LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Star Trek Discovery - New TV show coming 2017

Yep looking good. wish it was on netflix, like it is everywhere else.

Every day a new streaming service is announced for a few shows. First CBS, then DC comics,  yesterday a Stargate service, etc. 

How exactly are we supposed to watch this in the states again? A CBS streaming app? Do we need a cable sub for it to work?

3 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

How exactly are we supposed to watch this in the states again? A CBS streaming app? Do we need a cable sub for it to work?

My understanding is that it is a completely separate service that you have to pay for...  So stupid...

• Like 1

There's so few other shows I'm interested in on CBS, almost nothing. And I have subscription fatigue big time. Im actively cancelling other things I actually use.

CBS has totally overplayed their hand. Why in the hell would I pay for a service I can get free on an antenna?  My little $40 TV box can even turn into a DVR when I hook a hard drive up to it. 

Edit: and I realize that this is probably only on their bs app. But it doesn't change my thoughts. 

It's only on the app, which only has one other show.  Hopefully it fails and it goes to Netflix.

8 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Edit: and I realize that this is probably only on their bs app. But it doesn't change my thoughts. 

Yeah, as far as I know, only the premier is on broadcast CBS.

EW goes into detail about Fullers tenure/departure.

http://trekcore.com/blog/2017/07/new-ew-issue-details-bryan-fullers-discovery-departure/

Synopsis:

Fuller was essentially firedFuller wanted an Anthology series: Each year would be a different ship, story, & time period

Fuller wanted the aesthetic to be way more in line with the Original Series (it seems like he wanted something more like The Cage as opposed to what we have) 

Fuller didn't want the director they hired for the pilot.

Fuller's storyline was modified, and large chunks of it were tossed entirely

Fuller sat with CBS executives to deliver his pitch. It wasn’t just for a ‘Trek’ series but for multiple serialized anthology shows that would begin with the ‘Discovery’ prequel, journey through the eras of Captain James T. Kirk and Captain Jean-Luc Picard, and then go beyond to a time in ‘Trek’ that’s never been seen before.

God, I love this idea.

2 hours ago, Starhawk said:

God, I love this idea.

Me too. 

I do think the trailer is promising, but it remains painful whenever we're reminder Fuller is off the show.

Great start for Star Trek Discovery! Awesome to have Klingons as the villains again and to have them done right. Good pair of episodes to start the season. It’s a good mix of traditional Trek and Abrams Trek. Even though it’s set in the original timeline, the aesthetic is certainly more in line with the recent films.

Hmmm. I've mixed feelings. It's well cast (Sonequa Martin-Green is especially good) but it's lacking a sense of identity, both visually and thematically. Far more like the recent three films than I was expecting. 

I’d agree but I’m more positive in the sense that the Discovery itself hasn’t been introduced and I think that’s where the show has the opportunity to set its own identity. Visually, I’m with you on the JJ Trek look though I really like what they did with the Klingons aesthetically. I will admit that I miss the old school Bird of Prey design. The Klingon ships on display were overly generic outside of T’kuvma’s flagship.

I mean, this is classic:

klingon-bop.jpg

Im down for modernizing that design but keeping a similar design philosophy.

The production value for the show was insane though! It /looked/ like it cost a fortune.

On that subject, I should add that nothing touches the Next Gen Romulan bird of prey design wise. Loved it in my youth and I still love it today.

38-thedefector-r.jpg

Not going out of my way to see episode 2.

Relatedly, I've been making my kids watch TOS, TAS, TNG, and the movies up to Undiscovered Country and they are having a blast with them.  I'm excited for them to see Star Trek VI - it's one of my all-time favorite sci-fi movies.  If they don't fall on the floor with glee after it's over, there will be stern talkings to.

D S 9 is a must watch.

About Discovery, I have many feelings on the first two episodes. Some good, a lot bad. However as the Discovery part does not start until Episode 3 I will wait to reserve judgement. I’ll be that guy. I think a lot of my issues are because it is supposed to take place in the same timeline as all the original stuff , but makes zero sense looking at it that way . If it was in the JJ Abraham’s timeline it would make a lot more sense from story and look/style/design perspective. 

We might try some DS9, maybe it'll resonate better with them than it did with me.  Or maybe even I'll enjoy it more this time around. We're going to save some time with TNG since I plan to stop after the first Alexander episode or so (maybe just hit some high points thereafter) so there will at least be time for a season.

14 hours ago, Rainmaykr said:

Not going out of my way to see episode 2.

Relatedly, I've been making my kids watch TOS, TAS, TNG, and the movies up to Undiscovered Country and they are having a blast with them.  I'm excited for them to see Star Trek VI - it's one of my all-time favorite sci-fi movies.  If they don't fall on the floor with glee after it's over, there will be stern talkings to.

What did your kids make of V? As a concept I never actually hated V, it just suffers from limp execution.

Undiscovered Country is great. I love Plummer in that film, and Eidelman's score is terrific. Paramount need to do 4k scans of the original run of Trek movies as they're a mixed bag on Blu, especially 4 and 6. The more recent recent Khan (Director's cut) Blu is from a 4k scan and to date is the only one in the series to have been given such a treatment. Hopefully whenever they see fit to put the older films out on UHD they will re-scan them rather than upscale the dire masters used for the Blu-rays.