LCVG
Angry the Clown

Nintendo Switch discussion thread (It's out. It's good. Even the chump who started this thread finally bought one. Deal with it.)

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

Good to know. Will do it this evening. 

I hope we see a SNES app around E3. 

This!  I want to play Super Metroid!

Persona 5, Metroid Prime Trilogy and, most surprising, A Link to the Past all showed up in Best Buy's system this week:

• Like 1

Well, this is actually kind of dissapointing.  Since I was hoping SNES games would be included with the subscription.  This implies, nope, they're going to charge probably $30 for those games.  Again.

Hmmm. I don’t read it that way. We’ve seen leaks of SNES app titles from people who have trawled through the existing coding. I’m sure that’s coming.

If anything the curious Link to the Past entry made me think that if Best Buy are listing it then it’s more likely to be getting a Link’s Awakening style makeover. 

20 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Hmmm. I don’t read it that way. We’ve seen leaks of SNES app titles from people who have trawled through the existing coding. I’m sure that’s coming.

If anything the curious Link to the Past entry made me think that if Best Buy are listing it then it’s more likely to be getting a Link’s Awakening style makeover. 

That would be cool.  I guess I'm still not giving Nintendo the benefit of the doubt for stuff like this.

11 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

That would be cool.  I guess I'm still not giving Nintendo the benefit of the doubt for stuff like this.

You might have missed it in January but this is what was discovered from data mining the NES app:

My feeling is that if Nintendo are ever going to start charging individually for old games it will possibly be N64 games, and most surely Cube and Wii titles (or remakes like Link's Awakening) as Cube/Wii titles stand the chance of being hardware enhanced as we've seen from official ports of Mario Galaxy...etc to NVIDIA Shield in China. 

Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild are getting VR functionality via Labo on the 26th.

Zelda's VR mode is for the full game. Quite strange they are even doing this given the frame rate and resolution limitations. I don't even think you can use Labo VR without holding it to your face the whole time either, can you?

• Like 1

EU eShop has a 'Blockbuster' sale running from today feating Zelda, Mario Odyssey, Dark Souls, Octopath Traveller and others. Octopath Traveller is one I am eyeing although frustratingly it is more expensive in this sale than it was in Dec when it was 29.99. 

I broke down and bought a trio of Pro Controllers tonight. I bought them at Best Buy and Target. BB had two in stock, and Target had one, which worked out perfectly. I got both stores to price match Amazon as well, where they are being sold for $56.99 instead of $69.99. ($13 off).

I had one already, but my two boys are getting more into Mario Kart 8 and want to play multiplayer with their old man. We’ve been getting along fine using the one Pro Controller I already have (for me) and the two Joy Cons (for the boys). However, the older boy has been wanting to use the Pro instead the last few rounds and has been pretty upset when I wouldn’t let him use it. I don’t blame him. Using the Joy Cons on their side isn’t a great experience, even for someone with little hands. 

Not it only that, but I have the earlier version of the Joy Cons with the wonky connectivity issues in the left one. You have to point it at the Switch in just the right way, otherwise it won’t register the input. It’s not uncommon for it to just disconnect altogether in the middle of a game either. 

Anyway, now the three of us all have a Pro Controller, with an additional one in case Mom wants to play as well. So family game time can perhaps be a little more fun for everyone. 

• Like 2

I really like the Pro controller I have to say. I think, while for slightly different reasons, on balance I like it as much as the XB1S pad. 

I wonder if the alleged higher performance Switch would come with one as standard. 

Uniqlo are putting some nice Nintendo t-shirts on sale again, this time all 'Mario Family Museum' themed.

Naturally I have to have this one:

goods_419656_sub7?$pdp-medium$

There's one with Boos too, though kind of wish it didn't have them on a pocket.

goods_419649_sub7?$pdp-medium$

goods_419649_sub8?$pdp-medium$

Lots of others available if you go to the Uniqlo website.

No shirts with Thwomps on. For shame. 

• Like 1

Firmware 8.0 is out and it finally brings some much needed sorting options to the main menu!

50CC802E-6C9A-4D64-9668-2DD7EE01D216.png

• Like 1

The sorting on the All Software screen is nice but I wish they allowed sorting on the Home Menu like they do on the NES Online app. I really like how the game covers/icons shrink as you add more to a row in the NES Online app. 

• Like 1

Luigi’s Mansion 3 and Animal Crossing are still on target for 2019 according to Nintendo’s latest quarterly briefing.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/190425_3e.pdf

It really will be a huge 4th quarter if those two definitely join Pokemon and Link’s Awakening (and whatever else they might not have announced yet).

Nintendo have announced game vouchers for Online subscription members, allowing you to buy two games from a list of first party published titles (inc some pre-orders) and make a saving of around 15% off retail price. Voucher prices vary from region to region, but for the UK it’s £84 for two and a bonus 420 coins (£4.20), while for the US it’s $99.99 for two and I believe 500 coins.

You don’t have to redeem vouchers immediately, or even use them at the same time. They do need to be redeemed within one year of purchase however.

It’s an interesting alternative to my grabbing keys from third parties like CDkeys as, like the average CDKeys or Shopto digital code price, this effectively brings in most games at £42 each. I’d have to monitor it to see when it works out best to buy from a third party or via the voucher scheme. 

• Like 1