LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
dogbert

Entry Level 1080p Projectors?

Wife wants to 'tidy up' the media room after seeing what her friends have done, and that involves mounting it - this current 720p one I'm using has been utterly reliable for the six or so years I've been using it (and it wasn't new when I got it, thanks Brandon H for a killer projector) but I don't want to go to the hassle of mounting it as it's big & bulky, and only 720p.

So what's the state of the market these days for those of us on a budget? 1080p is a must. Don't care about 3D. Will be used for gaming (PS3/360/PC via steamlink) & movies. Sub $1000 price is important, as is decent bulb life - I've been thoroughly spoiled by my current one.

I see the Optoma HD141X get lots of positive reviews & is relatively dirt cheap at $550, but appears to be somewhat limited in configuration control, and some folk complain of rainbows with it. The BenQ W1070 is another contender in the sub $900 range.

What should I be looking out for in this price range? Any other models I should take a look at?

Glad to hear that the projector will enjoy a good retirement after a long and full service life.

You might look at the BenQ HT1075 -- it replaced the W1070 and gets good reviews, plus it has vertical lens shift -- a nice plus in the price range that makes setup a lot easier. Although it still might be subject to rainbows as it's a DLP projector.

What about the Epson Home Cinema 2040.

The Epson looks interesting - LCD, dirt cheap replacement bulbs ($79!), two year warranty, and very low lag for the price range. Only gotcha is its weird image offset which makes it harder to position... Hmmm. Taking a look at the others on ProjectorCentral.

I've got the Optoma HD26 and noticed the rainbows initially but not anymore. Paid $649 when I bought it. Wife likes it too. Use it for games and 3d movies

FWIW, I had an Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 1080 at our old place before I had to give up the theater room when we moved. Razor-sharp, bright image and ran like a champ for eight years-plus. Changed the bulb once and the filter maybe three times. I can only imagine their stuff has gotten better.

The Epson looks interesting - LCD, dirt cheap replacement bulbs ($79!), two year warranty, and very low lag for the price range. Only gotcha is its weird image offset which makes it harder to position... Hmmm. Taking a look at the others on ProjectorCentral.

A friend of mine has the next model up and it's beautiful in his HT.  

The more I read about the Epson 2040/2045, the more interested I am. Placement's likely the only gotcha. Now, just waiting for funding approval, likely end of month. Might cost me new recliners/couch downstairs lol.

• Like 1

The more I read about the Epson 2040/2045, the more interested I am. Placement's likely the only gotcha. Now, just waiting for funding approval, likely end of month. Might cost me new recliners/couch downstairs lol.

I just made the new TV for new couch deal with the wife.  I had to cave and let her get her couch first but new TV coming soon.

I really like the features of the Epson 2040/2045, but the more I research, the more I worry it won't work in my room layout. I have a 89 inch screen, and running the numbers/distances through Epson's online calculator, it looks like the projector would need to be mounted relatively close to the screen with a relatively tall projector mount - throw distance of 8 feet, mounted 2'2" from the ceiling. The room's 13'6" wide, so that's pretty far from the back of the room.

Ugh.

Epson 2045 got returned today. Loved the picture even out if the box but the weird placement it requires was just too funky for our room.

Back to the drawing board - not sure if the Benq 1070 etc will work position wise going by their calculator.

This stuff is hard.

I'm pretty happy with my entry-level Optoma. I think I have the same as AlbertA's HD131X. Actually, I''m very happy with it. No vertical or horizontal shift meant that it was a pain to position precisely. But that's my only complaint.

I know there are things I could obsess over, but honestly? For me, a 90% solution is better than a 100% solution that cost 4 times as much. Or more.

• Like 1

So it turns out the calculators showing the positioning of the BenQ HT2050 are wrong & the manual (and real life owners) have it positioned slightly above the top of the screen, which is ideal. So that's back in the running.

Did you guys hang the projectors yourself?  I can't find a single video showing the installation of the mounting bracket to the ceiling, only attaching the projector to the bracket, which is the easy part.  

If you hired a pro, what did it run ya?

Carlos.

Did you guys hang the projectors yourself?  I can't find a single video showing the installation of the mounting bracket to the ceiling, only attaching the projector to the bracket, which is the easy part.  

If you hired a pro, what did it run ya?

I did it myself (with the help of 1) my dad in the old house I was in and 2) a friend in our current house).  Old house had these wood beams, so I just drilled straight into those.  New house was a bit trickier...had to find the studs and they were too narrow for the entire base of the mount.  I wound up cutting a wood block big enough for the surface area of the mount, drilling some really long screws up through the block and deep into the stud, and then drilling the mount into the wood block.  If that makes sense.

Yep, that makes total sense.  If I'm reading you right, you did this because you didn't have access to do that from the top down (ie the attic or subfloor above), right?  I'm in the same boat because my furnace is siting in my attic directly above my mount point. So you're saying you had to screw in at an angle to get the wood block attached to the stud?

I think my solution will be to get a 1/2" plywood 18 x 10-ish" board, to span two studs from the inside of the room, mount the projector in the middle of that board, and paint the board to match the ceiling. 

Carlos.

Yep, that makes total sense.  If I'm reading you right, you did this because you didn't have access to do that from the top down (ie the attic or subfloor above), right?  I'm in the same boat because my furnace is siting in my attic directly above my mount point. So you're saying you had to screw in at an angle to get the wood block attached to the stud?

I think my solution will be to get a 1/2" plywood 18 x 10-ish" board, to span two studs from the inside of the room, mount the projector in the middle of that board, and paint the board to match the ceiling. 

Yeah, so I live in a tri-level, the "basement" central room being my media room, so right above that room is a bit of sheetrock, a small gap, and then a nice wood floor in my office I had to be careful to not go up too far into.  I didn't go at an angle though, I just went straight up into a single stud but basically artificially expanded it with the wood block (which I also painted).  But yes, the concept is exactly the same as what you are talking about.  The projector plus mount is probably only 30-40 pounds, but I made sure it could handle at least double that.  I'm pretty sure I could have hung from it with my hands, but I didn't try.  :)

BenQ HT2050 bought. Whelp. 

[added]

And it has a lone, solitary, dust bubble that I can't unsee when it's black. Back it goes for a replacement unit at Frys. Totally happy with the picture/positioning otherwise, and I'm sure it'll get wife approval too. First game played on it was RezHD of course, to carry on the tradition from my first projector.

And back to frys again I go; no accessories in this sealed box. Looks like I'll get the missing pieces from the one I returned (which they were getting ready to put out out for sale as open box...). Oh, Frys...