LCVG
Angry the Clown

Nintendo Switch discussion thread (It's out. It's good. Even the chump who started this thread finally bought one. Deal with it.)

Looks like it's also on sale in Canada-$53.59.  A nonzero discount is good enough for me-I'll pick this up on the switch when I get home. 

Thanks all - will hold off one for now; maybe if we end up regularly needing a third (but not fourth, or I'll get a second joycon pair) for Mario Kart.

I just picked up one of these covers for $12.99 on Amazon:

YCCTEAM Nintendo Switch Case - Scratch Free and Snaps on Easily TPU Moderate Hardness Clear Protective Cover Case for New Nintendo Switch 2017 with 8 Thumb Grips Caps - Black

It greatly improves comfort playing in handheld mode. Obviously, it's too thick to fit in the dock with the cover on so if you switch between handheld and docked mode a lot, it may not be worth the effort.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the Switch with the cover on still fits in the slim Nintendo case.

I went in on the Explorer's Edition of Zelda and got the DLC.  It's the first game I've ever repurchased so close to its previous incarnation.

• Like 1

Huh.... This is interesting...

Nintendo will launch a selection of its most popular Wii and GameCube games on Nvidia's Android-powered Shield tablet in China.

Super Mario Galaxy, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Punch-out!! will all arrive for the device, remastered with 1080p visuals.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-12-05-super-mario-galaxy-zelda-twilight-princess-to-launch-on-android-in-china

With the Switch built on the same tech, they're surely not going to have gone to the effort of remastering these titles just for the Shield in China. It could be our first glimpse at what to expect from Cube and Wii titles on a Switch Virtual Console. 

• Like 1

Nintendo Switch setup Log, Stardate 12 6 17

-Oh, Digital Switch games on sale, let me make some holiday purchases.

-Oh, need the system setup in order to purchase. (Fine, I need to do that before Xmas anyway, but why can't I simply make purchases on an account without setting up a device? There might be a good answer, but I don't know it.)

-Setup

-Poor/little documentation out of the box.

-Fine, No problem, Nintendo probably knows how to do quick and simple. (Spoiler,... Not true)

-There is no quick connect to wifi option, I need to manually locate and enter my router password like it's still the year 2007 or something.

-Update the System, K no problem.

-K, let me double check the system, yep, it's completely up-to-date.

-Where the fuck does the SD memory go?

-"Unhook the joycons, WITHOUT TOUCHING ANY OTHER BUTTON!"

- Fuck you Nintendo, quit trolling us! Not a single person has ever successfully not touched a button on their first attempt to detach a friggen joycon.

-I know the joycons seem prone to torque damage when connected to the system, but damn. My kids are definitely breaking these.

(Mental note, keep Switch away from the 3yr old......... Hahaha right, fuck you Joel........ Sigh.)

-How do you open the fucking kick stand!!! 

- ***internet search*** Ohhhhh, there's the SD card slot, locked away under the kickstand I couldn't open!  Still can't open!

-Spend 10 minutes looking for something that will open the kickstand without damaging my kids Xmas present before they even see it. (Phone screen replacement tool set comes in handy. Might need to stow a plastic tool in the switch case.) 

-Wait, what, NOW the Switch needs to download a new system update because I inserted an SD card? What? 

-My internet, my always rock solid internet starts having connection issues with all of my devices immediately after having connected the Switch.

-Probably just a coincidence, let me reboot the router.

-Great, everything is connected and fast again.

-Oh wait, the Switch needs me to reenter the password and reconnect?  WTF, there has been no change to the password or settings,  simply been rebooted.  Sigh.

- "Merging funds will allow you to share your balance between your Nintendo Account and your Nintendo Network ID."

-What the fuck is the difference? Is Nintendo trying to melt my mind? I know that for anyone who has worked this out already it probably seems simple now, but I guarantee there are a lot of non-tech parents trying to set this stuff up and getting confused. Too many steps and hoops setting up these devices and corresponding accounts. KISS

-Oh good, there's a Skip button buried at the bottom.

-Boy, This thing has a bunch of pieces to keep track of. Those covers for the Joycon slots, those are bound to disappear!

-I'm sure this will be fun. I'm just glad I went through this on Dec 6th, not on Dec 25th.

• Haha 1

I’m hoping the Shield Wii/GameCube games area precursor to the Switch VC. I think you’re right and it can’t be just for the Shield in China...

Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease

Though if I get the original Super Monkey Ball in proper quality in a handheld (the only version ever to get the original's levels was the first GBA release, and yeah, you never knew how hard Expert 7 could be until you tried it on a dpad at 15 frames a second) you might not see me again.

• Like 2

You would hope it is a precursor of things to come but from what I heard on a podcast, it was part of Nintendo’s agreement with Nvidia for their part in the Switch. It is China only. At least we now know 1080p remasters exist of those games, it should be simple to put them on VC if they ever announce the damn thing. Right Nintendo, RIGHT?

12 hours ago, iainl said:

Though if I get the original Super Monkey Ball in proper quality in a handheld (the only version ever to get the original's levels was the first GBA release, and yeah, you never knew how hard Expert 7 could be until you tried it on a dpad at 15 frames a second) you might not see me again.

OK, this needs to happen. 

Remastered Cube ports would be so great. Such a wee gem of a console. I'd really like them to port the Wii U Wind Waker to Switch. 

4 hours ago, Paul said:

You would hope it is a precursor of things to come but from what I heard on a podcast, it was part of Nintendo’s agreement with Nvidia for their part in the Switch. It is China only. At least we now know 1080p remasters exist of those games, it should be simple to put them on VC if they ever announce the damn thing. Right Nintendo, RIGHT?

We'll get them eventually. We'll have to pay something stupid, but we'll get them.

16 hours ago, JTello said:

How do you open the fucking kick stand!!! 

- ***internet search*** Ohhhhh, there's the SD card slot, locked away under the kickstand I couldn't open!  Still can't open!

-Spend 10 minutes looking for something that will open the kickstand without damaging my kids Xmas present before they even see it. (Phone screen replacement tool set comes in handy. Might need to stow a plastic tool in the switch case.) 

There could be something wrong with your kickstand if you need to use a tool to open it. Mine opens easily with my finger. 

The initial opening was really tough. I'm ok with it, as I figure it wear into being usable, which is better than falling open too easily after some time. Hopefully.

Strange place for the SD card. If the stand continues to be tough to open I'll be a bit concerned about the card getting fucked along the way. Hopefully not.

Dear Mr. Iwata

Today, December 6th, Satoru Iwata was supposed to celebrate his birthday. I'm still sad he never got to see Nintendo doing this well again, so I wrote him this "letter". Rest in peace, Mr. Iwata.

If you'll excuse me, I'll be off in the corner shedding a tear or two.

• Like 1

Had my first Switch "issue".  I purchased an additional pair of joycons.  It would recognize the left one as being attached to the console, but not the right one.  Hit the sync button on the right joy, reattached it to the console, and now it recognizes it.  Weird...

1 hour ago, Dimness said:

Had my first Switch "issue".  I purchased an additional pair of joycons.  It would recognize the left one as being attached to the console, but not the right one.  Hit the sync button on the right joy, reattached it to the console, and now it recognizes it.  Weird...

They do seem to be a bit finnicky at times.  Attaching them seems to be a sure fire way to get it done though.  

• Like 1