LCVG
Angry the Clown

Nintendo Switch discussion thread (It's out. It's good. Even the chump who started this thread finally bought one. Deal with it.)

BriefChubbyBufflehead.gif

Going to be tough leaving it in the box for a couple of days. I know I could just install Mario to the internal storage and get going immediately, but if I have the sd card coming on Thursday then I might as well wait (and I'd sooner not touch it until I have the screen protector as well so I can lay that down on a pristine surface). I probably won't have much play time until Friday evening as it is.  

Is the iOS/Android companion app good? Are there any general set up tips I should know?

14 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

BriefChubbyBufflehead.gif

(and I'd sooner not touch it until I have the screen protector as well so I can lay that down on a pristine surface).

My OCD approves of this.

BTW, I'm looking at getting some games off the eShop.  I think I'm going for Shovel Knight, Golf Story, Stardew Valley, and may be Overcooked even though I already have it on PS4.  I never got around to playing Master Blaster on the NES so that's going to be on deck.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Itsa heeere! 

Wa-hoo!

5 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Cute box (again, it shall remain boxed until Thursday). 

Wait until you see how small the actual device is.

• Like 1

I have a 128GB micro SD card in my Switch with the following digital games/apps:

Rocket League

Hulu

Super Mario Odyssey

Doom

Rayman Legends

Arms

Mario Kart 8

Minecraft

NBA Playgrounds

Fast RMX

Splatoon 2

Snipperclips

Ultra Street Fighter 2

And I still have 54.6GB free. The only physical game I've bought so far was Breath of the Wild and it has never left my Switch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmmm. Perhaps 128 would be fine in my case then. That's a good use of space.

What is the biggest install you have? Doom? (I heard that is a full cartridge PLUS. a 9GB download for multiplayer). 

Doom is 21.3GB and NBA Playgrounds is 9.6GB. The rest range from 6.8GB to 905MB (excluding Hulu which is 37.5MB). Other than Skyrim, I probably won't get anything else this year.

EDIT: FYI, the digital download of Breath of the Wild is 13.6GB.

Edited by MastaRedSnappa
  • Like 1

I’ve bought almost all my games on physical cart (except for Snipperclips, Neo Turf Golf and Snake Pass) and haven’t bought a SD card yet. 

I suppose 128GB will be fine. I understand the Switch does in fact have quite a thoughtful archiving feature when it tells you you're out of space? If you've bought but uninstalled a game, will it still show as an icon in your library?

I'm forgetting the internal storage is there to be used, so even if I take that to be around 25GB after accounting for the OS I would effectively have a good amount of space to play with combining that with an microSD. So going 128 for now gives me £30 I would have otherwise spent towards the 200GB to instead go towards a second game. 

Can you transfer games from internal storage to an SD yet? I now that was not possible initially. 

46 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Can you transfer games from internal storage to an SD yet? I now that was not possible initially. 

You can, but it's not necessarily that intuitive of a process.  Something about archiving the game in settings.  Congrats on the purchase.  And smart move on the SD card.  As much smarter people than me have pointed out, you start getting into diminishing returns on larger microSD cards.  It gets hideously expensive past the 128 territory.

I've played about 10 Rocket League local play matches with bots to get my feet wet before I play online with real people and it's been a lot of fun. I appreciate being able to play with bots offline for when I don't have a WiFi connection and also the fact that the local play matches unlock the different cars and whatnot. I can see why people are so into the game.