've ordered 4 more in-ceiling speakers plus a two-channel amp to run the rear surrounds.  I'll let my Yamaha run the mains, sides and overheads.  So when I get the gumption to get it all done, and it will be a couple full days of work, I'll be running a 7.1.4 setup.  

• Like 4

4 more?  Do you already have in-ceilings?  

I nearly shit a turd in "A Quiet Place" when the creatures banged on their rooftop.   In-ceiling Atmos speakers are way too realistic sometimes!  

Carlos.

• Like 2

Yeah, I saw that typo this morning.  I meant to say 4, period.  I just have 7.1 right now.

It'll still be a while before I get it all in since I'll have to get into the attic to run the wires since it is still pretty warm right now.  

The speakers and amp arrived today.  I bought two pairs of Polk RC80i's.  They should pair pretty well with the Polks I already have for the front and sides.  I have some older JBL Northridges in the back that will be powered by a Dayton Audio APA150.  Maybe not the best amp but it gets good reviews and should be well more than enough to power the rears.  And this shit has gotten expensive enough for now.

Now, I'm just waiting on my buddy to let me know when he can come up and help with the install.  As soon as he does I'll take the day off before and get all the preliminary work done, like moving the screen and projector, and get the furniture moved out of the way.  Then when he gets here we just need to cut the holes, mount the speakers, run the wires and move the furniture back.  Easy peasy.

• Like 2

Alrighty, so the install and redesign is all set for this Saturday.  It's supposed to be cloudy and not terribly hot, bonus.  I've taken and put some before pics up on Instagram.  Once I have the after pics I'll post links to them in The Gallery.  And I will post my impressions here.  The buddy that is helping will be crashing here that night, and another might also come up, so we will be making use of the new setup right away.  

Might as well start calling this My Auro3D Experience, too!  Anyway, Back to the Future sounds great in Auro3D, especially the storm sounds at the end of the movie.  And the score soars!  With my wife and daughter on their annual end-of-summer trip, I'll be trying out quite a few movies upmixed to Auro3D, my go-to sound in my HT.

• Like 1

I don’t have a lot of impressions so far. I’ve  only watched the first Avengers and Deadpool so far. And it was crazy late so I fell asleep during the latter. But it was impressive. Deadpool was very much so. I went through all the calibration with the Yamaha. Looking forward to taking in more Atmos or X films. 

• Like 2