LCVG
Angry the Clown

Nintendo Switch discussion thread (It's out. It's good. Even the chump who started this thread finally bought one. Deal with it.)

My son bought the Labo robot kit yesterday and we finished putting it together today. Took about 3.5-4 hours with his help. Might have taken me about 2.5 if I was just doing it myself. It’s pretty cool how everything fits together and the game seems pretty entertaining. I just don’t know if it is going to have lasting appeal.

And I had to really think how the joycon in the backpack was reading arm and leg movements. But then I remembered that they have IR sensors in the bottom.  There are four “pistons” in the backpack and they have reflective stickers on them. You can see the pistons position in real time during the game and how they move using the strings attached to the arms and legs.  It’s a cool setup. 

• Like 1

The piano in the other pack is a thing of beauty. I’ve not even had a chance to borrow my son’s long enough to try the other parts, but it’s mindblowing that it can do polyphonic. 

• Like 3

No, but I played through the whole thing on PS4 and it’s fantastic. The first one was done by Digital Eclipse and Frank Cifaldi was on board. The level of care is very impressive and the save states mean you can actually finish some of the harder games ;)

I wish they had run the entire series because Legacy 2 sounds lesser in every respect. DE not involved at all.

Just now, Mark E said:

The level of care is very impressive and the save states mean you can actually finish some of the harder games ;)

I think the Switch version goes a step further and adds a rewind feature.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Anyone pick up Mega Man Legacy Collection? 

I will once I return to civilization.  Currently in Appalachia with DSL.

Been dipping back into Mario Kart over the long weekend. Such fun, though it's a pity it doesn't really become a challenge until you get to 150cc. I really do love this console as it just seems to fit perfectly with the pick up and play for thirty minutes mentality that I lean towards so regularly these days with games. It's made me wonder what Nintendo will do as a follow up to the Switch as the handheld/docked formula seems so right for them that it would surely be insane if they did not continue that kind of hardware combination (but Nintendo like to make insane decisions). 

• Like 3

On 5/26/2018 at 5:32 PM, iainl said:

The piano in the other pack is a thing of beauty. I’ve not even had a chance to borrow my son’s long enough to try the other parts, but it’s mindblowing that it can do polyphonic. 

I had a Best Buy card that I needed to use up, so I picked up the Variety kit last weekend.  So far the kids seem reasonably disinterested.  My 6 year old son liked messing with the RC car a bit, but didn't really get the hang of building anything.  My 10 year old daughter, who I thought might be much more interested, didn't make it through building the house.  She did the first section, but then lost interest.  I think the "payoff" is a little delayed for some of the larger builds, which might be part of the problem. 

I noticed that if you switch profiles though, you can't just say "no, I already did this part", and skip ahead.  Had to fast forward through the whole "practice" build before getting to do anything else. 

Anyway, this stuff is fascinating, and I still want to try and get the kids interested in the bits where they explore how things work, and suggest new things to try. 

I think it helps a lot that Finn loves nothing more than taking on the £150 LEGO Creator city builds. So the prospect of two hours putting cardboard together is no worry at all. 

I got around to picking up the Mega Man Legacy Collection, and like a masochist, I'm starting with the first one.  Boy do I suck at that game.  The controls are slippery, and I am getting flashbacks to hating any jumps that involve an overhang.  That stuff is picky as shit.

A (*shudder*) 4chan leak allegedly revealing several upcoming titles:

E3Leak.jpg

Via Resetera, Kotaku and Destructoid apparently believe this to be legit (Kotaku are particularly sure of Dragon Ball FighterZ, and Destructoid have said they're aware of several title reveals currently under pre-E3 under embargo that are featured on the list above).

If Dragon Ball is coming over then I really think Nintendo should do something hardware wise for all these great fighters appearing on the Switch. It's great that Hori are doing the stripped down joycon to provide us with a d-pad, but it is nevertheless stripped down (internally) and limited to portable mode. It makes me wish for 2nd gen/Elite style joycons that could have interchangeable button pieces.

Once again, I find myself confused by the ridiculous number of attempts to do 1st person MOBA style team shooters and assumed Paladins was one of the cancelled ones. 

The Switch overtook the XB1 for market share in the UK in May. That's quite an achievement. As top publisher for the month N ran a close second to Sony (Donkey Kong ranked #4 in the top 10 multi-format chart).

I’ve spent a couple hours playing around with Yoku’s Island Express this weekend. It’s a lot of fun. Basically, a pinball based Metroidvania, which is like the peanut butter and chocolate of game concepts for me.

You play a little bug guy who has been selected to be the next postmaster of an island and you roll a ball all over and use flipper spaces to launch yourself around, find hidden objects, and collect fruit to unlock new routes and such. There are even gear upgrades as is the style of these games.

It’s terribly cute and while some of the skill shots are ridiculously precise, the game is pretty damn good. I like it quite a bit.

Start a thread of Yoku, I've been contemplating buying it on xbox :P

• Like 1

That IS the thread for now ;). It got a good hour of my time before I went back to the tennis demo and my Fire Emblem game :P.

The first upgrade you get is too cute for words, plus makes an incredibly accurate and therefore incredibly annoying sound that drove my girlfriend up the wall...

Thanks to dyslexia and a blatant bias for the green fella I constantly read that game’s title as Yoshi’s Island Express. I’ve been inadvertently doing it for the past two weeks now and am somehow still disappointed every time my brain corrects itself and reminds me that no, there is no new Yoshi’s Island game.

Why is third party availability of pre-paid game code cards so inconsistent? You can usually rely on game stores selling codes for Nintendo titles, but Street Fighter 30th for example does not seem to be available via third parties, despite the fact Ultra SF II was (and still is). I don't think Mario + Rabbids was available as a download via third party stores either. Bethesda's games at least seem to be supporting other sellers outside of the eShop. 

Digital Foundry nerds look at the official release of Mario Galaxy on the Shield in China:

Well worth watching. It is very promising stuff indeed. As they say themselves, it's hard to imagine all this effort going into something that would never transfer over to the Switch itself, and free of Android's OS it would be even better implemented. This really could open up something special for Cube and Wii ports. It would be really interesting if, unlike Dolphin, the emulation could also extend to n64 titles too.

There's rumours of a Metroid Prime HD Trilogy remaster (it would make sense leading into 4). We'll see if anything comes of that on Tuesday, but I suspect if/when that emerges it will be a proper release rather than emulated.

• Like 1

Picked up my own Switch and pre-ordered the Let's Go games for myself and the kids.  Now it's my turn to play the games since the kids have played the ones they have to death.  Might pick up BoTW for myself.

• Like 4

Welp, found out that I can only use my Nintendo account on one device at a time to download stuff from the shop.  I guess I'll have to create a new one for this new Switch.