LCVG
EnemaEms

4K for life......for now.

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

The Apple TV does indeed lock into Dolby Vision.

Is using the Web OS apps on the LG out of the question for you?

I have my set disconnected from the internet to avoid the firmware update pop-up. LG released firmware for the B6 which raises blacks that I have no interest in installing and they have no way to disable notifications. I was able to stop the pop-up briefly by putting the LG web addresses into an exclude list in my router but they end up reappearing after awhile. It's just easier to disconnect the set.

I love the WebOS setup so its not any dislike for it that is pushing my need for an external streaming device. Frankly, the Sony player in question is doing a nice job right now as it offers HDR enabled versions of the big apps I use. The Roku just has a bunch of smaller ones I'd like to have access to as well and that don't appear in WebOS either.

11 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I have my set disconnected from the internet to avoid the firmware update pop-up. LG released firmware for the B6 which raises blacks that I have no interest in installing and they have no way to disable notifications. I was able to stop the pop-up briefly by putting the LG web addresses into an exclude list in my router but they end up reappearing after awhile. It's just easier to disconnect the set.

The B6 doesn’t have the option to disable auto updates? It’s there under General > About this TV on my E6.

38 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

The B6 doesn’t have the option to disable auto updates? It’s there under General > About this TV on my E6.

It does and its checked but that doesn’t stop the set from prompting that there’s an update and asking for permission to install it every time it gets powered on while connected to the internet.

Auto updates means just that - it does it without prompts or asking. The opposite on these sets is to prompt once it sees there’s an update out there. Every time.

For those with the LG OLED - did you use the rtings settings and go from there? That's what I've been doing - and I'm very happy - but curious if anyone did anything further.

Also I heard mention of a process that helps "exercise" or settle in the OLED pixels. Is that a thing?

I used settings from the UK's AV Forums as a base, settings recommended by users on the forum itself vs the actual forum's Youtube set up guide , and then after a few weeks I calibrated the greyscale with my colorimeter, HCFR software and the displaycalibrations test pattern disc. There seems to be a crazy degree of variance between panels, at least in the 2016 models (I cannot speak for the 2017 sets), where two people might own the same set but one may require more fiddling to diminish some anomalies compared to the other. With my E6 for example I have to bring contrast down below 90 to help ease posterisation issues (in both SDR and HDR). 

After you run it in for a month you'd do well to call a pro in to calibrate for SDR and HDR (I like to fiddle with it all myself as I already own a colorimeter, though calibrating for HDR is well beyond my understanding). 

Has anyone tried or heard how the Xbox one S is for 4K Blu-ray playback? I probably have enough stuff to trade in at gamestop to pick one up without having to layout more $$ at the moment.

I've only heard that it's capable but annoying if you just want to watch discs, especially if you don't have the media remote. Otherwise it's probably the best value especially if you're thinking of doing some gaming.

18 minutes ago, JoeyN said:

Has anyone tried or heard how the Xbox one S is for 4K Blu-ray playback? I probably have enough stuff to trade in at gamestop to pick one up without having to layout more $$ at the moment.

Yes that’s what I’ve been using. Works just fine for me. 

The XBox UI is not a factor since you insert the disc, disc begins playing. 

But just in case I have the Blu-ray player pinned. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Josh said:

I've only heard that it's capable but annoying if you just want to watch discs, especially if you don't have the media remote. Otherwise it's probably the best value especially if you're thinking of doing some gaming.

Ok thanks fellas. I plan on getting a stand-alone player eventually, but upgrading my regular one to an S for now will be it.

• Like 1

Welp my LG UP970 has become useless to me.  Every time I put in a UHD disc it starts making a horrible buzzing sound as the disc spins up.  There are vids on the interwebs of people having the same issue.  I knew the build quality is crap when I got it but was hoping it would last long enough until prices come down on better quality units.  For now I'll just swap it for a new one at Best Buy since its still under warranty.  

9 minutes ago, Cyberwoo said:

Welp my LG UP970 has become useless to me.  Every time I put in a UHD disc it starts making a horrible buzzing sound as the disc spins up.  There are vids on the interwebs of people having the same issue.  I knew the build quality is crap when I got it but was hoping it would last long enough until prices come down on better quality units.  For now I'll just swap it for a new one at Best Buy since its still under warranty.  

Did you install the Dolby Vision update? Apparently it was causing issues and they rolled it back.

23 hours ago, Josh said:

Did you install the Dolby Vision update? Apparently it was causing issues and they rolled it back.

Yes?  I just know if I click software update it says there is no new version.  I don't recall when I updated last.  It would be nice if it was just a software issue (causing the disc to spin too fast?) but I doubt it.  The strange thing is it seems like the buzzing sounds is loudest at the beginning and end of the movie and it became silent during a good portion of the movie (Leon the Professional is the disc I was watching).  I was too tired to try some other discs at the time and was too busy yesterday to even think about it.  So maybe certain discs are worse than others because of the way they are created?  It really does seem like the disc is spinning too fast and exceeding the limits of the drive.  Whatever it is...it is annoying.  :)  

Yeah they're saying (internally, at least - I was hanging with the LG folks last week) that that software update really fuxored things.

26 minutes ago, Josh said:

Yeah they're saying (internally, at least - I was hanging with the LG folks last week) that that software update really fuxored things.

Hmm guess I'll hang tight then and wait for the next update.  Thanks for the heads up.

7 hours ago, Cyberwoo said:

Hmm guess I'll hang tight then and wait for the next update.  Thanks for the heads up.

Are you still within the return window?