LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Star Trek Discovery - New TV show coming 2017

5 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

What did your kids make of V? As a concept I never actually hated V, it just suffers from limp execution.

Not gonna lie, even I enjoyed V more than I care to admit as I don't want to lose my Star Trek Cred Card As for the kids, if it involves Spock, they are down.  After being inconsolable after Khan, they were into Search for Spock whole hog.  So, V, being another Vulcan-centric movie made it easy to invest.  I enjoyed how Luckinbill went all in in the manner of classic Star Trek over-sentimental and exaggerated acting.  Classic, I tell you!  It's more of a long-form episode, but by no means is V without merit.

Plummer in VI is life.

And to update: The kids responded with the appropriate amount of admiration and enjoyment after watching VI. "It's my new favorite movie!" #selfhighfive

Here's a cool video discussing Discovery, with explanations of this mess and such.

Regarding Discovery, I'll probably not make it to episode 3 as I'm just not motivated to see episode 2 all that much.  And I'm just not a fan Martin-Green's acting.  She paints with a big fat clumsy brush, and while that might work with exploitive dreck like Walking Dead, it doesn't service Star Trek all that well.  To be fair, I haven't seen a single minute of Enterprise, so maybe that's the new standard, but to me, Star Trek is more about easily digestible, yet provocative storytelling that doesn't rip at scars, just pointing a light at them.  Sonequa only rips.

• Like 1

Enterprise S3 and S4 were very enjoyable for the most part. S1 /2 had some really good episodes, but a lot of dull ones as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rainmaykr said:

Not gonna lie, even I enjoyed V more than I care to admit as I don't want to lose my Star Trek Cred Card As for the kids, if it involves Spock, they are down.  After being inconsolable after Khan, they were into Search for Spock whole hog.  So, V, being another Vulcan-centric movie made it easy to invest.  I enjoyed how Luckinbill went all in in the manner of classic Star Trek over-sentimental and exaggerated acting.  Classic, I tell you!  It's more of a long-form episode, but by no means is V without merit.

I think that's why I kind of like it. The Klingon involvement always felt like a distraction, but the core concept is solid in my opinion. I just love the idea of an alien entity masquerading as God, and Kirk's "excuse me. WHAT does God, NEED.... with a starship" is a deliciously great Shatner moment. Goldsmith's score is  (of course) wonderful too. Fuck it. I'd buy a good Ultra HD disc of V too. 

The big problem with Discovery I fear is that with Fuller fired it put is squarely in the hands of Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman, neither of whom have a great history of exceptional work. I'll watch the third episode, and probably the fourth, but whether I go any further remains to be seen. There's too much stuff to watch these days so it really needs to prove itself quite quickly. 

Guess the good old days of exploring instead of warring are a reflection of the times but I miss vintage star trekking.

Weird mix of television and JJ Abrams Trek and making your main character human in appearance and Vulcan in demeanour did the opening episodes no favours either. 

The two episodes were gorgeous, movie level stuff visually. Now if only the story telling can set a course back to the morality plays of the original.  I'll keep watching but it's more out of fan loyalty than fervour so far...

On 9/29/2017 at 4:18 PM, OldDarth said:

Guess the good old days of exploring instead of warring are a reflection of the times but I miss vintage star trekking.

TOS, set in the context of an unpopular foreign war and the domestic fight for civil rights, would like to have a word with you.  :)

Maybe the difference is we weren't beaten over the head with on-the-nose commentary.  When we were getting preached to, and that was often, it wasn't as obvious and hamfisted.  Preached to instead of preached at?

Who knows.  Discovery doesn't seem worth the effort to figure out why it rings hollow or falls flat with me.  But commenting on a thread about Discovery, oh I got time for that!

I'll give it 2 more episodes to see if it changes, but my goodness, why am I being punished for not learning how to speak Klingon? Lo-o-ong scene after scene of actors laborious reading Klingon lines is not that fun to me.

Darth I think you need to watch the original series again. Trek has always been about social commentary. 

Hmmm, as someone who is of a vintage to have the original series in its first airing, I'm puzzled how my comment could be misconstrued.

Star Trek has always been about social commentary but my tastes run to the original series where it's done under the guise of exploration, not Star Wars wannabe space battles. 

• Like 1

Saw the third episode and while it felt somewhat more Trek, the show is populated with unlikeable characters with the exception of Saru. And the Lt. Exposition scene on the shuttle was a horrid tell don't show scene.

Agree - I’ve watched through ep3 now and it’s not working for me so far. It feels like Abrams Trek and something like

the admiral from ST: Into Darkness was made into a weekly recurring character (the Captain). I don’t like all the internal-to-starfleet conflict either - that is one of Trek’s defining elements for me: the crew working together to solve a conflict but, this show hasn’t created anything the crew solve together; instead it’s been human/vulcan will “save the day”. Even the bio-plot driving ep3 is orchestrated by the Captain to recruit her.

Very disappointed so far...

I enjoyed episode 3 a lot more. The cast was more enjoyable and mysteries have me intrigued. So what are the odds Section 31 are behind whatever Discovery is doing?

The primary issue with this show is that as it progresses its obvious this whole thing would have worked far better had they just presented Discovery as a total Trek reboot outside of both the Prime and Kelvin universes. Right now, it really doesn't fit into either and though the show runners are saying "Bare with us.." on that front, there's technology on display here that makes it difficult to accept it as a predecessor to all of the Trek we have seen before the JJ movies, etc. A Spore drive? Really? Where has that been all of these years? Though I suppose you could argue that the technology was abandoned for the reasons revealed in this episode but then that presents a problem considering the ship was designed around it, no? 

Though maybe that's why I'm having an easier time of getting into the show? After episode 3, I decided to just watch it as a reboot and leave it there until I'm presented with evidence to the contrary. In that regard, the last two episodes have been quite solid. Tonights probably felt the most "Trek" in terms of the exploration of the navigation creature and the probable moral conundrum it will present as they use it to travel (though its all very Dune isn't it?). 

The security chief dying might have gone over a bit better had she not been such a bonehead. Once the thing eviscerated her, all I could think was "Good." cause she was grating up until to that point. I like Tilly. She's cute and her character will hopefully break out of her uncomfortable shell as the episodes continue. I love Doug Jones as Saru. Easily the best character on the show thus far.

I don't know, maybe I'm blinded by my want for new Trek but I don't hate this show at all. I'm not head over heels in love with it, but I'm more than willing to give it time to continue to win my viewership.

9 hours ago, Romier S said:

I'm not head over heels in love with it, but I'm more than willing to give it time to continue to win my viewership.

That's where I am. Every episode is pretty meh with a enough nuggets that I give the show one more episode.

There are so many niggles with the timeline I'm actually not bothered by the inconsistencies anymore. I'm sure there's a plan to explain the Klingons' look (maybe a bioengineered virus that "we don't discuss with outsiders"). I'm sure there's a reason why we never see the Mushroom Motor ever again. I'm sure there's a reason why they could beam from the Captain's office to another room on the ship without going to the transporter room (maybe it's that I remember my transporter rules wrong and they could always do this).

My biggest problem is not where it fits in with the rest of Star Trek, but the fact that it rarely feels like Star Trek to me.  It feels like The Expanse-lite. Where is the feeling of optimism? Even DS9 had that feel. If you want to make the Expanse-lite I'll just rewatch The Expanse and enjoy the hell out of it.

Sometimes the attempts to connect the show to the Star Trek we know feels ham-fisted and even desperate. Michael is Spock's foster sister. Okay. Not sure what that adds to the story that doesn't make the universe feel smaller. I remember the last time Spock had a surprise sibling we didn't know about, but okay.

And I like Doug Jones here even if his character looks like a piece of bacon. Or maybe that's why I like him.

On the look of the Klingons - maybe the more human look is due to the co-mingling of the species? (i.e. humans and Klingons). They are pushing the xenophobic "Remain Klingon!" portion of T'kuvma's ideology pretty hard. Even to the point where the established Klingon houses look down on VoQ for his albino appearance. My only issue there is that there's simply not enough time for that type of genetic/generational change to happen for an entire species considering this is  supposedly what? 15-20 years before Kirk?

Its ashame, too cause I think going at it from that perspective might be more interesting than a virus/mutation.

If we're going down that path though, the show runners are claiming that this series will explain how the Federation made its way to the more peaceful iteration we are used to (as opposed to war focused types like the Discovery captain). Perhaps that change is predicated on some type of weapon that the Federation uses which causes the change in appearance? The morality play there could be interesting but again - it's hard to slot that kind of event into the existing timeline! I'm pretty sure something of that magnitude would have made it into the canon by now!

The alternate explanation is that they have no plan to explain the appearance change and chalk it up to wanting to put their own spin on the production with the age old "well make-up effects simply weren't good enough to realize what Klingons should really look like in the previous shows."

Enterprise which takes place before this already explained why Klingons looked human in TOS .Before the change to more human they looked exactly like they did in TNG forward, Plus the culture was exactly the same.

Which makes the look and feel of them strange in this series any way they try to explain it.

Watching episode 4, and they expect us to believe that ship just stayed there for 6 months and no one brought them parts or supplies? :Rock:     

I really want this to be good as I like the cast, but someone get Ron Moore on the line.

It's a big fat hole, yes. 

I don't have an issue with it from a "rescuing their people" perspective. They were looked upon as a house of cast-offs/losers. The houses came together to fight a war but I never thought there was any real sincerity in their worshipping T'kuvma as the martyr Michael said he would be. To the Klingons fighting the war, they'll use his name in martyrdom to perpetuate that war, but they couldn't give less of a fuck about his followers.

The bigger leap in logic is in leaving that cloaking technology there for 6 months. That one is a bit harder to reconcile but then you could say that leaving them there for 6 months to starve them out made them that much more pliable and Kol could take said technology without much resistance from that point. Even that's a pretty risky bet.

The bigger fuck-up in logic in that scenario - how in fucks name did the Federation just let that technology sit out in that ship graveyard considering the lengths we've been shown that they'll go to to get some kind of edge in the war? That's just silly.

Yeah I posted that before the cloaking thing was mentioned. So much in the episode made no sense at all. Why would the other klingons wait, when the ship was totally disabled after the battle. They could have just taken the cloak right away . The federation just leaving intact ships makes zero sense also. Your main dilithium planet has no defenses whatsoever  or ships protecting it, and then you save it, and leave them unprotected again. I could post more, but my head hurts by all the stupidity.

That was the first legit solid STAR TREK episode thus far. Good stuff, I thought. Morality play, exploration of a sentient being, plenty of technogobbledigook, and some interplay/relationship building for the Discovery crew. It’s no “Shaka When the Walls Fell” but I feel like we’re getting closer.;)

So the ending...

mycilium leads to the creation of the mirror universe?

Nice Archer name drop, too.

Oh and not cool dropping f-bombs on Trek. We ain’t about that type of stuff and Anya was watching. Trek doesn’t need that at all.

It was a really good episode. The first one that felt like it found its complete stride (other then the F-Bomb) .As for the end, and this was something announced

they have already mentioned there will be a Mirror universe episode directed by Jonathon Frakes. As for the tech creating it, that would change a lot already explained in other shows. I do wonder if that device that smiley used on DS9, actually put the spores in transporter stream to crossover

9 hours ago, JoeyN said:

Show renewed for S2

But it was supposed to be dead in favor of a The Nick Meyer show, and the Internet is always right....

• Like 1