LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
JoeyN

Making a Murderer (Netflix)

I haven't seen much on the other evidence. I have seen a few things online, but this show has made me very wary of the veracity of sources in general, and the Internet is a hard place to fact check.

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they're true." - Abraham Lincoln

Interesting article and interview with the filmmakers at rollingstone.com

One crazy bit of new info

Meanwhile, Ricciardi and Demos just announced they were contacted by a juror who claims some jurors felt Avery was framed but that they voted guilty for fear of their "personal safety."

At the very least, I hope that the interest in this show generates some genuine soul-searching about the criminal justice system. No matter what you think of Avery or Dassey's guilt, these trials were both travesties.

Just saw this

"Steven Avery, subject of the Netflix series Making a Murderer, has a new attorney and in a lengthy Newsweek profile, she claims to have new suspects in the gripping case.

"We have a couple [of suspects]... I'd say there's one, leading the pack by a lot," Kathleen Zellner says. "But I don't want to scare him off, I don't want him to run." She says the men in question all knew victim Teresa Halbach.

Making a Murderer: If Steven Avery didn't kill Teresa Halbach, who did?

Zellner will also push for new forensic tests, as well as assert that Avery had ineffective counsel in Dean Strang and Jerry Buting, who failed to argue that Halbach's cell-phone records indicated she left Avery's property alive."

Brendan Dassey's conviction has been overturned!

http://m.wisn.com/news/brendan-dasseys-conviction-overturned/41178138

Brendan Dassey's conviction in the death of Teresa Halbach has been overturned.

Dassey, Steven Avery's nephew, was sentenced to life with no parole for 41 years after being convicted in 2007 of first-degree intentional homicide, second-degree sexual assault, and mutilation of a corpse in the killing of Halbach in Manitowoc County.

The ruling says the state has 90 days to appeal the federal order or Dassey must be released from prison. He is being held at Columbia Correctional Institution.

The federal judge called Dassey's lawyer, Len Kachinsky,'s "misconduct" in defending Dassey "indefensible."

Say what you will about Avery but Brendan's situation is what stuck out as the greatest miscarriage of justice in the documentary. Good for him.

More news, this time for Avery. He has a new attorney as of January:

Kathleen Zellner, the lawyer who took over Mr. Avery’s defense in January, weeks after the Netflix series was released, said she has a different person in mind who she believes killed Ms. Halbach.

Ms. Zellner said she would file a motion next week to access DNA evidence collected from the crime scene and used against Mr. Avery. She plans to order new testing, some of which was not possible during the original trial.

And they are making  "Season 2" out of this new legal move

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/19/us/steven-avery-of-making-a-murderer-eyes-freedom-after-co-defendants-conviction-is-overturned.html?_r=0

Very interesting developments, but I don't really agree with her statement at the end of the article:

"No guilty person would ever allow such extensive testing to be done," Zellner said about Avery’s excitement at the developments in his case. "The fact that Mr. Avery has agreed to all this testing is further proof he’s actually innocent of these crimes."

He's already in jail for the rest of his life, were he guilty he'd have nothing to lose, except perhaps in the court of public opinion.

In the end, I hope this establishes what happened with more certainty.

If they test and it proves he is guilty , he has no appeals or recourse after that. It's end game for him. It's a big deal either way.

Yes, either way it is a big deal. Which is why I don't buy the argument that a guilty person would never allow this testing. It's certainly his last best chance at changing the outcome, no matter the truth of the events.

I mean, I know why she's saying it, she's his lawyer and that's her job.

I finally got around to watching this, and I'm 3 episodes in.

I'm at the point where the two cops interrogated Brendan.  Uh, why wasn't there an attorney present during his questioning?  And that interrogation doesn't feel right.  I'm sure some internet digging will help, but man this feels bizarre.

Supposedly his mother said it was ok for them to question.the entire thing is bullshit.

16 hours ago, Dimness said:

I finally got around to watching this, and I'm 3 episodes in.

I'm at the point where the two cops interrogated Brendan.  Uh, why wasn't there an attorney present during his questioning?  And that interrogation doesn't feel right.  I'm sure some internet digging will help, but man this feels bizarre.

Just wait.