LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Star Trek Discovery - New TV show coming 2017

New details

Show takes place 10 years before Kirk, bridging the gab with Enterprise

Show lead will be female, but not necessarily a Captain.

She is a Lt Commander

Series covers a event mentioned in original series but never shown. Not the Romulan War.

Section 31 could pop up.

Aaaaaand Fuller's stepping down as show runner.

Bryan Fuller is stepping back from the showrunner role of CBS’ “Star Trek: Discovery” as he juggles production responsibilities on two other series, Variety has learned exclusively.

The decision was made late last week to hand the day-to-day showrunning reins to “Star Trek” exec producers Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts as “Discovery” gears up for the start of filming next month and a May premiere date. Fuller, who will remain an executive producer, will still be involved in breaking stories, and the show will continue to follow his vision for the universe that this latest “Trek” series will inhabit.

Sources said there had been some strain between “Star Trek” producer CBS Television Studios and Fuller over the progress of production on the show, as Fuller is also juggling the final weeks of shooting and post-production duties on Starz’s upcoming drama “American Gods” and prepping a reboot of “Amazing Stories” for NBC. Fuller has penned the first two scripts for “Discovery” and has hammered out the broader story arc and mythology for the new “Trek” realm. But it became clear that he couldn’t devote the amount of time needed for “Discovery” to make its premiere date and with production scheduled to start in Toronto next month. In September, CBS pushed the “Discovery” premiere back from January in order to give the team more time to work out stories and ensure sufficient time for production of visual effects.

Sources emphasized that CBS execs have been happy with the material that Fuller has developed to date but became increasingly concerned that he had too much on his plate and there was no willingness to delay the premiere date once more. Given that “Star Trek” is one of the Eye’s crown-jewel franchises, there’s no question that CBS has a lot at stake with “Discovery.” The show’s budget is said to be approaching the $9 million per episode range.

Writer-director Akiva Goldsman is also expected to join “Discovery” in a top creative role.

tzehJ7.gif

Yeah I had a feeling this was going to happen after the first delay.

9 million an episode? If only ds9 had that budget, it was lucky if it had a million. TNG was 1.5 at the end of its run.

We should change the topic title at some point, because I feel sad every time I read it.

The transition from Fuller to Akiva is the equivalent of being told you've won a dream date with your very first teenage crush (who still looks GREAT), flown first class to her hometown, driven to her palatial mansion in a stretch limo listening to Mozart and sipping champagne, carrying up a dozen red roses to her front door in a lovely suit with a smile, only to have said door thrown open in time for you to be kicked in the balls on live TV in front of 100 million people.

Truthfully, it is so awful that I would have assumed the transition was snarky hyperbole invented by someone trying to spin me up. Replace the guy who made Hannibal (one of the most beautiful and passionately brilliant shows I've ever seen) by the guy that wrote Batman and Robin (one of the most execrable and awful films ever made).

All of that whining to say, at least, that Michelle Yeoh is a great hire. Major chops, major gravitas.

Not from the show though.

I believe it was something that composer submitted for consideration (it's been online since September).

Considering his response to the tweet, its seeming as though he got the job.

i.e. It's likely representative of what we hear when the show does materialize.

The show has apparently now been delayed with no new scheduled timeframe.

Those looking forward to Star Trek Discovery’s promised streaming debut in May will have to wait even longer. According to the The Hollywood Reporter, the premiere has been pushed back right as production is due to start and CBS finishes casting and script rewrites.

"This is an ambitious project; we will be flexible on a launch date if it's best for the show,” a CBS rep said in a statement. “We've said from the beginning it's more important to do this right than to do it fast. There is also added flexibility presenting on CBS All Access, which isn't beholden to seasonal premieres or launch windows."

The 13-episode Discovery was originally slated to premiere this month on CBS, but was pushed back to allow the producers to better “achieve a vision” fans of the franchise would appreciate. Since then, however, the series has been dogged by a slow casting process, as well as the departure of former showrunner Bryan Fuller.

Nevertheless, the series is still forging ahead. CBS Television today announced that Gotham and True Blood star James Frain has joined the cast as Sarek, the father of Spock. He’ll work alongside The Walking Dead’s Sonequa Martin-Green, who was recently cast as the series lead, as well as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon star Michelle Yeoh, who will play a Starfleet captain.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/18/14313432/star-trek-discovery-delay-cbs-all-access-no-release-date

I thought they said this took place in the original timeline. The klingons look like the reboot (they should look more human) Maybe they changed their minds.

They look like their own design in Discovery to me. Similar to the Into Darkness ones certainly, but I don't think they are the same (granted my memory of Into Darkness is hazy). 

I like that they look less human in general and they aren't Into Darkness Klingons which still looked plenty human:

maxresdefault.jpg

The reason I mention it, is enterprise took place before this series, and it showed how klingons looked close to humans in TOD.

Looking promising! Great production value.

Jeff Russo has been announced as the series composer (he did the Fargo TV series, The Night Of and What Remains of Edith Finch). Interesting choice!