LCVG
Angry the Clown

Nintendo Switch discussion thread (It's out. It's good. Even the chump who started this thread finally bought one. Deal with it.)

This whole 2017 thing reminds me of a really atrocious mis-step of an advertising campaign that they ran back in the UK, before the launch of the N64 (for context, the PS1 + Saturn were launching, and Nintendo wasn't coming out for a good while...):

1376241051-8106-768.jpg

Oh wow. That brings back memories, and on top of that they made the UK wait a further six months when the N64 did finally release in Japan and the US. As a consequence it was the first console I was able to have imported.

I do kind of miss the days of crazy 90s game advertising in the UK from Nintendo, SEGA and Sony.

I did love that Ultra 64 logo, but it was about as real as the Project Reality, Killer Instinct Arcade in the home, bullshit hype I'm still salty over  :andre:  :Dawson:  :Psycho:

Oh wow, that brings back memories. The 64 was my first console; until that point I'd been a strictly Computer Games person.

Nvidia Tegra based Soc for the handheld? The bullet points below come via a Gaf thread lifting info from the (subscription based) Semi Accurate website.

• Though Nvidia downplayed console margins, their pride was hurt by the loss in console contracts. All the talk about "focusing on Shield" was a cover for the fact that MS and Sony had soured on them and would not enter negotiations.
  • Nvidia team was told to get a console win or "go home." Enter Nintendo, who apparently made off very well in this deal. This to the point that SemiAccurate questions whether this is a "win" at all for Nvidia.
  • SA has heard that Nvidia are promising software, support, and the whole shebang at a very low cost. According to one source, Nvidia may even be taking a loss on this deal.
  • Not mentioned which generation of Tegra or process node will be used or when the handheld is scheduled for release.
  • No mention of the home console, but we can speculate what that might be and who might provide the chipset for that one.

Elsewhere it has been claimed that the main system will definitely not be x86/AMD Polaris based and will likely still lag behind current gen console performance, though be close to XB1, however the chipset will nevertheless be of a "very modern" design.

Man, I was just thinking about Thousand Year Door, of all things, and do you think that the NX might launch with a slate of Cube games on VC? At this point, there's nothing to be gained by propping up the WiiU, and it'd shore up some software deficiencies at launch (we know there'll be software deficiencies at launch :P).

It astounds me that Nintendo never exploited the potential of the VC. The way they just trickled out titles at an arduous pace was so strange. If they are truly beginning to grasp the internet then perhaps they will really make the VC something to be excited about on the NX. 

Well, Eurogamer believes they have the scoop on the NX:

Nintendo's upcoming NX will be a portable, handheld console with detachable controllers, a number of sources have confirmed to Eurogamer.

On the move, NX will function as a high-powered handheld console with its own display. So far so normal - but here's the twist: we've heard the screen is bookended by two controller sections on either side, which can be attached or detached as required.

Then, when you get home, the system can connect to your TV for gaming on the big screen.

A base unit, or dock station, is used to connect the brain of the NX - within the controller - to display on your TV.

NX will use game cartridges as its choice of physical media, multiple sources have also told us.

Considering NX's basis as a handheld first and foremost, the choice may not come as too much of a surprise - although we have heard the suggestion Nintendo recommends a 32GB cartridge, which is small when considering the size of many modern games.

Naturally, we expect digital game downloads will also be available. We were told Nintendo considered but then decided against making a system which supported digital downloads only.

Due to the radical change in hardware design and internal technology, we've been told by one source that there are no plans for backwards compatibility.

Another source said the system would run on a new operating system from Nintendo. It won't, contrary to some earlier rumours, simply run on Android.

Inside the NX, as stated above, the system will harness Nvidia's powerful mobile processor Tegra. Graphical comparisons with current consoles are difficult due to the vastly different nature of the device - but once again we've heard Nintendo is not chasing graphical parity. Quite the opposite, it is sacrificing power to ensure it can squeeze all of this technology into a handheld, something which also tallies with earlier reports.

Finally, we've heard from one source that NX planning has recently moved up a gear within Nintendo ahead of the console's unveiling, which is currently slated for September.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-26-nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers

And Digital Foundry on the Nvidia Tegra:

But just how powerful is the NX relatively? In terms of the capabilities of Tegra X1, consider this: Doom BFG Edition on Xbox 360 and PS3 runs at 720p60 with frame-rate drops. The same game running on the Shield Android TV micro-console, based on X1, hands in a near-flawless 1080p60 presentation. Trine 2 - another 720p30 game on Sony and Microsoft's last-gen consoles - operates at 1080p30 on Tegra X1. Typically speaking, OpenGL games port really well to Tegra X1, while DirectX ports, like Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and the recently released Resident Evil 5, aren't so impressive.

But the real question is this - what if the Tegra X1 hardware is completely divorced from its current Android underpinnings and paired up with direct, low-level access? If you're looking for an example of the revelatory upgrade to perceived performance this can have, consider the glory days of PlayStation Vita - Uncharted: Golden Abyss, WipEout 2048, Gravity Rush, and yes, a range of impressive PS3 ports. These were all powered by a downclocked version of the same GPU found in the iPad 3 and judged by today's standards, it's positively ancient technology. However, even to this day, it's hard to find a mobile shooter with anything like the technical sophistication of Guerrilla Cambridge's impressive Killzone: Mercenary.

There's an additional wrinkle to the story too, albeit one we should treat with caution as it is single-source in nature with a lot of additional speculation on our part. This relates to the idea that the Tegra X1 in the NX development hardware is apparently actively cooled, with audible fan noise. With that in mind, we can't help but wonder whether X1 is the final hardware we'll see in the NX. Could it actually be a placeholder for Tegra X2? It's a new mobile processor Nvidia has in its arsenal and what's surprising about it is how little we actually know about it.

Information on X2 is very limited, to the point where all the technical info we have on it is condensed into one presentation you can read here - 'Embedded Supercomputing at Nvidia' by Alex Ramirez of Nvidia Research. What we do know is that it is a core component of Nvidia's new Drive PX2 system for the automotive industry, where two Tegra X2s are paired with a brace of the firm's discrete GPUs based on the cutting-edge Pascal architecture.

It is worth stressing with a firm emphasis that everything we have heard so far points to Tegra X1 as the SoC of choice for Nintendo NX, and Tegra X2 may simply be a derivative version of X1 with Denver CPU cores, designed for Nvidia's burgeoning automotive line - we literally know very little about it. However, perhaps another factor to consider is launch timing. NX launches in March 2017, almost two years after Shield Android TV with Tegra X1 launched in May 2015. The timing may suggest that Nintendo is waiting for mass production to become available on a more cutting edge part. If the older Tegra X1 is indeed the core component, availability there would not be a problem, suggesting a delay elsewhere in the pipeline. Alternatively, it may simply be the case that Nintendo is holding fire until a compelling array of launch software is ready.

One element worth pointing out is that the move to a completely new architecture will have backwards compatibility ramifications. Tegra technology would have no problem whatsoever coping with existing virtual console emulation (and indeed, the X1-powered Shield Android TV is one of the best emulator boxes on the market) but running Wii U titles may be a stretch too far.

And one final note - we're still chasing down details on the NX's screen resolution. While Tegra X1 has shown some potential at full 1080p, clearly a lower pixel count would free up GPU resources for more detailed imagery. On a mobile device, even a 720p screen could work beautifully - and few can complain about the quality of Vita's 540p panel. However, on the flip-side, NX is indeed a console/mobile hybrid. The games still have to look good on a conventional HDTV in a world where 1080p is effectively the standard.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nintendo-nx-mobile-games-machine-powered-by-nvidia-tegra

I'm rather fond of it and it makes sense - Nintendo should be doing one single console and not splitting the handheld and home into two devices.

As I wrote some weeks back, imagining a hybrid console was easier for me than trying to figure out how it might look and work in reality. Even with the very basic mock up Eurogamer tweeted it's difficult to get a sense of how it will actually feel to use. Furthermore, how might it all be priced?

I'm not wholly against the concept by any means. The chipset puts it above the Wii U which we know Nintendo could still make pretty games with, and we have to be honest in accepting that once again third parties need not even bother applying here. Indeed, the mobile nvidia architecture is presumably off putting when devs work elsewhere revolves around x86, unless the handheld factor of the NX allows it to benefit purely as a system driven by exclusives and no ports (but even in that case I can't picture western third parties embracing it, just as they ignored the 3DS).

My concern about this is that Nintendo is trying to be all things to all people and none of them will be served well with a hybrid console/portable device.

From the perspective of hardware performance, people haven't exactly been served well with Nintendo having separate living room and handhelds either though. From a software point of view, there is potentially an upside for both Nintendo and fans alike in having all first-party development focusing on one single system architecture. 

Yeah. And by going the handheld route they keep to the side of business that has, of late, done the best for them. It's not the worst idea I've ever heard, so I'll keep an open mind until we hear more...

...then buy it anyway.

I'm hopeful for the NX and if it works half as well as ATV games do with a gamepad + Nintendo titles and quality I'll be happy.

I find the response to these latest rumors a bit of a surprise. Everything in the new rumor has been hinted at over the past year.  I think it's been pretty clear the device would be a hybrid handheld with TV output capability. 

I find the response to these latest rumors a bit of a surprise. Everything in the new rumor has been hinted at over the past year.  I think it's been pretty clear the device would be a hybrid handheld with TV output capability.

Yep. I'm confident Eurogamer's on the money here (no inside info!).

Still almost total lack of interest from me.

I think it's the right thing. It's a concept I've been throwing out around in our "Nintendo is dooooooomed" discussions for a good while now, but again as easy as it is to imagine, it's still a little harder for me to work out the practicality of it, especially with this concept of controllers being able to detach from the device, and there being a docking station and so on. I really need to see what this thing looks like. Will it be more comfortable to play with than the Wii U pad or a 3DS? Could the docking station add a touch more processing/gpu power when the NX is connected to a TV? There are a fair few questions, so if the reveal will come as soon as September then I look forward to it.

I think the single system concept is right for Nintendo. They known western third party support is a lost cause. Ok, Ubisoft will surely be there at launch with something like a Watch Dogs spin off nobody has asked for, but they will probably stick around as long as they did for the Wii U after their games fail to sell in any decent quantity. Will it matter though? In consolidating first party development to a single system Nintendo put themselves in quite a good position to potentially eradicate the so called "drought" that plagued both 3DS and Wii U in their first years. Combine the best first-party titles the U and 3DS had to offer and that could mean a very strong lineup of exclusives. If they can do that, and actually better exploit the potential cash cow that is the Virtual Console (filling it with more games quicker, at better prices and extending to Cube titles) then their output alone could make the system appealing IF the price of the NX is right.

I've seen a lot of fans calling for it to be named the 'Nintendo GO.' I rather like that. 

I'm imagining a mix of something along the lines of the 3DS/WiiU gamepad and this:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/HJEM2VC/A/gamevice-controller-for-97-inch-ipad-pro-ipad-air-2-ipad-air?fnode=a1

As far as the docking station adding GPU power, who knows, it may not be necessary. Its rumored to use the Tegra X2:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/07/rumour_nintendo_nx_will_be_powered_by_nvidias_mobile-focused_tegra_tech

The A9X in the IPP already pulls 163fps in t-rex and 79fps in Manhattan offscreen (1080P) so I'd say it's reasonable to assume a new Tegra X2 chip would match or exceed that performance. This is still not in PS4/XBone range but is levels above the 3DS and comparable to (maybe better than) the WiiU's R6 GPU.

The X2 theory is nice, but probably hoping too much of Nintendo. If the chips are already out there then surely they'd be in the dev kits instead of the X1. Given how old the X1 chip will be come March however, one can only hope...

Chris Kohler of Wired has a good article up about how it makes sense for Nintendo to try and thread the needle at this point.

I also like the speculation that since middle-tier Japanese devs can't really do much with PS4 because of costs and the Vita's on its last legs that a bunch of them might migrate to the lower power NX as a consequence. That's speculation, obviously, but there's been enough solid Vita that I missed that I could get behind such a development.