LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Star Trek Discovery - New TV show coming 2017

So no one else is watching this season? I just caught up with the first three episodes and I have to say that I'm really enjoying the heck out of it. You can tell the show runners took some of the criticisms of the first season to heart. The show just feels more "Star Trek" than it has ever felt. The second episode in particular about New Eden in particular was a wonderful microcosm of Trek-like adventurism. 

I'm really enjoying Anson Mount as Captain Pike and I like that the show is really trying to push the bridge crew more. Even if the vehicle they chose was a bit of a ham-handed forced introduction for Pike. Still, having these folks actually be part of away missions and giving them enough moments for the audience to get to know them is a big step forward. 

I'm a little more iffy on the overarching Red Angel macro-story but I'm willing to give it time to develop. It's functioning as a good mystery right now but I'd hate for the show to push its focus almost entirely on Spock. 

There's been a lot to like thus far. They even toned down the amount of spoken Klingon and definitely softened the design of the Klingons to bring them more in line with their normal look while retaining the unique aspects they introduced in the first season (adding a narrative reason for them regrowing their hair was interesting).

I'm eager for the next episode to drop and having Georgiou in Section 31 should be fun to navigate.:)

I am waiting for the season to finish, and I’ll binge it .  Just like I am waiting for a few shows on DC streaming to finish so I can binge those at once.

I'm watching and I'm on board with all of your points, Romier. I'm worried about how this whole Spock thing will play out, but it's definitely better than Season 1 which was ... not good.

I wonder if they'll reveal why Klingons look like Klingons unless they're TOS Klingons. Then they're just swarthy fellas.

Dug the hell out of this weeks episode. The show is at its best when it’s pushing old school Trek problem solving and morality plays. There was some heavy handed writing from time to time (the Saru/Burnam scene wasn’t entirely earned but they’re trying!) but it mostly worked.

I like how they’re slowly building the macro story at least. A little progress here and there with room to explore. It seems like we’re driving towards how the Spore drive was taken out of the mythology in the next episode or two. Glad to see that explained.

I thought the universal translator taking a dump and the ensuing scenes were fun. I really hope Pike sticks around. Mount is great in the role.

Another good episode. Star Trek and time travel shenanigans are like peanut butter and jelly but this week put together some good movement on the red angel stuff and had some nice character moments. Oh and

Talos IV!

I’m happy this is getting a third season. The show still has its issues but I fell like we’re going to get that third season jump we all expect from a Star Trek show.:)

• Like 1

Just saw the latest. This episode is what I wanted from a modern Trek show. Cheese, overacting, and a couple of fun ideas. Let the grimdark take a backseat.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Robot Monkey said:

Just saw the latest. This episode is what I wanted from a modern Trek show. Cheese, overacting, and a couple of fun ideas. Let the grimdark take a backseat.

Yep. The intro with footage from “The Cage” and how they tied it together with Vena was beautifully done. I got a good laugh at a couple of scenes. Saru justifying his allowing the fight in the mess hall by covering the sheer ridiculousness of the plot beats those characters had gone through was a good bit of self-referential deprecation. 

Michael’s “Do you think the beard is working?” was another good one thanks to its delivery in an otherwise super serious scene. It’s definitely getting to where I want it to be and its been a pleasant hour to spend every week. That was not the case in the first season.

On the grimdark front - is it me or did they considerably brighten the overall palette of the show as its progressed? Pike and Saru walking around Discovery really highlighted how much more light there is in comparison to the first season. 

I actually enjoyed last season, warts and all.  I've been looking for a show to fill this void for a while so any Star Trek has been a welcome addition to the rotation.  I agree though, I'm enjoying this season much more.  I'm worried that they're using Spock as a bit of a crutch, but it's working well enough so far for me.

You might be right about it being brighter, Romier. I think it could stand to be even brighter and definitely more colorful, but that's my preference.

And am I the only one who chuckled a little during the Harry & The Hendersons scene with Moppet Spock? Where's John Lithgow when you need him?

I like where this season is going!