LCVG
NickC

Star Wars: Episode VIII (SPOILER FREE) Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, NickC said:

International Poster, view at your own risk

Reveal hidden contents

9eftsw2q40vz.jpg

Well, that's interesting...

International Trailer, basically the trailer with some of the teaser and a few new shots.

EW Covers

ew1492_da_8723648732608.jpg&w=1100&q=85

ew1492_mc_3327493740209.jpg&w=1100&q=85

ew1492_fr_937290237498.jpg&w=1100&q=85

ew1492_ol_9o879234329869487.jpg&w=1100&q

http://ew.com/movies/2017/11/19/star-wars-the-last-jedi-ew-cover/

Some new photos

000269253hr.jpg?w=669

000269250hr.jpg?w=669

000269248hr.jpg?w=669

000269245hr.jpg?w=669

000269252lr.jpg?w=669

Snoke-768x428.jpg

http://ew.com/movies/star-wars-the-last-jedi-new-photos/the-last-jedi-a-new-look

And a story on Kylo and Rey

After the events of The Force Awakens, and his choice to end one of the most beloved figures in George Lucas’ universe, Kylo is still trying to figure out if he did was the right thing – if only for himself.

“From his perspective, what he’s done is hopeful,” Driver says. “If anything he has justice. I think he’s surprised by how he would feel after Han Solo. He’s hoping for hope. He’s hoping for clarity.”

Is redemption possible?

“There’s a big part of the story yet to be written and not by me,” says Johnson, who will hand the trilogy back to The Force Awakens filmmaker J.J. Abrams for 2019’s Episode IX. “But I don’t think it’s very interesting if the whole story is just ‘Will Kylo get his comeuppance?’ He’s a more complicated character than that and I think he deserves a more complicated story than that. I don’t see the point of trying to get behind his mask and learn more about him if all we’re going to learn is ‘Yeah, he’s just an evil bad guy that needs to be killed.’”

“This is very much about Rey trying to figure out how she fits into all this, much like any of us as we’re growing up, as we’re transitioning from childhood into adulthood,” Johnson says. “You’re going meet people who you think are going help who don’t. And help is also going come from unexpected places.”

That unexpected place is Kylo Ren, and the situation she finds herself in – alone, unappreciated, is similar to where Ben Solo found himself when broke from his Uncle Luke and followed the Knights of Ren down a darker path.

Supreme Leader Snoke, the enigmatic ruler of the First Order, detected the power in him and saw someone who could be swayed. But the young man’s shaky resolve means he could also be swayed back.

“Anybody that’s committed to anything, at a certain point in their life … you kind of constantly question why you got into it in the first place,” Driver says.

Rey and Kylo Ren are reaching toward each other in combat, but each one could also end up pulling the other to his or her side.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/11/19/star-wars-kylo-ren-vs-rey-the-last-jedi/

When was the commentary track added for the TFA? The 3D release? Hopefully we get a UHD version of the TFA sometime in 2018.

This is promising for the first release of TLJ.

The TFA commentary was done earlier last year I believe. I think scheduling was the issue preventing it from being recorded in 2015.

It’s usually practice for commentaries planned for a disc’s first release to be recorded before a movie even hits cinemas, so yes this bodes well for Disney getting it right the first time with TLJ (Johnson has always been a big commentary fan too. He made his own for people to listen to on an iPod when Looper hit cinemas). Having said that, allegedly Gareth Edwards did a Rogue One commentary last year and that has not yet materialised.

Who knows when we’ll get TFA’s UHD. They didn’t seem to be interested in getting Guardians vol1 out alongside the  disc of sequel, or the earlier Cars and Pirates movies out alongside their latest sequels. Star Wars is a different beast of course. If they were that keen to get it out we’d surely be getting it for Christmas though so I don’t think they’re in a hurry.

Hopefully the TLJ will get a UHD release since Guardians Vol 2 and Spider-man Homecoming did. I haven't been following sales of those titles, but I believe they were doing well in the UHD format.

I'd say Last Jedi definitely will get a disc. 

Hopefully hardware sales will have been good over the holiday season and we'll see more catalogue stuff (from all the studios) next year. 

Since we are just about two weeks away from release, curious what everyone's thoughts on Rey's parentage are? Is she part of the Skywalker bloodline or not? If she is a Skywalker, Luke or Leia?

I'm leaning towards Skywalker, and I'll go with Leia.

I've honestly given it no thought. I'd quite like her to be unrelated to any of the existing characters to be honest, but wouldn't be upset if she was (there'd be logic to continuing the lineage, so it's no bother).

I was very sad that Johnson revealed:

Spoiler

...that Lando is not in TLJ. 

I think we sensed that would be the case anyway, and I suppose I am glad to have the answer ahead of seeing it to avoid disappointment in the cinema, but still. Where's the love, damn it?

I've still managed to successfully avoid the trailer and tv spots. I've even sped past the images in this thread so have not even had a good look at those. It's been surprisingly easy, though I suspect that it does help that I do not plug myself into following anything movie and nerd related on social media. 

Yeah, I was disappointed by that as well, maybe they can make it work for 9.

There's been very little revealed in the TV spots, maybe 3 or 4 had interesting lines so far, it's mostly been shots from the second trailer, they've done a great job keeping things secret, I expect that to change in about 9 days though, once next weekend hits i'll be avoiding my normal social media channels for information.

I don't watch live TV so avoiding TV spots is easy, and I'm not scheduled to see any blockbuster movies until Star Wars itself so I can easily avoid the trailer in cinemas. I'm sure it will leak a few days early, but I am glad the score release is the 15th so I will hear it in the movie first like last time. The album is a crammed 77 mins (20, as yet unnamed thankfully, tracks). Looks as if  we'll be waiting longer for a decent vinyl release as with The Force Awakens.

Speaking of Force Awakens, it has been added to Netflix UK which is pleasing as I got rid of the Blu a while ago in anticipation of a UHD and didn't think I'd have a source to revisit it again before the 14th.

I remember with TFA the whole album leaked before the movie came out, I think they've learned from TPM not to put significant spoilers into track names, but glad they haven't released them yet, I assume they will leak though. Looking forward to what Williams does with the score in this film.

Training Featurette, Don't watch if you are avoiding all content since the second trailer. 

Chinese trailer with our first look at Canto Bight, it's a mix of TFA and the second TLJ trailer with some new shots.

First cut was over three hours

Deleted scenes on the Blu-Ray

“A lot of really good stuff came out in the edit. I actually just reviewed the deleted scenes we’re gonna have on the Blu-ray. There’s a bunch of—some of my favorite scenes ended up having to come out just structurally… There’s a lot of really substantial, really good scenes. There’s a couple whole sequences actually that we lifted out. It’s weirdly—and this always happens—it’s like your babies you have to kill. It’s some of my favorite stuff from the movie.”

No surprise, but no extended cut on the Blu-Ray

“I’m really not into [releasing an extended cut]. I feel like the cut is what it is because I feel like it’s the best version of the movie, so the ‘director’s cut’ is the movie that’s going out in theaters. All the deleted scenes, no matter how much I love them, they came out for a reason and it’s all for the greater good of the movie itself. You can watch the deleted scenes on their own, I think that’s the way to watch them, but the movie is definitely the best version of the movie I think.”

ONE WEEK!

Feels rather surreal like TFA all over again. The chance to finally see Luke Skywalker in a Star Wars movie after so many years, another new John Williams Star Wars score.... It’s still crazy to me that this even happened. 

Social Media reactions are allowed after 12:30AM EST Sunday. Review embargo ends Tuesday 12:00PM EST.

• Like 1