LCVG
Angry the Clown

Nintendo Switch discussion thread (It's out. It's good. Even the chump who started this thread finally bought one. Deal with it.)

So there's basically nothing coming for the WiiU this year that we know of, with the one major tentpole release getting pushed to 2017?  I suppose there'll have to be something announced at E3 to keep the platform alive, and perhaps that'll be a pleasant surprise, but who knows given timelines.  If I had to bet on something, there's probably another HD remaster/collection coming for WiiU this year to fill a SKU, possibly a Mario or Zelda anthology package. 

I wouldn't get your hopes up for anything beyond Zelda at E3 really, unless they decide to namedrop Pikmin 4 which was rumoured to be near complete last year, but one has to honestly wonder if it is worth putting development and distribution efforts in to any more U titles this year (especially in Pikmin's case since the U already has a great Pikmin game). They specifically singled out Zelda at E3 as their focus during the investors address. You'd think they'd have also assured investors of other titles coming this year even if they did not name them specifically to at least give some reassurance.

The press are already weary of Nintendo. Even with Zelda at E3 you can be sure most of the press will write about their frustration over only being able to see and play the U version. The hardest sell is going to be Nintendo Direct. For it to be entirely Zelda and DS focused would be such a cop out to fans. Some hint of things to come would take the sting off the reality of another year of mostly filler a little bit. A rapid thirty second reel of NX games with an invitation to join then in December for a reveal event or something would be nice.

So there's basically nothing coming for the WiiU this year that we know of, with the one major tentpole release getting pushed to 2017?

We know we have #FE, Paper Mario, and that Mario/Sonic Olympics game.  If you're feeling generous, you could count that Mini-Mario Amiibo Challenge thing.  Project Robot Guard is still listed as TBA in Nintendo's financials, but there's a chance it'd hit the Wii U this year.  There's also the possibility of smaller games we don't know about yet.  (We first heard about Captain Toad something like 5 months before release, for instance.)  Maybe more GameCube->Wii U remasters?  I'm hopeful for Pikmin 4 just to have a little Nintendo flavor in my 2016 diet.

I'm still shocked they haven't updated the red headed stepchild of the Mario franchise and remastered Sunshine for the WiiU.

I'm still shocked they haven't updated the red headed stepchild of the Mario franchise and remastered Sunshine for the WiiU.

I've been waiting for that too.  I figured it was a lock when they made the GameCube controller available for use on the Wii U.  The lack of analog triggers would make the gameplay kinda challenging otherwise.

People enjoyed that one? It felt like such a chore to me.

I've seen screenshots of Sunshine running on the Dolphin emulator and it is really pretty. A remake would certainly be nice.

Recent rumours suggested the NX would be getting Splatoon, Mario Maker, Smash Bros and Mario Kart ports over from the Wii U. I find the latter two a little hard to believe, personally, but the former kind of makes sense. They should have Mario Maker pre-installed on consoles. There was also rumour of a new Luigi's Mansion for NX. I'd welcome that. Boos are my favourite Nintendo characters after Yoshis. :)

That one is criminally underrated.

That's one of the things I thought of when I suggested a Mario Anthology, but I figured a remastered Galaxy would be more likely.  Better regarded game, chance to do two games in one go, and probably easier to port given that they've done it with Zelda already. 

I suppose they could also announce gamecube support for VC?  I just figured there'd have to be SOMETHING to release this year for the hardware they have on the market. 

I'd take a copy of Thousand Year Door on VC easy enough; hands down my favourite Mario RPG.

Seconded, and I don't even have access to the VC. Love that game. I also have a soft spot for Super Paper Mario on the Wii. It's a pity the new Paper Mario for the U looks a bit rubbish. 

Nintendo have further clarified in their own press release that Zelda on Wii U will literally be the only game they have at E3.

E3: Nintendo changes its approach to the show every year. This June, Nintendo will focus its attentions on the upcoming game in The Legend of Zelda series. The Wii U version of the game will be playable for the first time on the E3 show floor, and it will be the only playable game Nintendo presents at the show, in order to provide attendees a complete immersion. Additional information about Nintendo’s E3 plans will be announced in the future.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2016/April/Nintendo-provides-updates-on-mobile-NX-and-The-Legend-of-Zelda-along-with-annual-earnings-1102529.html

tumblr_inline_mim9jn5ZQS1qz4rgp.gif

Nintendo have further clarified in their own press release that Zelda on Wii U will literally be the only game they have at E3.

It does say "playable", so I'll hold onto some glimmer of hope that means there may be something else too, no matter how delusional that makes me.

Also:

Respected Japanese paper Nikkei asked Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima what kind of game machine the NX was. “At this current stage, I’m not able to say,” Kimishima replied. “However, it’s not merely the successor to the handheld 3DS or stationary console Wii U. This will be hardware that’s been made with a new way of thinking. I’d like to announce more particulars regarding its specs and how it works another time this year.”

Are we THAT positive the NX will revolve around a gimmick?

Hate to say I told you so but I told you so ;)

However, it’s not merely the successor to the handheld 3DS or stationary console Wii U. This will be hardware that’s been made with a new way of thinking.

Hate to say I told you so but I told you so ;)

SILENCE! ....Nobody hates saying that.  :D

cMR6sdQ.jpg

"And that, my liege, is how we know the NX to be banana shaped"

Lumping both systems into the comment like that makes me think that it is indeed a single hybrid console. I can imagine that kind of device in theory, but in practice I get caught when it comes to the internal power to push to both a TV and the handheld at the same time, what kind of media the games would come on...etc...etc. My best guess would be two devices, sold separately, but two that are uniquely complimentary (could a living room console perhaps be able to rip a disc securely and beam its contents over to a handheld's internal storage for play on the move?). Then again... A new way of thinking? Perhaps NX is merely a state of mind.

Lumping both systems into the comment like that makes me think that it is indeed a single hybrid console.

Maybe. But then if they had specified one or the other then you'd have at least 5000 Nintendo fans assuming it was a follow-up for the one not mentioned, and another 5000 assuming that it was sort of a follow-up for the one mentioned, but with a new gimmick.

This whole 2017 thing reminds me of a really atrocious mis-step of an advertising campaign that they ran back in the UK, before the launch of the N64 (for context, the PS1 + Saturn were launching, and Nintendo wasn't coming out for a good while...):

1376241051-8106-768.jpg