LCVG
Angry the Clown

Nintendo Switch discussion thread (It's out. It's good. Even the chump who started this thread finally bought one. Deal with it.)

3 hours ago, Adam Tyner said:

Me too.  2018, on the other hand...  ;)

Making it to half way through February before forgetting what year it was is pretty good going for me.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Adam Tyner said:

Me too.  2018, on the other hand...  ;)

No, I know what you mean.  I feel like 2018 was lopsided in favor of Wii U ports, which is a treasure trove for most people but less exciting for oddballs like me who'd already gobbled up basically everything on the Wii U.  Aside from a few physical releases of smaller/indie games, the only Switch title I picked up for almost the entire year was Kirby Star Allies, which was no great shakes.  I did get Smash for Christmas, but I'm in the tiny minority of not being all that much of a fan of the series, and I still haven't actually fired it up yet.

So I'm not saying last year was unequivocally bad, but it was a big letdown for me, personally.

You and I are on the same page. As another weirdo that really enjoyed the Wii U and already had those games, 2018 wasn’t a terribly exciting year on the Switch for me.

I did end up really enjoying Smash though. I need to get back to it.:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kyle-K said:

I will never wrap my head around T spins.  Every time he set one up I reflexively cringed.

Me too.  One day I was like "I get it now" and then I tried to do one and failed miserably.

Reggie’s body is ready... for something else.

Real end of an era there. Sad to see a friendly face go, but at least there seems to be nothing troublesome behind the decision. 

(Doug) Bowser will be taking over.

He definitely got caught in a airport bathroom fucking a dead cat.  I'm calling it now.

I've spent a lot of time observing great speakers and great speaking techniques this passed year.  So it stands out how practiced he is at giving this type of speech.

So we built all of the Labo vehicle kit this weekend, and it's a neat kit.  Once you have the pedal, key, and wheel done, you can start playing the adventure mode, and there's even a slot car game that unlocks as soon as you have the pedal, so there's more to do earlier on than with the robot kit.  Once you get into the "adventure" mode, it's basically an open world where you can drive around and complete various objectives that it gives you.  Once you go back and build the sub and plane controls, you can explore more areas. 

Not sure what the longevity will be though.  Calvin played the robot game very intensely for maybe 4 hours before deciding he was done with it, but he'll still pull it out occasionally.  So far he likes being able to switch between vehicle modes, and he figured out that you can transform in very odd places.  Switching to the car in mid-air pops a parachute.  Switching to the sub on land lets you move, albeit slowly. 

As for the build quality-there's some neat stuff at play here.  It's still kind of amazing that all of this works, and seems reasonably structurally stable as well.  The joystick for the plane seems to be the most fragile piece, and I can see the base spring tearing at some point.  The trigger on it is pretty ingenious though-it relies on the flexibility of the cardboard to pull up a tab in the base, rather than just having something that triggers a button on the joycon like the button on the top of the key.  Again, building this was beyond the patience, and probably skill, of a 7 year old, but some kids may do better with it.  The instructions are, as before, well presented, with more interesting writing than you'd expect. 

The question now is-what's next?  The first two kits were obviously ready for launch, and I'm sure the third was in deep development at that point, but will there be another release?  There were some deep discounts on the robot kit at Christmas, and an offer of 2 kits for $100, so I don't think they caught on as well as Nintendo might have hoped. 

I picked up one of the unsung Switch early titles yesterday, Voez, which is rhythm deliciousness. It’s an iOS port but the Switch touchscreen is perfect for it and for a higher upfront cost you get everything unlocked and all updates free.

The music is good (the opening song is wedged in my head) and the gameplay is simple but very effective. I recommend the demo, it’s a blast. There are currently just over 130 songs with three difficulty levels right now, which isn’t too shabby.

There will be a Pokemon Direct tomorrow:

That’s very brief. Makes me wonder if it’s going to be a tease at the new core game followed by an apology that it will not be coming out this year.

• Haha 1

Ace Attorney Trilogy releases on April 9th!

Yoink!

Also Steins; Gate Elite hit - it is one of the most well regarded visual novels and I’ve watched part of the anime based on it. If you like dense science and tons of conspiracy theory and butterfly effect style trying to fix things after time travel goes horribly wrong, it gets high marks.

Anybody else playing Tetris 99? That game is stupid fun and a brilliant premise. My girlfriend is currently better than I am though :P

• Like 2

I just bought a Switch.

Can you replace the battery?  It would suck to have a console that, like a phone, loses its charge retention over time and there is nothing you can do about it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

Can you replace the battery?  It would suck to have a console that, like a phone, loses its charge retention over time and there is nothing you can do about it.

Don't worry, iFixit's got you covered:

49 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

I just bought a Switch.

Brave considering there's a much rumored second revision coming later this year. Likely to be announced at E3 or close to that timeframe.

13 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Brave considering there's a much rumored second revision coming later this year. Likely to be announced at E3 or close to that timeframe.

53871204969f6e27cf02c6f427a93dab.jpg

• Haha 1

I bought one about two weeks ago, and loving it so far. I actually bought Mario + Rabbids before I bought the Switch. I've played mostly connected to the TV, but enjoyed handheld mode on a work trip to Atlanta. Made the plane ride go very quickly (and I've made that trip enough to know how long it normally feels).

I've since picked up Zelda:BOTW and Valkyria Chronicles 4 on sale and bought FFIX on the eShop. Holding off diving into them until I finish up M+R first; currently on 4-4 or so. Great game (thanks to @Angry the Clown for pimping it so hard over the last several months)!

• Like 2