LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
rustyjaw

Music Production (Tools and Techniques)

wonders into thread and looks around

Sorry to intrude into the thread with a noob question, but I figure this was the appropriate spot.  Does anybody here have experience with using Deoxit to clean stereo equipment?

I've used it (and similar things) for decades, especially on analog equipment (mixers, synths, amps, receivers, etc.).

Just make sure you let it dry out overnight.

That’s actually useful for me as I’ve noticed some oxidation forming on some trs plugs I’ve had for years. 

Just be smart - unplug, de-static, remove dials and unscrew pots to make sure you're getting in there. Blow compressed air first. Do a couple rounds over a weekend and be patient.

The last 6 weeks have been an immensely stressful period of time, between a close friend having a stroke and losing his home (within a week), to my dad having an attack of Guillain Barre syndrome and being left unable to walk at first. Thankfully both are doing pretty well, my dad just returned home last friday, for the first time since mid-sept and he can walk under his own power. My friend, having no home, is staying with me for now while he recovers and gets back on his feet. I say all this partly to vent, but also as a background to this particular patch, which I started in the middle of all of this...about  a month ago. The modular has provided a much-needed distraction and creative outlet in between work and hospital visits and caretaking. At times, I've quite felt like I was retreating into the synth for some much-needed emotional rejuvenation.

This one starts out meek and gentle and ends up almost roaring. The bass in particular was something I worked on for a while, in fact I switch oscillators to get the kind of bass I was after. I may have mixed the bass in too strong, so I may end up doing another recording (without video).

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about that....

Nice jam - you got a nice melody going there. The bass almost sounds like a BWAAAAH sound on trailers :)

4 hours ago, AlbertA said:

Sorry to hear about that....

Nice jam - you got a nice melody going there. The bass almost sounds like a BWAAAAH sound on trailers :)

Thanks! Yeah, midway through this I had been using a different oscillator for the bass, and I couldn't quite get the fullness that I wanted. On one of my regular Craigslist module searches, I noticed someone selling his "Hertz Donut" - an oscillator I've wanted for quite some time. It was a great price, so I got it, installed it and after a few hours of fiddling I got the bass tone I was looking for. (in reality, the oscillator is only partly responsible, the filter also plays a big role in the final sound)

The Hertz Donut is my first "complex oscillator," which is actually comprised of two oscillators. Technically they are independent and can be used as separate sound sources, but the intention is to use one to modulate the other (this is the 'complex' part). Cross modulating is a source of rich timbres, but can also get wildly out of control and result in all sorts of squelchy noise (which can be great for percussive sounds). The HD also has a built-in waveshaper and the ability to reroute the modulation to various destinations. In this patch, I'm actually using both the HD oscillators as sound sources AND also using one to modulate the other.

It's funny, on headphones the bass is pretty overpowering, but on monitors it sounds more balanced. I'm going to have to tweak it to find a happy medium.

On 11/1/2017 at 7:52 AM, Dimness said:

You should score movie tracks.

Edit:  I'm subscriber #160!!!

Hah, thanks man. Perhaps some day I'll score something. At this point, I'm happy to pull musicc I can enjoy out of the modular.

Hi, just me again. I got a new module recently, my first percussion-specific module. It's known for the ability to make a huge amount of percussive sounds, many of them very aggro and abrasive, but my hope was that I could find some sweet spots within it's huge repertoire of sounds. But, as often happens with modular synthesis, it was an unexpected pairing with another module that kind of blew my mind. I took the abrasive metallic output and fed it into a resonator module and out sprang these gorgeous gamelan-like chimes. If i tweaked the percussion module's parameters, the sound would mutate into various shapes. That single pairing inspired this patch, which grew up around that sound.

Edit: if you're curious what it sounds like by itself, check out this guy's demo, it's off the hook:

7 minutes ago, rustyjaw said:

Hi, just me again. I got a new module recently, my first percussion-specific module. It's known for the ability to make a huge amount of percussive sounds, many of them very aggro and abrasive, but my hope was that I could find some sweet spots within it's huge repertoire of sounds. But, as often happens with modular synthesis, it was an unexpected pairing with another module that kind of blew my mind. I took the abrasive metallic output and fed it into a resonator module and out sprang these gorgeous gamelan-like chimes. If i tweaked the percussion module's parameters, the sound would mutate into various shapes. That single pairing inspired this patch, which grew up around that sound.

OK, it's 12:30am here and that's JUST what I needed to listen to to relax. That's truly wonderful, Ed. There's no end to your talents.

On 11/13/2017 at 4:34 PM, Angry the Clown said:

OK, it's 12:30am here and that's JUST what I needed to listen to to relax. That's truly wonderful, Ed. There's no end to your talents.

Wow, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks a lot.