LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Star Trek Discovery - New TV show coming 2017

So no one else is watching this season? I just caught up with the first three episodes and I have to say that I'm really enjoying the heck out of it. You can tell the show runners took some of the criticisms of the first season to heart. The show just feels more "Star Trek" than it has ever felt. The second episode in particular about New Eden in particular was a wonderful microcosm of Trek-like adventurism. 

I'm really enjoying Anson Mount as Captain Pike and I like that the show is really trying to push the bridge crew more. Even if the vehicle they chose was a bit of a ham-handed forced introduction for Pike. Still, having these folks actually be part of away missions and giving them enough moments for the audience to get to know them is a big step forward. 

I'm a little more iffy on the overarching Red Angel macro-story but I'm willing to give it time to develop. It's functioning as a good mystery right now but I'd hate for the show to push its focus almost entirely on Spock. 

There's been a lot to like thus far. They even toned down the amount of spoken Klingon and definitely softened the design of the Klingons to bring them more in line with their normal look while retaining the unique aspects they introduced in the first season (adding a narrative reason for them regrowing their hair was interesting).

I'm eager for the next episode to drop and having Georgiou in Section 31 should be fun to navigate.:)

I am waiting for the season to finish, and I’ll binge it .  Just like I am waiting for a few shows on DC streaming to finish so I can binge those at once.

I'm watching and I'm on board with all of your points, Romier. I'm worried about how this whole Spock thing will play out, but it's definitely better than Season 1 which was ... not good.

I wonder if they'll reveal why Klingons look like Klingons unless they're TOS Klingons. Then they're just swarthy fellas.

Dug the hell out of this weeks episode. The show is at its best when it’s pushing old school Trek problem solving and morality plays. There was some heavy handed writing from time to time (the Sara/Burnam scene wasn’t entirely earned but they’re trying!) but it mostly worked.

I like how they’re slowly building the macro story at least. A little progress here and there with room to explore. It seems like we’re driving towards how the Spore drive was taken out of the mythology in the next episode or two. Glad to see that explained.

I thought the universal translator taking a dump and the ensuing scenes were fun. I really hope Pike sticks around. Mount is great in the role.