LCVG
Angry the Clown

Nintendo Switch discussion thread (It's out. It's good. Even the chump who started this thread finally bought one. Deal with it.)

7 hours ago, Graeme said:

https://gizmodo.com/how-to-maybe-play-the-super-secret-copy-of-nes-golf-h-1818554909

The Switch has a secret copy of NES Golf on it as an apparent tribute to Iwata. Unlocking it involves the date being July 11 (The date Iwata passed away) and doing and Iwataesque motion with the Joycons. 

That is both crazy and utterly beautiful. 

• Like 1

Thanks everybody for your replies. Before I pull the trigger, I realized I had one more question regarding digital purchases. I understand that only one switch can be activated with a Nintendo account at any time (and since there's only one of me, that's fine) but should something down the road happen to a switch where it is dead, do I assume correctly that I can simply activate a new switch and that will by default deactivate the dead / lost / etc. one?(Nintendo's support page indicates that you need to manually deactivate the old one and then log into the new one which will set that one as the primary which is all well and good assuming you can power on / have access to the old one :) )

Also as a side curiosity - has Nintendo ever given an explanation as to why save data can't be transferred between systems using the same account? I guess I'm a little spoiled by Sony's cloud save options where you save and then pull it back to any PS4 (or PS3 I suppose) you want. Not a deal-breaker, but very odd especially if I'm using an SD card for save data.

Not that I see this as being a regularly recurring issue - but I've had consoles from both Sony and MS stop working at some point so just want to be prepared - or should they release a Switch 2.0 (or whatever) down the road that I feel the need to upgrade to.

Thanks again

My original Switch couldn’t connect on Wi-Fi so I had to return it. I did lose my save games which is lame in this day and age but, the account change over process wasn’t too bad actually. It was just a support request with the S/N and my Nintendo id and they deactivated the old one and then I activated my account on the new one when it came in like normal. As far as why they don’t use/allow save data transfers or cloud saves, I’ve never seen an actual reason... ie:Nintendo being Nintendo 

3 hours ago, davedbc said:

do I assume correctly that I can simply activate a new switch and that will by default deactivate the dead / lost / etc. one?

As stated, you can manually deactivate it, or you have to contact support if you can’t get it done manually. 

As for saves, they haven’t given a reason. I’m sure the manual transfers are for some sort of security concerns (Nintendo consoles have a history of being hacked still). I hope they add cloud saves at some point, but I won’t hold my breath. 

Or maybe they’ll make it so that you can upload saves to an app on your phone... and then only be able to copy them back to the original Switch they came from. 

I saw 3 Switches in the wild for the first time ever... and i couldn't do it.  I want the Super Mario Odyssey bundle, and I think I'll go that route.

I feel like Nintendo is starting to catch up with demand for the Switch. I've seen at least a few units in stock at local brick and mortar stores more often than not as of late. I saw some last weekend when I went to the mall, and a quick scan of GameStop, Best Buy, and Target's online stores shows units available for pickup and many nearby locations.

My only concern about waiting for the Super Mario Odyssey bundle is whether or not you'll actually be able to find it--or any Switch consoles for that matter--between October 27 and the end of the year. Maybe Nintendo is getting ahead of demand now, but when the Christmas shopping season starts in force, I wouldn't be surprised if they sold out again.

Incidentally, the Switch has been outselling the XB1 in the UK since its release which is remarkable given that we're historically one of Nintendo's lowest performing territories. On that basis I probably should buy one asap, just to feel like one of the in crowd. For additional perspective, an XB1S (500GB) with a game is typically £220 here. The Switch alone sells for £279 (still more expensive than a 1TB Xbox One S at £250 inc a game). 

The Thimbleweed Park port is quite solid and you can play via touchscreen, so that's pretty slick. Great game, remains great.

Also grabbed Steamworld Dig 2, since I really liked the first one and apparently this  one has some great upgrades.

Too many games!

I went back to the same exact Target as I questioned my decision on not picking up a Switch.  It had babies, and there's 7 to 8 in stock now.

I’d say it’s doing pretty damn well on the software front in its first six months all things considered, but they’ve completely dropped the ball on the Virtual Console front. I’m really beginning to think the birth of the NES and SNES minis, and being able to milk that audience,  has left the future of a Switch VC a low priority for the company.

Steamworld Dig 2 is really, really good. It starts slow for maybe 30 minutes, then kicks into this rewarding loop of cash and upgrades and secrets that’s addictive as hell.

I could not put it down last night.

Nintendo Network adds two-factor authentication

Owen S. Good for Polygon:

Nintendo Network, the portal for users on the Nintendo Switch and 3DS, implemented two-factor authentication for all accounts effective now.

[...]

The two-factor authentication runs through Google Authenticator, which requires a mobile device (iOS or Android). The result is that every new login to Nintendo Network under this ID needs to pass Google Authenticator in addition to the normal login controls.

Just a heads up in case you missed it. I figure most of us want to try to make our accounts as secure as possible, and this is a good way to do it.

Also, it should be noted that Google Authenticator is not the only app that can be used to set up two-factor authentication. If you're like me and use an app like 1Password, you can also use that for your authenticator code.

• Like 2

Reminder that Mario Bros Arcade is out tomorrow, then we get a new Picross game (yesssssssss, love these) on Thursday and from other devs we have Golf Story, which is indeed the first golf rpg in a very long time.

On 25/09/2017 at 3:44 PM, JFo said:

Also, it should be noted that Google Authenticator is not the only app that can be used to set up two-factor authentication. If you're like me and use an app like 1Password, you can also use that for your authenticator code.

How do you select 1Password or something else as the authenticator? I tried doing this yesterday but, didn’t see an option for it. Did you just use the QR code in 1password?