LCVG
Angry the Clown

Nintendo Switch discussion thread (It's out. It's good. Even the chump who started this thread finally bought one. Deal with it.)

REVEAL TRAILER FROM 20TH OCT 2016:

*21st of April 2016 ramblings*

So E3 is getting closer, rumours continue to fly about the Nintendo NX specs and software plans, but outside of the controller fakes we're all a little reserved in talking about it all. Once bitten, twice shy perhaps, or for many as far as Nintendo are concerned, thrice bitten. I wan't to be excited for the NX, so a hell of a lot hangs on its performance capabilities and software lineup, but would that be all it takes to get everyone's interest? 

Even though I sold my Wii U I do feel it (eventually) was able to boast an appealing library of exclusive software, but naturally we know things need to be better with the next system since the U's software rollout was so painfully slow. The latest claims are of radical changes within Nintendo to ensure the strongest and most consistent line up of first-party title support for the NX throughout its lifespan, allegedly the most any Nintendo console will have since in its history. It certainly sounds nice, but what is our belief in Nintendo being able to deliver?

Many here are parents. Are those of you with children getting enough experiences to share with them from the PC, PS4 and XB1 now, or is there still a distinct void that Nintendo could so perfectly fill if they actually got their act together?

Regardless of having kids or not, what's it going to take to capture interest? If the NX is announced with a decent spec, a good price, great launch lineup and some major third party cross-platform launch window titles, is that enough, or are many of us destined to always look at a Nintendo console launch with caution and an expectation for third party (and consequently retail) support to fall away quickly?

what's it going to take to capture interest? If the NX is announced with a decent spec, a good price, great launch lineup and some major third party cross-platform launch window titles, is that enough

Nope.

So it's on a par with a PS4 or Xbone; what's going to make you decide to buy a third party game on there vs the existing platform you own? It's all about the gimmick. What's the gimmick? What's the hook that Nintendo can use to make it stand apart?

I don't trust Nintendo to ship a system without a gimmick any more.

• Like 2

I bet I get one. :)

The software exclusives have been slowly decaying, but when the first party stuff nails it, it nails it. I rarely enjoy any other company's first party offerings like Nintendo stuff.

It's not quite Stockhomn syndrome, I get they do so much dumb crap, but I like what I like.

Tiny discs and wireless controllers were completely awesome, and my favourite Nintendo platform ever by a mile (though admittedly I never had a NES or SNES at the time). How often people forget what a monumental step forward the Wavebird was.

Joypads you could wave about were a massive financial success, but I never really got on with them very well.

A joypad that was also a rapidly outdated tablet inspired so little excitement that I never got a Wii U in the first place.

Though if the gimmick is that it's effectively an iPad with joysticks that plays Gamecube games (and specifically the original and best Super Monkey Ball) on the move, that rumour suggests it might actually be, then I'm liable to go crazy.

Are we THAT positive the NX will revolve around a gimmick? What if, given Nintendo's gravitation towards mobile media and apparent want to finally understand how the internet and connected networks work, they recognise that those likely to shell out $300 for a console are more than lilkely to own a smart phone of some kind resulting in the NX effectively having a standard controller and using smartphones for second screen applications?

I love the idea of a handheld that can dock to a TV for output. It'll be expensive, but it would be a thing I'm down for.

Yes, I feel the same as I've been writing about such a concept for sometime now, but I don't expect that's what we're getting. The indication seems to be NX for the living room this year, and a supplementary handheld in 2017. That'd be ok though. Again, if the NX living room system were pretty conventional, perhaps pairing it with their next handheld is what would introduce an (optional) gimmick factor for dual screen tomfoolery. The handheld might then effectively mimic the living room console's controller button layout exactly, albeit built around a screen. 

Are we THAT positive the NX will revolve around a gimmick?

For the longest time, I was expecting buy-once-play-anywhere to be the gimmick.  I wouldn't think that'd be possible for every release, just because of the power disparity between handheld and console, but I could see it being the case for at least Nintendo's first party games more often than not.  There are numerous logistical issues associated with that -- the media the games would be released on, pricing (since handheld games are usually a good bit less expensive), the usual headaches of what works on consoles not always translating well to handheld and vice versa -- but if Nintendo could figure that out, it'd be a colossal selling point.  It'd let them streamline their development.  I mean, if you had a 3DS, it was tough to make a case for the Wii U since nearly every franchise had a handheld equivalent with similar gameplay.  Buy-once-play-anywhere would stomp out that sort of duplication and minimize/eliminate the months between releases.  Even if the handheld and console sales individually aren't all that great, the sum of the two would still be a very significant market.

...but the consensus as of late is that the console is very capable, and it's hard to imagine a rationally priced handheld having the muscles to shoulder even downscaled versions of those games.

Are we THAT positive the NX will revolve around a gimmick?

Yes. It might be a dockable handheld/tablet thing. It might be something else. It's been a good long time since they did something without a gimmick to make it stand apart.

Assuming the "gimmick" is a tablet typre controller that connects to the TV then I think it could really work. This type of thing on a iPad is pretty damn amazing... I know most of you don't play on the TV or with an MFI controller on your iOS devices but, a potential NX with this functionality and with Nintendo 1st party games is a FOR SURE buy from me.

If the NX ends up being something else then who knows... I am a fan of the WiiU though and there are SO many great 1st party games for it so - I am definitely interested in whatever the NX will be.

Many here are parents. Are those of you with children getting enough experiences to share with them from the PC, PS4 and XB1 now, or is there still a distinct void that Nintendo could so perfectly fill if they actually got their act together?

This is kind of an interesting point.  Right now, my 4 year old loves playing with the WiiU, and both him and my 8 year old have their own 3DSes (sort of by accident).  He'll play stuff with me on the Xbox, but he can start up the gamepad and play Yoshi's Wooly World, NSMBU, or Mario Maker on his own, and he's actually getting reasonably competent at them.  There's something about the approachability of the Nintendo stuff that just works.  The Xbox is a little trickier with having to sign in etc (and Kinect sign in is broken for kids), and while I'm sure that Katie could figure it out, she's not really interested. 

All that being said though, this might be when I quit buying Nintendo consoles.  Probably not in the end, but I've definitely gotten much better at buying games than playing them.  Even the last few WiiU games I've bought (Yoshi, Captain Toad, and Mario Maker) haven't done much for me.  All of those are really well made, and Mario Maker especially is one of the best things Nintendo has done in years, but other than playing it a bunch in the first few weeks of release, I haven't been coming back to it.  Maybe it's just the same-ness of platformer fatugue setting in, or maybe it's just being so busy with everything else to have time to sink into something more substantial, but I just don't use the WiiU as much as I should these days.  Hell, I have a copy of Twilight Princess HD that I haven't even started yet...

I do really hope that something comes along and gets me excited about this thing, but I don't know what that'd be at this point.  It's really easy to think "New Zelda, new Metroid", but even then, if it's just more of the same, then maybe not? 

I think the next Nintendo console will be my last.  I had Zelda fatigue with Twilight Princess as I felt like taking on Ganon was getting tiring.  Same with Mario, I'm wowed for the first week.  And then I'm not excited anymore.

I'll probably get this next system, but they're going to have to knock it out of the park.

This is kind of an interesting point.  Right now, my 4 year old loves playing with the WiiU, and both him and my 8 year old have their own 3DSes (sort of by accident).  He'll play stuff with me on the Xbox, but he can start up the gamepad and play Yoshi's Wooly World, NSMBU, or Mario Maker on his own, and he's actually getting reasonably competent at them.  There's something about the approachability of the Nintendo stuff that just works.  The Xbox is a little trickier with having to sign in etc (and Kinect sign in is broken for kids), and while I'm sure that Katie could figure it out, she's not really interested. 

Shuhei Yoshida made a very salient point a year or two ago when it came to Nintendo. He championed the necessity for Nintendo's place in the market as they have so often provided a child's first entry point into videogames that ultimately acclimatise them for other platforms as they get older. It's a big reason I don't want Nintendo to keep failing, regardless of whether I buy their systems for myself again or not. I don't mean to single out Nintendo products as a child's plaything either, however.

Short of something spectacular with the hardware and its software lineup, I do not envision buying an NX myself this year either. I think my gaming funds in the second half of this year are going to go towards a GPU for my PC, and upgrading the PS4 to the revised model. My eyes will be firmly on Nintendo throughout this year once they announce the damn thing nevertheless.

I thought the 2DS might fill the Nintendo void in my life, but my time with handhelds seemed to end formlally with the Gameboy Advance (I sold the 2DS earlier in the year). I loved all iterations of the Gameboy over the years and regret never getting the Gameboy Micro. I've questioned why handhelds no longer hold appeal to me and I've yet to settle on a firm answer. Mobile gaming is certainly not the reason as I lost all interest in playing games on my phone fairly quickly. Whenever I update my iPad I might get into some point and click titles again, but iOS is clearly not going to be a significant gaming platform in my life. Perhaps it is the age of owning so many portable devices that puts me off owning yet another one. Between my phone, my laptop, my tablet, I've little interest in taking a gaming handheld on the go with me. I keep hold of my Vita, but I chiefly bought that because I had accumulated a large catalogue of games for it via PS+ before I even bought the system, and I bought it primarily because of Tearaway. So really, Nintendo's place in my life, if it is to ever find a place again, seems destined to remain in the living room.

Speaking of the Gameboy Micro, I will say that if Nintendo wanted to make a very similar sized handheld that exclusively ran Virtual Console download purchases and Nintendo eShop indie games via a downloadable store (all saved onto standard SD cards) I would actually be all over that thing like a rash. A slightly bigger Gameboy micro with an OLED screen and a button layout similar to the "New 3DS" would be a retro gaming dream machine in my pocket. Naturally, it will never exist.

After feeling burned by buying a Wii U at launch, I swore I wouldn't get another Nintendo console on day one again.  That regret quickly faded away, though, as the software droughts inspired me to seek out games I wound up loving and probably would've ignored under other circumstances.  I'm in, whatever and whenever it drops.

I do love that Nintendo appreciates couch co-op, and whatever the NX winds up being, I hope that's still part of the gameplan.

Some NX news tomorrow?

GAF members seem to be expecting (at the very least) a tiny morsel of information about the NX, possibly the system's actual name, to be revealed during Nintendo's fiscal forecast and briefing address this Wednesday. Bear in mind GAF's Nintendo members seem to love setting themselves up for crushing disappointment. Historically however, they are actually basing their expectations on when Nintendo have confirmed their E3 plans to investors in the past, and on Iwata's successor, Tetsu Kimishima, telling investors in the Q&A during March's third quarter financial results briefing that they would reveal details of the NX in their forecasts for the Nintendo's next fiscal year, which is what tomorrow's address is.

That sounds less like a final name, and more like nailing the release down to a financial year, if not quarter.

Yes, quite possibly. Basic confirmation of a 2016 release and nothing more could well be the extent of it. I'm not holding my breath for anything substantial. Even dropping mention of E3 and Nintendo Direct plans may well be left to a later date. 

Well, we got something out of their fiscal report today.

The system will in fact launch in March of 2017 globally Nintendo has confirmed.

"For our dedicated video game platform business, Nintendo is currently developing a gaming platform codenamed “NX” with a brand-new concept. NX will be launched in March 2017 globally."

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2016/160427e.pdf

Zelda has also been delayed to 2017 (which adds fuel to the rumours it will debut on U and NX at the same time).

A wise move avoiding the seasonal noise of playstation VR, Neo and potentially Xbox 1.2 (assuming the revised consoles even debut this year themselves)? I suppose it is, though I'd assume it a decision driven more by circumstance than choice. Nintendo could be looking at a truly dismal business year ahead between now and next spring, however. Their full year profit for the previous year has dropped a colossal 61%.

Takashi Mochizuki, tech reporter in Japan for the Wall St Journal, notes that Nintendo's focus at E3 will be Zelda, despite the delay, and not the NX.

Feels like we will probably get some kind of PS4-like dedicated press event later in the year, alongside or incorporated into a Nintendo Direct reveal.

Nintendo's financial report this morning announces that the Wii U sits at 3.26m sales... globally.  :colbert:

Nintendo's financial report this morning announces that the Wii U sits at 3.26m sales... globally. 

Oof. That's just over a third of what the Dreamcast managed.

Oof. That's just over a third of what the Dreamcast managed.

3.26 million sales for this past financial year.  Lifetime, the number is 12.8 million.  The Wii U officially outsold the Dreamcast when they announced their Q2 results last year.

I think that's as good as it is going to get. By the sounds of things Zelda is all they will have at E3. I wonder how easy to find Zelda will even be on the U when it comes out.

3.26 million sales for this past financial year.  Lifetime, the number is 12.8 million. 

Ah, OK. I misunderstood.

So there's basically nothing coming for the WiiU this year that we know of, with the one major tentpole release getting pushed to 2017?  I suppose there'll have to be something announced at E3 to keep the platform alive, and perhaps that'll be a pleasant surprise, but who knows given timelines.  If I had to bet on something, there's probably another HD remaster/collection coming for WiiU this year to fill a SKU, possibly a Mario or Zelda anthology package.  They could pretty easily package up all of the zelda games onto a single (or multiple) disc with some extra content similar to Rare Replay and make that a holiday release.  Include the remastered Wind Waker and TP, and maybe even the 3ds improvements for Ocarina and Majora, and then VC versions of Legend, Link, and LTTP.  Could go even further and include the portable games as well for a really complete package.  For a Mario anthology, maybe HD versions of Galaxy 1 and 2? 

Zelda on NX-I suppose it worked last time?  I guess there's no winning-you could release the WiiU version this year, and the NX version next year, and get people bitching that you sold them the same game twice, or you delay and have two versions of the game like with Twilight Princess.  Could also be a "buy once, get both versions" deal, but that's hoping for too much I think (although it might entice WiiU owners to get an NX). 

No NX at e3 seems weird though, but I guess it just underscores that E3 doesn't matter anymore.  There'll be a reveal at some point, and people will have a chance to show what they've been working on (since presumably there are dev kits out there), but it's not like there's WiiU/3ds momentum that they're worried about killing off.