LCVG
EnemaEms

4K for life......for now.

I’d be using it mainly with an AppleTV (would get the 4K one) and eventually some 4K UHD player. And likely a PS4 pro at some point. 

Is the the lag ok for gaming?

Practically none to speak of for lag. I think it is in the mid to high 20’s. No problem with PS4 Pro but I think it only does HDR at 1080p or something weird like that. 

And looking around it seems seems that the Apple 4K should be good too. You will have to make sure it is set for either 24 or 30 hz though. The 5040 will not accept hdr over refresh rates higher than that due to the HDMI board on the unit. And apparently this makes the ui on the Apple “jittery.”  🤷‍♂️

I haven't had any problem with the two UHD players I have, a cheap Philips and a decent Sony.   No compatibility problems with either but don’t buy them. That LG seems to be getting some good reviews around here. 

Thanks for the input. I’ve decided to hold off. I read up on the HDR issues and it just seems like the kind of thing that should be smoothed out in the next version. 

• Like 1

Despite them no longer manufacturing players Oppo’s dedication to their customers goes from strength strength with HDR10+ support coming soon:

Really do love my 203. My only remaining want is dolby vision support via the HDMI input if hooking up an AppleTV...etc

Currently thinking I should just wait and see what works and what doesn't, but the whole situation with HDMI cables has confused the hell out of me. As far as I can tell, there are fundamentally just four types of cable; with/without Ethernet and regular/"high" speed. So my current cables that were called "high speed" a few years back might well work just fine.

Is there any easy way to tell what all these things I have lying around are, without just trying them? As far as I can see I'm only asking the Xbox One S and any Apple TV I buy of pushing a full 4k HDR signal, and the cable that came with the Xbox is supposedly fine for it.

Got my Vizio P-Series 65-F1 on Monday, and I adore it.  Got a great panel with little to no DSE, except in the corners where it's barely noticeable.

Now I have spend a good amount of time with the settings and get the picture set up for TV/Movie and Gaming, but it looks spectacular with very little fiddling already.

My wife even admitted it was money well spent (she was dubious, until I fired up the demo program on the set when I got it put together.)  :D

• Like 2

If you have amazon prime turn on Marvelous Mrs Maizel. It is one of the best looking 4k shows.

• Like 1

Best Buy has the LG UBK90 player for $180 with free remote, or they have an open box in like new condition  for $169.

Getting one of those "fake" 4K projectors.  I don't care if it's fake, as long as it looks good. and will have 3D in my HT, so there's that, too!  It also has Alexa built-in, so I can scream at the dang thing like I do the Echoes around the house.  "DAMN IT, ALEXA!  TURN.  OFF.  PROJECTOR!"

• Like 1

On 2/5/2019 at 4:51 AM, Angry the Clown said:

The epson projectors are very good.

It was a close call between the Epson and the Optoma, but I've owned Optoma projectors and went with my comfort zone on this investment.  

Dang it.  Midwest severe weather delaying my projector delivery, on top of what is supposed to happen here tomorrow/Saturday, bet it won't come until Monday now.  Bummer.  

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 12:37 PM, Jordan_E said:

Getting one of those "fake" 4K projectors.  I don't care if it's fake, as long as it looks good. and will have 3D in my HT, so there's that, too!  It also has Alexa built-in, so I can scream at the dang thing like I do the Echoes around the house.  "DAMN IT, ALEXA!  TURN.  OFF.  PROJECTOR!"

Yeah alexa needs a lot of work still

1 hour ago, JoeyN said:

Yeah alexa needs a lot of work still

Worst is when they have a dang Alexa commercial on Sirius/XM, which I listen to all day, and you hear that tone... :angry:

8 hours ago, Jordan_E said:

New projector.  Today.  Unless UPS wimps out again!  USPS been out there bringing the dang mail, STEP UP, UPS!

Yep.  They wimped out.  Tomorrow.  Hopefully.

Have to do a TON of adjustments, but first viewing (Halloween 2018) was very, very nice!  The HDR on Halloween was superb, with all the police lights in the night sequences.  A lot of POP!  Today, I will be watching/sampling several titles, including IT, Star Trek (JJ Abrams), and probably Infinity War.  Saving the majority for next week, when my wife and daughter go off on a trip.  

• Like 3

Infinity War.  Wow.  Also, used the HDR Sim mode for Jaws.  Wow.  Going to test a few more Blu Rays with that mode today.  Need to get new glasses for the 3D.

• Like 1

Samsung will cease production of UHD Players.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2019/02/15/samsung-quits-4k-blu-ray-player-market/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Have to admit that’s a little concerning, even though the article makes a point about Sony and Panasonic having the lion’s share of the player market. John’s also a little pessimistic on the software sale front in that article but he shouldn’t be in my opinion (UHD disc sales seem to be a little bit ahead of where Blu-ray was three years in, and while DVD still has a big chunknof the market it is falling, while Blu is actually holding on fine, as one would honestly expect in the HD/4k era).

• Sad 1

It’s not good news that they’re giving up, no. But I’d be more concerned if it were someone who had made a player people wanted to buy (yes, i know we’ve lost Oppo, and that was a worry). I’ve seen a lot of love for the Sony, a fair bit for the Panasonic (their bottom-end model is the cheapest half-decent one, and their high-end is built like a brick outhouse) and even a few positive recommendations for the LG (which partner quite well with their OLEDs for the price). Nobody wants the Samsung, though, and they’ve still not admitted they’ve backed the wrong horse on the Dolby fight. 

That's the main thing yeah, their investment in HDR10+ makes it impossible for them to consider supporting DV, singling their players out on the market as the only non DV compatible player manufacturer now. The Sony's deliver a lot of bang for the buck when it comes to quality and reliability, and Panasonic have some very nice higher end models (it's just a damn shame it is impossible to hack Panasonic players for region free Blu-ray support).

I don’t think I’ve even got any DV discs yet, but I simply can’t justify buying a standalone player that’s going to be less capable than my Xbox. 

5 hours ago, iainl said:

I don’t think I’ve even got any DV discs yet, but I simply can’t justify buying a standalone player that’s going to be less capable than my Xbox. 

I have a few. Like I said if I did not get an incredible deal on the UBK90 , i would have waited, as I have a xbox. But its a great player either way.