LCVG
Angry the Clown

Nintendo Switch discussion thread (It's out. It's good. Even the chump who started this thread finally bought one. Deal with it.)

On 12/7/2018 at 12:49 PM, MastaRedSnappa said:

I would definitely get:

1) a screen protector ($10 Amazon so why even risk the screen getting scratched?)

2) a micro SD card ($20 on Amazon for a 128GB one... some games are only available as digital downloads) 

3) a case (only if you're planning on travelling with the Switch)

After you get some time with the joy-cons, you should get a good idea of whether you can use them long-term or not. They are perfectly fine for most games but for games like Fortnite, they are not so good. The size of the analog sticks and face buttons are really small. The Pro controller is a great remedy for that.

What this guy said, but if I had to be brand specific.

amFilm for screen protector, Samsung for microSD, and RDS cases.

Happy with my Orzly screen protector if you want an alternative; to the extent that my brother took his other brand one off and got me to replace it with one as well. 

They added Zelda 2 because I bought it for my play through, you’re welcome :P.

Vesperia’s getting good reviews. I do not have the cash for it right now, but hopefully later this year. They added a full on cooking competition which sounds like a ton of fun - hunting down the Wonder Chef in each town was a good time in the original.

There’s also a LOT of hinting from SE twitter accounts that something related to Bravely Default is coming to Switch this year. Those games with a graphic lick of paint would make for a tasty re-buy.

1 hour ago, Mark E said:

They added Zelda 2 because I bought it for my play through, you’re welcome :P.

This sorta sounds like you bought it to make a play through video.  Did you?  Or you just played through?  

What Jeff said. :)

I’m making my way through the Zelda series one game at a time. No videos because that’s a youngsters game and I don’t want people to watch me reloading over and over ;).

• Haha 1

I miss threads sometimes, I don't even know how. Like, how did I miss that! That's a pretty epic undertaking!  👍

Definitely. I think heavy crossover is inevitable, but if they want to get a bulk of them out of the way first then all the better, plus we at least gain portability. It's interesting to see Stunt Race FX on there (loved that game back in the day) as it's not one that plays well on a hacked Classic, at least it wasn't the last time I updated Hackchi. 

Just give me all the Fire Emblem news thanks.

And other stuff I want that I don’t even know about yet.

C’mooonnnnn Wind Waker HD or Wonderful 101 ports. ☺️

I wonder if we’ll get some Animal Crossing news or if they plan for a dedicated reveal in a few months.

Also, we may find out if they’re willing to throw us Metroid Prime Trilogy as an apology for 4’s delay, or whether they intend to sit on it until a later date. Hopefully the former since it’s supposedly done. 

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Also, we may find out if they’re willing to throw us Metroid Prime Trilogy as an apology for 4’s delay, or whether they intend to sit on it until a later date. Hopefully the former since it’s supposedly done. 

This would be THE only thing to get me to buy a Switch.  Metroid 4 would be the reason to hold onto it.  

Bah! Nintendo is holding this Direct just as I leave work for the day.

I suppose I can catch up on Twitter and see what was announced.

That was solid. Lots of new unknown announcements and all of them, for now, penciled in for 2019.

A free to play Tetris game hits the eShop tonight for subscribers:

John’s going to have to update his Digital Foundry Tetris retrospective. 😆

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

That was solid. Lots of new unknown announcements and all of them, for now, penciled in for 2019.

By the end, I'd pre-ordered four games.  The only reason it was only four is that I'd already pre-ordered a couple, and it looks like Box Boy + Box Girl is digital-only.  :)

I was really impressed, and it has me more excited about the Switch than ever...coming off what I felt was a tremendously disappointing year.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the new Boxboy. I really like those on the 3DS so it’s cool to see a new one coming to the Switch. Really fun puzzler.

58 minutes ago, Adam Tyner said:

I was really impressed, and it has me more excited about the Switch than ever...coming off what I felt was a tremendously disappointing year.

I felt that 2017 was satisfactory for the Switch. Smash was a glorious high to end the year on if nothing else, and certainly it’d be fair to say it was a year propped up by Wii U ports (albeit good ones). Octopath Traveller gained a lot of love and I am still eager to pick that up. I still intend to get Kirby and Captain Toad as well.

This year we’re getting into the meat of development though I think. Devs know the tools, and publishers can see the system is a success beyond its launch window at this poiny. Again, what impressed me most was that all the new announcements were unexpected games, all are targeting 2019, and many were strong looking titles from reputable Japanese third parties. On top of everything from last night we’ve still hopefully got Animal Crossing, Luigi’s Mansion 3 And Pokemon due this year, and no doubt several unknown games and one or two more U ports.

I’m wondering what their big E3 game will be. This was discussed on Easy Allies some months back and they raised a good point that neither Animal Crossing or Pokemon really have gameplay styles you hype up to queue for on the show floor. They’re more suited to Nintendo Treehouse. 

49 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I felt that 2017 was satisfactory for the Switch.

Me too.  2018, on the other hand...  ;)

No, I know what you mean.  I feel like 2018 was lopsided in favor of Wii U ports, which is a treasure trove for most people but less exciting for oddballs like me who'd already gobbled up basically everything on the Wii U.  Aside from a few physical releases of smaller/indie games, the only Switch title I picked up for almost the entire year was Kirby Star Allies, which was no great shakes.  I did get Smash for Christmas, but I'm in the tiny minority of not being all that much of a fan of the series, and I still haven't actually fired it up yet.

So I'm not saying last year was unequivocally bad, but it was a big letdown for me, personally.

• Haha 1