LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
rustyjaw

Music Production (Tools and Techniques)

An accomplishment as disturbing as it is hilarious. I'm glad they showed a little bit of the 'making of' near the end.

Saw a video of a guy playing this wicked version Careless Whisper on an acoustic guitar and was struck at how such a gifted person could spend so much time, blood, tears, and talent and come away with Careless Whisper on acoustic guitar.  This is that.  Humans are amazing things.

EDIT: Found it.

It's the best thing Rick Astley has done in 30 years.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2018 at 3:03 PM, Rainmaykr said:

Congrats, Ed.  Looking forward to hearing what you do with it!

So I've decided what to put on top of the 1960 cab and it arrived today.  Sweetwater made me a deal and pretty much strong-armed me into it.  I'm the victim here.

20180131_122905.jpg?dl=0

Marshall JTM 45

Noooice! That's the JTM45 re-issue right? Nice bluesy amp.

On 2/14/2018 at 11:29 AM, Rainmaykr said:

Saw a video of a guy playing this wicked version Careless Whisper on an acoustic guitar and was struck at how such a gifted person could spend so much time, blood, tears, and talent and come away with Careless Whisper on acoustic guitar.  This is that.  Humans are amazing things.

EDIT: Found it.

It's the best thing Rick Astley has done in 30 years.

So young and talented... damn. Reminds me on Jon Gomm:

Magneto showed up yesterday, and boy does it mean business. I'd seen plenty of photos and videos of it, while waiting for it to ship...but nothing prepared me for the sheer bulk of this beast:

magnetoside.jpg

This thing has some serious CPU power behind it, which is a big part of the reason it emulates analog tape so well.

I just patched it for the first time this morning and it's glorious.

• Like 1

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

6M3A9778-Edit.jpg?dl=0

6M3A9768-Edit.jpg?dl=0

6M3A9779-Edit.jpg?dl=0

6M3A9781-Edit-2.jpg?dl=0

Still need many more sound panels on the walls, but the room is pretty much done.

• Like 1

Here is my first patch with Magneto as a centerpiece. It's a really inspiring bit of technology. The first two sounds (the plucked sound, and then the pads that follow just before the 1 min mark) are both running through Magneto.

• Like 2

Love it.

Relatedly, I was out in Los Angeles last week, went up to Thousand Oaks and dropped by the mothership.

20180220_155836.jpg?dl=0

This is the only thing in front of the building that notifies you who the occupant is. When you walk in you're greeted by a dude who pops up from the nearest cubicle, obviously not expecting anybody to come in.  I asked him if they had a gift shop, they didn't.  I then asked if I could play with a prototype, I couldn't.

But Pete Celi was walking around in the background so that was cool.

So that's the famous Rainmakyr!

I wouldn't have known who Pete Celi is until recently watching him demo Magneto over and over. Ever time I see him I think Heisenberg.

Found this nice article on Pitchfork about the YouTube micro-genre of Modular synth videos

"Modular Synthesizer Videos Are the YouTube Rabbit Hole You Won’t Want to Leave"

I have to say that YouTube was a big factor in my spiraling modular obsession, and I continue to plumb it regularly to see what folks are doing with their systems. As the author notes, the videos serve not only as bedroom performances, but also tutorials and general inspiration.

This passage really resonated with me:

To make music on a modular is to ask questions like, What does this knob do? What happens when I plug these two units together? And how do I get sound out of this thing, anyway?

As someone who suffers from a near-continuous stream of pessimistic self-feedback which has killed off many a creative endeavour, modular seems to have stuck with me in large part due to the basic curiosity it invites. I can't tell you the number of times I've felt not only uninspired, but genuinely convinced that I'll never create another piece of music on the modular...only to find myself drawn back in, almost unwittingly, by a very simple question that starts with "I wonder what would happen if..."

I know I come here and post things I've done, but almost every one of those were preceded by feelings of defeat and even despair due to self-doubt. It might seem both a little silly and also cliché, but it's very real. I have gotten to know this cycle well enough to understand that it's just part of my psyche, but even with that knowledge, there's a little bit of me each time that wonders if this time I really won't find my way back.

What I've found is that I can forget about the fear if I let curiosity drive the bus.

It's an unfortunate commonality with many gifted creatives such as yourself.  It has to be difficult to reconcile so many artistic motivations with the social response side of creation.  I mean, just because you have a lot of yourself to offer doesn't mean you're equipped to deal with others.  I imagine it's this imbalance that leads to so many great artists going bonkers.  I bet it's a pressure many never fully develop the tools to deal with in a healthy way, and I'd bet further that if you're not lucky enough to become numb to the social aspect of putting yourself "out there" you're instead destined to become a tragedy in one way or another.  It's no secret that you, Ed, have a beautiful soul and the means to express it in many different ways.  I hope you find a way to enjoy sharing your gifts at least as much as we enjoy what you do share.

Wait, are you just talking about general self-doubt as to self-perceived quality of your work product unrelated to what others think?  In that case, what's that over there?! /fadebackintobushes

Well thanks for the very kind words. I should say I don't live in a constant state of despair, I perhaps oversold that, but it is a persistent portion of the cycle I go through. How intense it gets seems to be a factor of many other things in life, in addition to the creative stuff. But, at the same time, there is an upward swing to the cycle too, when things just click, the sounds are sweet and bring a lot of joy. In between those lows and highs is a land of vague dissatisfaction and some fear that I've peaked, and will never achieve a satisfying work again. As I alluded to in my previous post, for me, the key to shirt-circuiting that fear is to return to a basic curiosity regarding the instrument...a concrete question "what if I hooked up X to Y in this way"

It's more about self-doubt. That said, I do find pleasure in pieces that I pursue to completion, and deep frustration at one's that don't come together. As far as praise from others, I can't say I don't enjoy it...although ironically, I often discount it as simply empty flattery (especially if it's from friends or acquaintances). Yes, I'm aware that's fairly ridiculous. I want people to enjoy my music, but at the same time, I know that I'm not exactly aiming for popular music.

On 2/25/2018 at 12:53 PM, rustyjaw said:

Here is my first patch with Magneto as a centerpiece. It's a really inspiring bit of technology. The first two sounds (the plucked sound, and then the pads that follow just before the 1 min mark) are both running through Magneto.

Nicely done, Ed.  Very pleasant listen.  That modular stuff looks so daunting.  :)  One of the artists I follow on Soundcloud just posted a video of him using some type of modular setup.  Thought you might enjoy it.

On 3/4/2018 at 9:21 AM, Cyberwoo said:

Nicely done, Ed.  Very pleasant listen.  That modular stuff looks so daunting.  :)  One of the artists I follow on Soundcloud just posted a video of him using some type of modular setup.  Thought you might enjoy it.

That's a nice track, pretty glossy production. I find myself more of a fan of lo-fi, earthier ambient these days. I'm curious about the integration of the external gear to the modular. The Deep Mind synth and Digitakt drum sampler are serious pieces of kit. It's funny to go back to using a 'normal' synth after using modular exclusively for a while, modular forces you to invent solutions to things a pre-wired synth can do without any effort. The Deep Mind 12 for example, has 12 matched oscillators in it, so playing a chord is as simple as hitting multiple keys. On a modular? Well first you need something that can spit out different (but ideally related) notes simultaneously, then you need to tune the oscillators you plan to use. Then you need something to trigger the start of the sound, to open a VCA to let the sound through, and then to close the sound back off when the 'key' is released. And you need one of each of those things for each note you want to play...needless to say, chords on a modular are a complex achievement.

And that's not even including filtering or effects. Which a pre-wired synth would also have built in.

But even with all of the limitations, there is nothing quite as thrilling as building your songs from the ground up using the basic elements that modular gives you access to. Every patch is a little bit of a journey into the unknown. As I noted before, for me it often starts with a simple curiosity in the form of "I wonder what happens if I connect this to that..." and from there it's a very organic process of discovery and creation in equal measure.

I patched this last week during the final roaring rains of winter. Conceptually simple, layers of 3-step patterns that subtly mutate and evolve.

Decided to figure out how to do some light leak effects with the video to add some color.