LCVG
Angry the Clown

Nintendo Switch discussion thread (It's out. It's good. Even the chump who started this thread finally bought one. Deal with it.)

Thinking more on all these great fighters on and coming to Switch and there really being no great control solution outside of a very expensive Hori arcade stick, I've decided, like I have the power to make this happen, that Hori should make their Fighting Commander pad for the Switch. 

This.... in red.

01__71165.1494888124.jpg?c=2

1__49996.1469755012.jpg?c=2

They make this for the SNES Classic too, which runs wirelessly via a USB dongle. Sadly I can't find any information about trying to get it to work with the Switch.

NCS-001UProduct_image_1__14227.150663393

Ideally I'd love them to do the PS4/XB1 pad for the Switch (for the design really, and if a Switch pad were also PC compatible that'd be great).

Hori already make a wired controller for the Switch that looks like the pro controller. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if they made their pads for the Switch. 

I hope so. It's silly the Switch dock only has 1 USB input though as I'd want two pads for two player. I don't know if it recognises two controllers over USB if using a USB expansion. Presumably that would work ok?

On 6/10/2018 at 2:24 PM, Angry the Clown said:

Thinking more on all these great fighters on and coming to Switch and there really being no great control solution outside of a very expensive Hori arcade stick, I've decided, like I have the power to make this happen, that Hori should make their Fighting Commander pad for the Switch. 

This.... in red.

01__71165.1494888124.jpg?c=2

1__49996.1469755012.jpg?c=2

Ideally I'd love them to do the PS4/XB1 pad for the Switch (for the design really, and if a Switch pad were also PC compatible that'd be great).

Funny, I just bought that PS4 version (literally arrived today) and I bought a Brooks convertor so I could use it on a new Xbox One as well (PS4 is my main machine by far which is the reason I didn't just by the Xbox controller). The added expense really only makes sense if you'd plan to use the controller for double duty, but I mention it because there is a Switch Brooks convertor as well.

I guess you'd still have to paint it red 😆

• Like 1

Nice! Expensive if wanting two, mind you, but one for now and a pad to use on my PC and Switch in the meantime could be a good solution, then if they do release an official switch model that can be the second pad. Another reason for wanting a dedicated one for Switch is Nintendo map their A, B...etc buttons differently to Microsoft. 

Also I'm a dummy. The Switch does have two USB inputs (Three, actually. The two on the side and one internally). 

Rumor has Fire Emblem Switch to be revealed today. I can only wish. My most anticipated title of the year.

I think we'll get it, yes, and that could end up the second biggie title alongside Smash Bros this afternoon. I've stumbled on several rumours, most by accident (including one crazy Mario rumour which could leave a lot of people puzzled and angry), so my expectations are modest, and I think that's fine since Nintendo regularly stretch their announcements and title updates over several Directs throughout the year. I'd like to see the rumoured Star Fox racing game though. Feels time to lift the lid on what Retro have been up to.

So we seem to have a clear autumn/winter line up now with nothing published by Nintendo themselves for August and September as far as I can tell, but Mario Party arrives 5th of October (far enough ahead of Red Dead Redemption's chart dominance at the end of the month), then leading the holiday season charge will be Pokemon Let's Go in November and Smash Bros at the beginning of December. 

We'll unquestionably get another Direct in the autumn/winter, and maybe one ahead of the online service going live as well. Quite possible they could squeeze in a mid Dec title, but Pokemon and Smash should give them a very profitable holiday period. 

2019 could be crazy if we assume that's when Metroid 4 will land (Holiday 2019 seems best bet), and perhaps the rumoured Prime HD collection ahead of it. Then there's Fire Emblem, Retro's alleged Star Fox racer and hopefully Bayonetta 3, probably Yoshi next year now too, and next year feels like a good time for new Animal Crossing, Mario Maker and Pikmin titles (a new Pikmin we know has been in development for some time now). There's also the promised traditional Pokemon rpg. Things could get very expensive. Lots to potentially look forward to though. 

I downloaded Fortnite for the Switch. Unfortunately, if you ever linked your Epic account to the PS4, you cannot use it on the Switch. You will have to create a new one (which means, no skins/items/progress are available from your other account).

It's utterly Sony's fault, yes. Even if you unlink your sony account, the credentials are still flagged & block you. No such restriction with an xbox associated account (we regularly flip between PC + Xbox for our fortnite games at home). 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dogbert said:

It's utterly Sony's fault, yes. Even if you unlink your sony account, the credentials are still flagged & block you. No such restriction with an xbox associated account (we regularly flip between PC + Xbox for our fortnite games at home). 

They really need to stop being twats about this. 

• Like 3

So on Thursday, voice chat will be coming to Fortnite on the Switch VIA THE HEADPHONE JACK. Why is Nintendo making players jump through hoops to do voice chat on Splatoon via a smartphone app???

• Like 1

I was 50/50 on expecting that one. I'd been wondering if the mobile game was leading towards a Switch announcement sooner rather than later, but knowing this was going to be Smash's big direct I'm just not sure there would have been room to reveal a new Animal Crossing. I'd like to think we'll be playing it this time next year though. 

The prospect of some sweet online matches has ignited my interest in Smash Bros. I consistently buy the series, but none of my friends are hard into it like we used to be, save myself :P

• Like 1

Bought SSB for the 3DS.  Was really horrible at it then my son took the game from me and saw him play and he's way better than I was.  Sad times indeed.  I'm going to buy the switch version and practice ahead of time then get a copy for them for Christmas and hope I can beat them within the first couple of days.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mark E said:

The prospect of some sweet online matches has ignited my interest in Smash Bros. I consistently buy the series, but none of my friends are hard into it like we used to be, save myself :P

We're doing this. I've only ever played single player which may be why I didn't give it enough time on the Cube back in the day. 

I'm ready to be anyone's Smash punching bag. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King of All Cosmos said:

The lack of an Animal Crossing announcement is the biggest disappointment at E3 for me.

For my wife as well.

I played about 10 matches of Fortnite on the Switch last night. It's a solid port and a lot of fun. There are some pop-up issues and occasional lag that can hopefully be optimized away in future updates. The load time to boot up the game and matches is considerably faster than when I play on the PS4. Now if only Sony/Epic can get the crossplay issue sorted out...

24 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Back to my D-pad conundrum. Anyone using or just had a chance to try one of these from 8Bitdo?

sf30pro-spec.png

Euro/Japan variant for cool people:

sn30pro-spec.png

http://www.8bitdo.com/sn30pro-sf30pro/

$50, but has home and screen capture buttons, rumble and even motion controls.

Haven't used them myself, but have heard good things about them.  

They certainly look the business. Amazon reviews seem mixed, while Youtube seem positive. Hmmm....

They do an SFC30 as well, which is a wireless SNES pad clone through and through, so lacks the added shoulder buttons, analogue sticks, rumble, home/share buttons of the pad above. Reviews seem more consistent for the simplified model, and to be honest it's all I'd require for now. I may try one out in the coming months (£25 in the UK for the SFC30).

51s1EAJ12AL._SL1100_.jpg

On this pad you press select + down on the d-pad to work as the home button. With a usb dongle they will also work with NES and SNES Classics I think. 

Honestly I don't know why Nintendo don't do something like this themselves. It'd be such a popular peripheral for them.